Overkill?

Maihym

So I'm going to be using this build to stream and play games on such as arma 3 and whatever other games I get. So my question is, am I going for a little more than I need? I'm trying to save money but at the same time I want something good. So is there anything I can downgrade on or change to make this build better?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core OEM/Tray Processor ($319.99 @ SuperBiiz)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.98 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($109.98 @ OutletPC)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($110.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($50.89 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card ($329.98 @ SuperBiiz)

Case: Enermax OSTROG ATX Mid Tower Case ($43.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX US)

Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0B DVD/CD Writer ($12.99 @ Newegg)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) ($86.98 @ OutletPC)

Total: $1157.76

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-07 08:38 EDT-0400

What resolution are you playing at? In general you probably don't need more than 8gb of ram, I'd spend that money on an ssd (I wouldn't build anything that cost more than 600$ without an ssd)

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Why would I need an ssd? From what I heard it only increases boot time and doesn't affect gaming performance unless it's loading screens.

Also I'm going to be playing at 1080p maybe 1440p.

Why would I need an ssd? From what I heard it only increases boot time and doesn't affect gaming performance unless it's loading screens.

Your system will be a LOT more responsive. One of the most noticable differences will be when you open a file that is full of other files. On a HDD it may take like 10 seconds to load all the files, whereas on an SSD it will load instantaneously.

You should really get an SSD mate. Trust me.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

I'm not sure you're going to benefit from having a 4790k, but can't hurt I suppose.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

I'm not sure you're going to benefit from having a 4790k, but can't hurt I suppose.

Well that's not true, it'll hurt my budget if I'm paying for something I don't need. Also I'm fine with waiting for my files to load, that's not big deal to me because it's not like I work with very big files anyways.

Boot time is a great way to test the performance increase because there are so much going on when a system boots up. The benefits an SSD can be seen everytime you use your hard drive, which is most of the time. A mechanical hard drive is a HUGE bottleneck for you system. I would get an i5 and an SSD instead of an i7 with HDD. 

If budget is not a problem just get a 250GB SSD with the i7.

(and btw the 390 is pretty cheap in your country :P That's a nice choise )

Boot time is a great way to test the performance increase because there are so much going on when a system boots up. The benefits an SSD can be seen everytime you use your hard drive, which is most of the time. A mechanical hard drive is a HUGE bottleneck for you system. I would get an i5 and an SSD instead of an i7 with HDD.

Yeah the 390 is really cheap especially for a new gpu. I think eventually I can upgrade to a terabyte ssd but I might downgrade to an i5 to save a little bit of money but which i5 should I get?

Yeah the 390 is really cheap especially for a new gpu. I think eventually I can upgrade to a terabyte ssd but I might downgrade to an i5 to save a little bit of money but which i5 should I get?

Wow I can't believe I posted the same thing 3 times haha. Sorry, I'm on my phone and it messed up for some reason.

Well that's not true, it'll hurt my budget if I'm paying for something I don't need. Also I'm fine with waiting for my files to load, that's not big deal to me because it's not like I work with very big files anyways.

The 4790k will be better for streaming than a 4690k but since you're not video editing, etc (are you?) I don't think it's worth spending 100$ more.

As for the gpu, you could indeed save money buying a 290 or even a 290X.

8GB of VRAM is honestly useless unless you crossfire in the future.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

The 4790k will be better for streaming than a 4690k but since you're not video editing, etc (are you?) I don't think it's worth spending 100$ more.

As for the gpu, you could indeed save money buying a 290 or even a 290X.

8GB of VRAM is honestly useless unless you crossfire in the future.

No I don't really plan on video editing and I was thinking about doing crossfire in the future.

What's useful about hyper threading?

No I don't really plan on video editing and I was thinking about doing crossfire in the future.

Okay then.

As for the cpu, the 4790k is indeed better than the 4690k for streaming. But if you want to save some dollaridoos you can always buy a Xeon E3-1231v3 which is essentially an i7 without an igpu.

Since he will be streaming games, an i7 can come in handy due to hyperthreading technologies :)

Since he will be streaming games, an i7 can come in handy due to hyperthreading technologies :)

No one questioned that. Thing is, is OP willing to spend 100$ more to stream a bit better? And will it be a thing he'll do everyday or now and again?

Okay then.

As for the cpu, the 4790k is indeed better than the 4690k for streaming. But if you want to save some dollaridoos you can always buy a Xeon E3-1231v3 which is essentially an i7 without an igpu.

Do you think I would need an intergrated graphics card?

No one questioned that. Thing is, is OP willing to spend 100$ more to stream a bit better? And will it be a thing he'll do everyday or now and again?

Probably once every two days I'll stream but it won't be an everyday thing. At least as of right now it wont.

Do you think I would need an intergrated graphics card?

Not really. You can't oc the Xeon though.