What to upgrade? Why?

Go to solution Solved by ToeJullar,

Alright screw it.  Im going to do 2 things.

1. Buy the Sabertooth White (Z)97 because its the only thing that will get everything done

2. Sell 980 and buy Galax HOF 980ti (sexiest gpu I've ever seen)

I'll check around between a 4790k and 4690k, from benchmarks i've seen the i7 doesnt kill the i5 really.

Okay, I made a post on here a few days ago regarding a white build and me jumping up to an x99 intel build.

I came across the MSI Krait 970 AMD Mobo made specifically for SLI.  Now what I want your opinions on is this.

I am aiming for a white build, was going to go with the Asus X99 Deluxe/U3.1.  I currently have an AMD FX 8320 (barely overclocked I think only to 4.2 GHZ).  So the question is, Should I simply buy a Krait Motherboard for my current processor as well as buy a 2nd GTX 980 for SLI, or Jump up to the big leagues with a fresh new build using an i7 5820k, Asus X99 Mobo, Crucial DDR4 16 GB memory?

I'm really just feeling like my CPU will bottleneck the power of the 2 980's.  I also feel it would be stupid for me to jump to an 8350/8370 cpu since it would be barely an increase.  What do you think would be the best route?

*I will be buying a 4k Monitor down the road.  I mostly play Battlefield, Mirrors Edge, GarrysMod, League of Legends, KillingFloor, DayZ, Battlefront (when it comes out), Crysis 3*

Edit: I've never owned intel, and all of the X97 white motherboards have awful IO so I dodged that.  I dont care much for the look of the Sabertooth, and the krait edition x97 has a waste of IO using 3 outputs of display.

For gaming the jump to X99 is a waste of money, you are better off with Z97+a decent i5 ;) trust me, x99 is not worth it for JUST gaming

Your cpu is bottlenecking the single 980, adding another would completely useless.  Buy a Z97 board with an i5/i7, get the second 980 and be done.

sold

That would be useless, your cpu bottlenecks one gpu let alone 2.

Any suggestions for:

-Good Motherboard, no flashy colors, at least 8 USB ports

i5 4690k vs i7 4790k

Any suggestions for:

i5 4690k vs i7 4790k

Get the Z97S SLI Krait edition ;) I have it too and for gaming just a 4690K will be plenty

1. Buy the Sabertooth White (Z)97 because its the only thing that will get everything done

I'll check around between a 4790k and 4690k, from benchmarks i've seen the i7 doesnt kill the i5 really.

1. Buy the Sabertooth White X97 because its the only thing that will get everything done

Good, just a typo, not X97 but Z97 ;)

Get the Z97S SLI Krait edition ;) I have it too and for gaming just a 4690K will be plenty

I've always been an MSI fanboy.  Im running a 970 gaming mobo along with an msi 980.  But man, the x97 krait has too much junk on it that I don't need.  By that I mean the VGA, DVI, HDMI Ports.  Plus Who the hell uses a PS/2 Port? I need 8 USB specifically for my Oculus rift and the other crap I have plugged in.  Call me stupid, but its a deal breaker.

Any suggestions for:

i5 4690k vs i7 4790k

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z97sslikraitedition 6 rear 6 front. Not sure if u wanted 8 on back.  The i5 will perform similarly  in most games.If you have the money tho Id just get an i7. Cause why not right.YOLO :rolleyes:

EDIT posted same time.... Guess its not an option for you..

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z97sslikraitedition 6 rear 6 front. Not sure if u wanted 8 on back.  The i5 will perform similarly  in most games.If you have the money tho Id just get an i7. Cause why not right.YOLO :rolleyes:

EDIT posted same time.... Guess its not an option for you..

Yeah, Thanks for your help though.  I seriously Appreciate it.  I'm just hung up on spending a bunch of cash.

Good, just a typo, not X97 but Z97 ;)

@1Scotty1 Your motto makes me think of this song: