HD800s - worth budgeting for?

NumeroSieben

Hey there,

so i love listening to music, and i do it pretty much the majority of the time i'm on the computer. currently i have a much more modest headphone setup of the AD900x. I've never really experienced the high end of audio, i have the best pair of headphones of anyone i know (i don't know many people mind you). Also i live in Australia so our offering is pretty terrible, i haven't seen a store that lets you demo HD800s (not that i know many good stores.., common trend of me not knowing much)

anyway, have you personally ever bought high end audio like HD800s? What was your experience with it like? 

thanks a lot, i'm considering whether i will budget for them or equivalent, along with the required amp+dac to drive them as i certainly don't have that at the moment

Tesla T1's are really good, you can find them for pretty cheap used :)

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Well, its somewhat worth the price tag. My gripe with the HD800 is that there's something thats kind of bad at 6khz, but is very, very, very tolerable. I do regret selling my HD800s, I didn't sell them because of the way it just sucks at 6khz (for its price tag, I hated it), I had to sell them due to an emergency.

Another thing that even some of the most enthusiastic audiophiles do not like about the HD800 is that its just too analytic, in which (I'm not a full-fledged audiophile, just someone who's enthusiastic about music and audio quality) almost every song sounds neutral, nothing peaks out that much. I do like that since I do like my music to be clear as possible.

I would like to recommend other pairs, but I'd like to know what genres of music you listen to.

My Grading System on headphones: SS= 98-100, S= 95-97, A+= 91-94, A= 86-90, A-= 81-85, B+= 76-80, B= 71-75, B-= 66-70, C+= 61-65, C= 56-60, C-= 51-55, D+= 46-50, D= 41-45, D-= 36-40, F+= 31-35, F= 26-30, F-= 21-25, Tier 1 crap= 16-20, Tier 2 crap= 11-15, Tier 3 crap= 6-10, Dahell tier= 1-5, No hope= 0                 Nevertheless, "Enjoy what you enjoy without starting some silly culture war" - Lachlanlikesathing. If you Recommend the M50/X in a thead, I would probably send you a dick pic.

Tesla T1's are really good, you can find them for pretty cheap used :)

I'll look into them, how do they stack up to the 800s? 

Well, its somewhat worth the price tag. My gripe with the HD800 is that there's something thats kind of bad at 6khz, but is very, very, very tolerable. I do regret selling my HD800s, I didn't sell them because of the way it just sucks at 6khz (for its price tag, I hated it), I had to sell them due to an emergency.

Another thing that even some of the most enthusiastic audiophiles do not like about the HD800 is that its just too analytic, in which (I'm not a full-fledged audiophile, just someone who's enthusiastic about music and audio quality) almost every song sounds neutral, nothing peaks out that much. I do like that since I do like my music to be clear as possible.

I would like to recommend other pairs, but I'd like to know what genres of music you listen to.

when it comes to music i tend to like classical stuff, but rock as well. i'm not really confined into a single genre which is an annoying answer indecisive people give but i honestly do listen to a fairly wide range. my favourite two genres however are classical and rock which is why i mention them first. Does that make the neutral nature of the HD800s a benefit? I honestly don't really know what audiophiles mean that much when they say something is warm or otherwise. I love music (and by extension i also enjoy games with very good music, like paradox titles) and being immersed so i'm attracted to the idea of setting a budget to save for something very high end as a christmas gift to myself, but my knowledge is severely lacking. 

They're slightly less accurate, making them more enjoyable to listen to :) They are still very neutral, and have a balanced sound. Some including me prefer it over the HD 800  ^_^

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

when it comes to music i tend to like classical stuff, but rock as well. i'm not really confined into a single genre which is an annoying answer indecisive people give but i honestly do listen to a fairly wide range. my favourite two genres however are classical and rock which is why i mention them first. Does that make the neutral nature of the HD800s a benefit? I honestly don't really know what audiophiles mean that much when they say something is warm or otherwise. I love music (and by extension i also enjoy games with very good music, like paradox titles) and being immersed so i'm attracted to the idea of setting a budget to save for something very high end as a christmas gift to myself, but my knowledge is severely lacking. 

Just get the M50X... you know what? Fuck that, the M50X is is pretty good for its price tag, but then the M40X sounds identical to it (which is cheaper), and pretty much at the end of the day, they just left me wanting more. Much, much more.

Well, thats why I got the HD800s because, to be honest, I don't know which genre I tend to lean to since mine is also all over the place. The HD800s are actually really good, and I like the neutrality when I listen to some metal, classical, classical+metal, house, rock, hip-hop, rap, trance, so on and so forth. But yeah, the nature of the HD800s benefits from it. And also, the HD800s are headphones that just do unbelievably great in even competitive shooters that sound whoring becomes very, very, very pin-sharp. Having played some games with really nice soundtracks while I still had them, the experience was just eargasm. 

Its tough to recommend something over the HD800.

If you like the musical experience, the HD600 or HD650 will do pretty much as good for much less, or get the HD700. Then again, thats like trying to undercut yourself to something that has the best chance that can (and could) give you the musical experience that you want (mine as well), so... I don't know what to recommend over that.

My Grading System on headphones: SS= 98-100, S= 95-97, A+= 91-94, A= 86-90, A-= 81-85, B+= 76-80, B= 71-75, B-= 66-70, C+= 61-65, C= 56-60, C-= 51-55, D+= 46-50, D= 41-45, D-= 36-40, F+= 31-35, F= 26-30, F-= 21-25, Tier 1 crap= 16-20, Tier 2 crap= 11-15, Tier 3 crap= 6-10, Dahell tier= 1-5, No hope= 0                 Nevertheless, "Enjoy what you enjoy without starting some silly culture war" - Lachlanlikesathing. If you Recommend the M50/X in a thead, I would probably send you a dick pic.

They're slightly less accurate, making them more enjoyable to listen to :) They are still very neutral, and have a balanced sound. Some including me prefer it over the HD 800  ^_^

thanks for the recommendation, i'll make sure to research up on that one too. I have HD800s in the title and on my mind mostly because its got a reputation so i heard about it. people mention "HD800s best headphones" etc, but if there's one that is a better option for me i'd be completely willing. not locked into one camp mind made up on anything yet haha

Just get the M50X... you know what? Fuck that, the M50X is is pretty good for its price tag, but then the M40X sounds identical to it (which is cheaper), and pretty much at the end of the day, they just left me wanting more. Much, much more.

Well, thats why I got the HD800s because, to be honest, I don't know which genre I tend to lean to since mine is also all over the place. The HD800s are actually really good, and I like the neutrality when I listen to some metal, classical, classical+metal, house, rock, hip-hop, rap, trance, so on and so forth. But yeah, the nature of the HD800s benefits from it. And also, the HD800s are headphones that just do unbelievably great in even competitive shooters that sound whoring becomes very, very, very pin-sharp. Having played some games with really nice soundtracks while I still had them, the experience was just eargasm. 

Its tough to recommend something over the HD800.

If you like the musical experience, the HD600 or HD650 will do pretty much as good for much less, or get the HD700. Then again, thats like trying to undercut yourself to something that has the best chance that can (and could) give you the musical experience that you want (mine as well), so... I don't know what to recommend over that.

thanks for the information, i'll be saving up and researching for a while and the HD800s from the impressions people have had of them sound really good. i'll look into the high end as much as possible because i like making the most informed decision possible. i think i'm pretty sold on budgetting for something very high end in the headphone department along with the necessary amp and such to drive it. that eargasm is exactly what i'm looking for!

thanks for the information, i'll be saving up and researching for a while and the HD800s from the impressions people have had of them sound really good. i'll look into the high end as much as possible because i like making the most informed decision possible. i think i'm pretty sold on budgetting for something very high end in the headphone department along with the necessary amp and such to drive it. that eargasm is exactly what i'm looking for!

I was also gonna recommend the Audeze LCD-2 since its also neutral, though not as neutral as the HD800 or 600, but its hard to fault those headphones, the mids and the highs are the ones that stand out (the cello, the violins, saxophones, trumpets, the vocals are the ones that stand out), but there's still alot of bass (though its well controlled that its actually where it should be, IMO, have lots of bass but alot more control by putting them at the back, but not all the way back, just back enough that it doesn't overpower everything else, nor does it sound like its too far), and costs much less than HD800. I got my eyes on the LCD-XC (closed back though, still not exactly as neutral as the HD800, but I like those enough over the HD800s due to my situation of having noisy neighbors, therefore I no longer have the environment to appreciate the HD800 or any open-back headphone), so you can check the LCD-X out as well (costs $200 MORE than the HD800, though)

Hey mate,

If you're looking to demo the HD800, try minidisc.com.au (Sydney) or Addictedtoaudio (Melbourne and Sydney).

Also I have previously used the HD800 and they're still magical with some $200 amp + dac combos if you're using quality mp3, flac files.

-> Reply to original OP

I was also gonna recommend the Audeze LCD-2 since its also neutral, though not as neutral as the HD800 or 600, but its hard to fault those headphones, the mids and the highs are the ones that stand out (the cello, the violins, saxophones, trumpets, the vocals are the ones that stand out), but there's still alot of bass (though its well controlled that its actually where it should be, IMO, have lots of bass but alot more control by putting them at the back, but not all the way back, just back enough that it doesn't overpower everything else, nor does it sound like its too far), and costs much less than HD800. I got my eyes on the LCD-XC (closed back though, still not exactly as neutral as the HD800, but I like those enough over the HD800s due to my situation of having noisy neighbors, therefore I no longer have the environment to appreciate the HD800 or any open-back headphone), so you can check the LCD-X out as well (costs $200 MORE than the HD800, though)

Hey Tumble, I found the LCD2 so uncomfortable due to the heaviness that it makes me feel nauseated after using the unit for more the 40 minutes or so. I have turned to using the Sony MDR Z7 as an alternative and love both the sound sig and comfort levels. 

I believe the HD800 shines really well with classical and acoustics however I find the sub-bass to be lacking and not sufficient enough for rock, EDM, trance and etc (reason why for selling them).

Hey there,

so i love listening to music, and i do it pretty much the majority of the time i'm on the computer. currently i have a much more modest headphone setup of the AD900x. I've never really experienced the high end of audio, i have the best pair of headphones of anyone i know (i don't know many people mind you). Also i live in Australia so our offering is pretty terrible, i haven't seen a store that lets you demo HD800s (not that i know many good stores.., common trend of me not knowing much)

anyway, have you personally ever bought high end audio like HD800s? What was your experience with it like? 

thanks a lot, i'm considering whether i will budget for them or equivalent, along with the required amp+dac to drive them as i certainly don't have that at the moment

Hey mate,

If you're looking to demo the HD800, try minidisc.com.au (Sydney) or Addictedtoaudio (Melbourne and Sydney). If you're in another state, cannot help you out with demos. I have previously used the HD800 and they're still magical with some $200 amp + dac combos if you're using quality mp3, flac files, from my experience its more about headphone > Quality of audio file > Source > Cable (I have tried some cables and don't notice a difference).

-> Reply to original OP

Hey Tumble, I found the LCD2 so uncomfortable due to the heaviness that it makes me feel nauseated after using the unit for more the 40 minutes or so. I have turned to using the Sony MDR Z7 as an alternative and love both the sound sig and comfort levels. 

I believe the HD800 shines really well with classical and acoustics however I find the sub-bass to be lacking and not sufficient enough for rock, EDM, trance and etc (reason why for selling them).

Hey mate,

If you're looking to demo the HD800, try minidisc.com.au (Sydney) or Addictedtoaudio (Melbourne and Sydney). If you're in another state, cannot help you out with demos. I have previously used the HD800 and they're still magical with some $200 amp + dac combos if you're using quality mp3, flac files, from my experience its more about headphone > Quality of audio file > Source > Cable (I have tried some cables and don't notice a difference).

-> Reply to original OP

Yeah, I share your concern about the ergonomics of the LCD2. They might be ok in the store, but when you actually use them, especially if you're the type that just have them sitting on your head the entire day in front of the computer, it can get distracting. The HD800s on the other hand are pretty comfortable headphones.

Hey there,

I took the HD800s and I don't really regret the decision. I have some cash to throw around. But I think most people would find HD800s or really any headphone to be a letdown at around that price point. People are expecting the second coming of Jesus because of the price tag, when in fact you're really paying for the last 5%? of your music. And that's still debate-able ish, because EQ can work up some nice magic.

I'd also rather show more restraint in my praise than the opposite. Post purchase rationalization, placebo, blah blah. HE-6 I liked too. Mad Dogs, Alpha Dogs. Ether I've never tried but if I were even more loose with my cash (save for a rainy day), I would've just grabbed it for its cool aesthetics alone, etc. But if you like the sound signature of the 700x then that may be a sign that HD800s would be right for you.

I believe the newer HD800s (higher serial numbers) have a peak at 9khz instead, but generally a smaller peak than the old 6 khz peak. It's hard to prove though, so take my point with a grain of salt.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Hey mate,

If you're looking to demo the HD800, try minidisc.com.au (Sydney) or Addictedtoaudio (Melbourne and Sydney).

Also I have previously used the HD800 and they're still magical with some $200 amp + dac combos if you're using quality mp3, flac files.

-> Reply to original OP

Welp, thats why some of the most enthusiastic audiophiles (atleast the ones I know) would somewhat ignore the HD800 because, like I said, nothing stands out, its too analytic, and even complaints on the sub-bass. There are mods to solve those issues (no soldering needed), but IMHO... I'd rather not tinker with it. And also, the weight of the Audeze headphones in the LCD line is very, very, VERY common. Kind of a rare sight to see and hear someone NOT complain about the weight. IMHO, I'm willing to bear with the weight, but thats just me.

Regarding the Z7... I wish Sony did a refresh of it. It kind of left me wanting more. I like the bass out of it, and I'd give those headphones an A+ no questions asked. But yeah, for its price, and the Shure 1540 filling up what I felt the Z7 lacked, I couldn't get myself to buy a Z7.

I believe the newer HD800s (higher serial numbers) have a peak at 9khz instead, but generally a smaller peak than the old 6 khz peak. It's hard to prove though, so take my point with a grain of salt.

If you're referring to the 2013 version, I haven't heard much from that. Neither positive or negative. Either way, at some point I do still miss those cans. I kind of forgot about them when it got the HE-500 (by all means, paper specs, measurements, and even subjective remarks, the HE-500 can't really compete with the HD800. Its just that I fell inlove with it), but yeah...

If you're referring to the 2013 version, I haven't heard much from that. Neither positive or negative. Either way, at some point I do still miss those cans. I kind of forgot about them when it got the HE-500 (by all means, paper specs, measurements, and even subjective remarks, the HE-500 can't really compete with the HD800. Its just that I fell inlove with it), but yeah...

I remember I really enjoyed the Mad Dogs and Alpha Dogs. I think those cans are under-appreciated. But, I only had them for a short time and my memory grows worse by the day. I also don't remember any weight problems with the Mad Dogs, those are pretty light as were the T50RPs it was based off of I believe.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

I remember I really enjoyed the Mad Dogs and Alpha Dogs. I think those cans are under-appreciated. But, I only had them for a short time and my memory grows worse by the day. I also don't remember any weight problems with the Mad Dogs, those are pretty light as were the T50RPs it was based off of I believe.

They are pretty light and they are excellent. I think the reason that they are so underrated is because of the fact that they are a mod of a relatively cheap headphone, and people would rather have brand new stand alone drivers, etc. I would love a pair of mad dogs or alpha dogs...

@OP, the Denon AH-D7000 are a very good pair of headphones. They have some really, really nice sub-bass, and I am very impressed with them. They are technically closed back, but they are not sealed, so you still get a nice, wide sound stage, but you also get the sub bass of a closed headphone. (although you get none of the isolation :P)

They can sometimes be had for between 6 and 7 hundred dollars, at which point they are absolutely worth the money. (I got mine for $700)

Another thing you might want to look into are the Fostex TH-900, which are basically a better (newer) version of the AH-D7000. I know head-fi isn't exactly kosher all the time around here, but according to Jude over there, the TH-900 are his favorite day to day headphones for all kinds of listening. 

"Written by Jude Mansilla

Take many different types of sulfur-smoked silver foil pieces, and adhere them--in a manner similar to a torn-paper collage--to a black lacquered base over a precisely shaped Japanese cherry birch wood form. Finish it with an overcoat of rich Bordeaux-wine-colored paint, until the finish looks deep, glossy, liquid. Finally, using platinum leaf, meticulously apply the emblem of the manufacturer of this exquisite thing. Am I describing the creation of something destined for the display cabinets of the Imperial House of Japan? Maybe if the Emperor of Japan is a headphone audio enthusiast. No, what I'm describing is how the traditional, painstaking art of Japanese urushi lacquer is used in the adornment of an earcup of a flagship headphone.

When Fostex decided to craft a flagship high-end dynamic headphone, they wanted it to be impeccable in every way, offering high-end sound quality (of course), and to do so with extraordinary beauty and comfort. Their TH900 headphone was the result, and it is indeed a stunner. Not surprisingly, it wasn't long before the high-end connoisseurs of Head-Fi were abuzz about it, and deservedly so.   The TH900 is one of the easiest headphones to fall in love with. Of course, there's that love-at-first-sight thing. From a purely aesthetic standpoint, the TH900 is, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful headphones ever created. I've not seen a photo yet that fully conveys the deep beauty of the TH900's urushi-lacquered earcups (nor have I been able to capture it with my own photos, but not for lack of trying).

Then there's the love-at-first-wear thing. The TH900 is extremely comfortable--there are few headphones I'd be willing to wear for longer durations than I do the TH900. A closed headphone, the TH900's earpads are made of an advanced synthetic leather derived from eggshell membrane. The result is a material that has the suppleness of the very soft leather.

Fostex wouldn't do all of this without first having sonic performance worthy of it. And in this, its sound, the TH900 is just as accomplished as it is with its style and comfort. Very revealing, rich bass, relatively neutral elsewhere, never fatiguing. The TH900 sounds velvety and organic, without ever sounding overly smoothed. I have headphones that are more technically capable in one aspect or another, some that are more neutral, and some that are ultimately more revealing, but few headphones can convey as much as the TH900 does without tiring me at all. It is an eminently easy, yet involving, headphone to listen to.

After having spent over a year with the Fostex TH900 now, it has become perhaps my favorite headphone overall, plying its brilliance not with just one or two rigs precisely crafted for it, but in so many good systems you plug it into. In every way, the Fostex TH900 is simply beautiful, and a wonderfully executed flagship by Fostex."I'm quite glad I have the TH900 on rotation in my ever-evolving collection of audio gear. In the month or so I've spent getting to know it, the bordeaux beauty has grown on me to such an extent that I can confidently say it's one of my all-time favorite dynamic headphones. I feel it's a subtle but exciting masterpiece, really."

-MuppetFace

Head-Fi Member/Reviewer"

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

They are pretty light and they are excellent. I think the reason that they are so underrated is because of the fact that they are a mod of a relatively cheap headphone, and people would rather have brand new stand alone drivers, etc. I would love a pair of mad dogs or alpha dogs...

@OP, the Denon AH-D7000 are a very good pair of headphones. They have some really, really nice sub-bass, and I am very impressed with them. They are technically closed back, but they are not sealed, so you still get a nice, wide sound stage, but you also get the sub bass of a closed headphone. (although you get none of the isolation :P)

They can sometimes be had for between 6 and 7 hundred dollars, at which point they are absolutely worth the money. (I got mine for $700)

Another thing you might want to look into are the Fostex TH-900, which are basically a better (newer) version of the AH-D7000. I know head-fi isn't exactly kosher all the time around here, but according to Jude over there, the TH-900 are his favorite day to day headphones for all kinds of listening. 

"Written by Jude Mansilla

Take many different types of sulfur-smoked silver foil pieces, and adhere them--in a manner similar to a torn-paper collage--to a black lacquered base over a precisely shaped Japanese cherry birch wood form. Finish it with an overcoat of rich Bordeaux-wine-colored paint, until the finish looks deep, glossy, liquid. Finally, using platinum leaf, meticulously apply the emblem of the manufacturer of this exquisite thing. Am I describing the creation of something destined for the display cabinets of the Imperial House of Japan? Maybe if the Emperor of Japan is a headphone audio enthusiast. No, what I'm describing is how the traditional, painstaking art of Japanese urushi lacquer is used in the adornment of an earcup of a flagship headphone.

When Fostex decided to craft a flagship high-end dynamic headphone, they wanted it to be impeccable in every way, offering high-end sound quality (of course), and to do so with extraordinary beauty and comfort. Their TH900 headphone was the result, and it is indeed a stunner. Not surprisingly, it wasn't long before the high-end connoisseurs of Head-Fi were abuzz about it, and deservedly so.   The TH900 is one of the easiest headphones to fall in love with. Of course, there's that love-at-first-sight thing. From a purely aesthetic standpoint, the TH900 is, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful headphones ever created. I've not seen a photo yet that fully conveys the deep beauty of the TH900's urushi-lacquered earcups (nor have I been able to capture it with my own photos, but not for lack of trying).

Then there's the love-at-first-wear thing. The TH900 is extremely comfortable--there are few headphones I'd be willing to wear for longer durations than I do the TH900. A closed headphone, the TH900's earpads are made of an advanced synthetic leather derived from eggshell membrane. The result is a material that has the suppleness of the very soft leather.

Fostex wouldn't do all of this without first having sonic performance worthy of it. And in this, its sound, the TH900 is just as accomplished as it is with its style and comfort. Very revealing, rich bass, relatively neutral elsewhere, never fatiguing. The TH900 sounds velvety and organic, without ever sounding overly smoothed. I have headphones that are more technically capable in one aspect or another, some that are more neutral, and some that are ultimately more revealing, but few headphones can convey as much as the TH900 does without tiring me at all. It is an eminently easy, yet involving, headphone to listen to.

After having spent over a year with the Fostex TH900 now, it has become perhaps my favorite headphone overall, plying its brilliance not with just one or two rigs precisely crafted for it, but in so many good systems you plug it into. In every way, the Fostex TH900 is simply beautiful, and a wonderfully executed flagship by Fostex."I'm quite glad I have the TH900 on rotation in my ever-evolving collection of audio gear. In the month or so I've spent getting to know it, the bordeaux beauty has grown on me to such an extent that I can confidently say it's one of my all-time favorite dynamic headphones. I feel it's a subtle but exciting masterpiece, really."

-MuppetFace

Head-Fi Member/Reviewer"

You know who Jude is on Headfi, right...?

One of the reasons why the Mad Dogs are not highly regarded is because the price tag is too small. Mr. Speakers fixed that with the Alpha Dogs and the Ether. Well, the Mad Dogs also don't look that great aesthetically.

You know who Jude is on Headfi, right...?

I do, and I know all of the ridiculousness that comes from that. My main point is that, among the extremely high end (where OP is looking), someone who has (arguably) the greatest access to extremely high end headphones in the world (including pre production products, etc.) has said that the Fostex are his favorite headphones. 

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

I do, and I know all of the ridiculousness that comes from that. My main point is that, among the extremely high end (where OP is looking), someone who has (arguably) the greatest access to extremely high end headphones in the world (including pre production products, etc.) has said that the Fostex are his favorite headphones. 

Well, it's not just that. Based on the way he reviews headphones, every headphone seems like his favorite headphone. I don't ever recall hearing him talk about that pair in his Youtube videos. Just a lot about the usual stuff like LCD-3, Stax, etc. It's almost like he treats them like they are his children: They're all his favorites.

Well, it's not just that. Based on the way he reviews headphones, every headphone seems like his favorite headphone. I don't ever recall hearing him talk about that pair in his Youtube videos. Just a lot about the usual stuff like LCD-3, Stax, etc. It's almost like he treats them like they are his children: They're all his favorites.

He is rather positive about most headphones. However, I've found that if you look at his posts on the forum more, you would find that he is not *always* as positive...

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I wanted to buy the Alpha Dogs. But knowing how shady my country is when it comes to imports, the need for proper documents (you mean to tell me I need the proper papers of running a shop that sells what I'm ordering from another country so my chances of becoming a victim of 200% handling tax fee would be reduced to maybe 1-2% from 1-50%? Fuck you, government), and the potential of it becoming more expensive than the Audeze LCD-XC... the LCD-XC seems like a no-brainer and my go-to choice. (Did I mention that the government didn't write that down? Yeah, our department on customs/imports is kinda fucked up. Which is why some of the really nice Audio and even PC components are essentially grey-market stuff.)

I wanted to buy the Alpha Dogs. But knowing how shady my country is when it comes to imports, the need for proper documents (you mean to tell me I need the proper papers of running a shop that sells what I'm ordering from another country so my chances of becoming a victim of 200% handling tax fee would be reduced to maybe 1-2% from 1-50%? Fuck you, government), and the potential of it becoming more expensive than the Audeze LCD-XC... the LCD-XC seems like a no-brainer and my go-to choice. (Did I mention that the government didn't write that down? Yeah, our department on customs/imports is kinda fucked up. Which is why some of the really nice Audio and even PC components are essentially grey-market stuff.)

What country?

What country?

Philippines... yeah, we got a corrupt government.

But yeah, if you were at the post office (pretending you live here, not in the US) because the people from customs want you to pay a 200% handling tax fee for your Alpha Dogs, would you pay for it? If you do, will your wallet forgive you?

Also i live in Australia so our offering is pretty terrible, i haven't seen a store that lets you demo HD800s (not that i know many good stores.., common trend of me not knowing much)

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but YouTuber LachlanLikesAThing goes to Minidisc's showroom often. http://www.minidisc.com.au/

Always better to try before you buy.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but YouTuber LachlanLikesAThing goes to Minidisc's showroom often. http://www.minidisc.com.au/

Always better to try before you buy.

I wish we (here in my country to say the least) have stores that actually put their premium products on display for audition. In here, the only ones that ever get to be tried are the ones that cost under $500.