HD800s - worth budgeting for?

NumeroSieben

I wish we (here in my country to say the least) have stores that actually put their premium products on display for audition. In here, the only ones that ever get to be tried are the ones that cost under $500.

Its good somewhat good as it will stop you from purchasing another more than $500 ;)

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but YouTuber LachlanLikesAThing goes to Minidisc's showroom often. http://www.minidisc.com.au/

Always better to try before you buy.

Tbh for me, I haven't even been to those stores to try before I buy. I tend to actually read alot of reviews and purchase second hand (fellow head-fi seller).

That's just me, I tend to rarely buy another brand new from store and purchase 2nd hand as it saves alot more money but has its risks. 

Personally I do watch LachlanlikesAThing and envy what he does great youtuber but sometimes posts some irrelevant things which I disagree with (eg: music recommendation).

Its good somewhat good as it will stop you from purchasing another more than $500 ;)

Not exactly. I mean, I may have a rather massive spending habit, but (aside from PC components to say the least) I like purchasing things that costs a premium (that I've tried) and have full confidence that I'll use it for years. When I was 16, I bought a chair thats worth $600 (there were others that costs MUCH more). A decade later, its still the same as the day I bought it. I don't like paying for cheap, knowing that one of these days the following may happen:

1.) Sell it because of discontent

2.) Break on me due to manufacturing incompetence, poor QC, or both. Which in any and every way just hinders the experience anyways.

3.) Have another need of buying another due to discontent, whether I sell the previous one or not.

4.) End up filling up a room full of stuff that I thought I liked and insist to like, when something that costs double, triple, or quadruple the price of the item that I want that arguably has minimal benefits and depreciating returns hit hard, but hits all the boxes that I could've asked for.

I'm not saying I should have the most expensive stuff in the world, no. I just like investing in things that lessens my spending in the future. I mean, I could keep buying and buying headphones every six months, and maybe in half a decade I may most likely spend more than buying that ONE headphone I like so much, which would most likely lessen my time on buying, selling, stashing/putting on display, by 10 fold. I'm also not saying that high price = longevity since it doesn't apply to all. I'm just saying that I'd rather buy something I sincerely want, BUT I must try them before unloading my wallet.

And yes, I'm taking your reply seriously.

My Grading System on headphones: SS= 98-100, S= 95-97, A+= 91-94, A= 86-90, A-= 81-85, B+= 76-80, B= 71-75, B-= 66-70, C+= 61-65, C= 56-60, C-= 51-55, D+= 46-50, D= 41-45, D-= 36-40, F+= 31-35, F= 26-30, F-= 21-25, Tier 1 crap= 16-20, Tier 2 crap= 11-15, Tier 3 crap= 6-10, Dahell tier= 1-5, No hope= 0                 Nevertheless, "Enjoy what you enjoy without starting some silly culture war" - Lachlanlikesathing. If you Recommend the M50/X in a thead, I would probably send you a dick pic.

Might as well just save up for the Orpheus and call it a night.

Might as well just save up for the Orpheus and call it a night.

How the hell does that make any sense? The orpheus costs well over 15 times the cost of an HD800, since you actually need the energizer with the headphones. Not to mention, it's a pain in the ass to find any for sale, and you'd have to wait ages.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Just spent time auditioning HD800. If you have the money, they are nothing short of amazing. BUT, you could get a headphone that will sound 80-90% of HD800 with 1/3rd of the price

Just spent auditioning HD800. If you have the money, they are nothing short of amazing. BUT, you could get a headphone that will sound 80-90% of HD800 with 1/3rd of the price

i'm definitely going to audition as many of the high end headphones that have been recommended as possible. Thanks to a few helpful people i know about the minidisc place now and i'll head there when i have time later this week. Glad to hear you thought they sounded amazing, i'm looking forward to trying them and the other high end headphones

How the hell does that make any sense? The orpheus costs well over 15 times the cost of an HD800, since you actually need the energizer with the headphones. Not to mention, it's a pain in the ass to find any for sale, and you'd have to wait ages.

Yea it was sort of a joke. :D

i'm definitely going to audition as many of the high end headphones that have been recommended as possible. Thanks to a few helpful people i know about the minidisc place now and i'll head there when i have time later this week. Glad to hear you thought they sounded amazing, i'm looking forward to trying them and the other high end headphones

HD800, HE-560, LCD-X/2 and mr.speakers ether some of the best options around your budget. HD800 isn't for everyone. I think mr.speakers ether will come across as a more likeable headphone for most people

HD800, HE-560, LCD-X/2 and mr.speakers ether some of the best options around your budget. HD800 isn't for everyone. I think mr.speakers ether will come across as a more likeable headphone for most people

thanks for the recommendations, so far i have those you listed and the T1 and a few others i'd really like to try if they are available.