Sharkoon Rush Fan Noise

Hey there,

My powersupply, a sharkoon rush power 600W recently started acting up a bit, meaning the fans'S getting loud as hell. I know it is summer and the ambient temperatrure is high, but I am not concerned about load. I recently swapped my GPU from a 6870 to a 970 and the i5 2500 should draw about 60 - 80 Watts max, so I guess the thing should be way within its comfort zone. However, once I fired up something more demanding, let's say a round of competitive Global Offensive, it spools up and stays that way, even when the rest of the system is cooled down again.

It's mounted in the bottom, draws air from the bottom, the pc stands under my desk on a wooeden floor and since the desk is not pushed to the back of the wall there is a gap and hot air can rise, so it should be able to draw reasonably cold air in.

So - is this just a faulty fan controller and I just never noticed it in the summertimes? Or is it a broken fan controller?^^ Is there anything one can do about power supply noise despite getting a quieter one? Like swapping fans?^^

Best regards

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

Hey there,

My powersupply, a sharkoon rush power 600W recently started acting up a bit, meaning the fans'S getting loud as hell. I know it is summer and the ambient temperatrure is high, but I am not concerned about load. I recently swapped my GPU from a 6870 to a 970 and the i5 2500 should draw about 60 - 80 Watts max, so I guess the thing should be way within its comfort zone. However, once I fired up something more demanding, let's say a round of competitive Global Offensive, it spools up and stays that way, even when the rest of the system is cooled down again.

It's mounted in the bottom, draws air from the bottom, the pc stands under my desk on a wooeden floor and since the desk is not pushed to the back of the wall there is a gap and hot air can rise, so it should be able to draw reasonably cold air in.

So - is this just a faulty fan controller and I just never noticed it in the summertimes? Or is it a broken fan controller?^^ Is there anything one can do about power supply noise despite getting a quieter one? Like swapping fans?^^

Best regards

Nah, with a shady ps like that, you can never be sure

500 Posts achieved 29/4/16 9:13PM

i7 980x Power! BeamnDrivionothbesgameComicSans

“I was the rebellious one.” - Maxene Andrews

Damn that's a nice hair flick 1981 Simon LeBon!

"Nothing gets you going like a juicy pussy!" - ashens

"what sorry blender isn't that what you make smoothe?" - pathole

"Yeah, well i'm a member of the waffen ss who lives with hitler in the bunker And i like modern music!" - Hans krebs loves fish

"We won world war 2 for a reason" - ironic shitposting is still shitposting

"Fight shooting game with pretty girls" - megami strike 1943

"You've got wood in an evo" - moog

"oxygofishafacematerialsotosis" - linus

"Vehicle stimulator" - crappy russian mod site

"The power table" - Nerdcubed

"Nuclear spaghetti" - ashens

FRANKIE SAYS RELAX!!!!

It's not worth modifying the power supply yourself to get rid of noise. It's best to replace the entire power supply, because IT WILL fail in the (near) future.

If you were to replace the fan, you need to be really careful. Power supplies still carry voltage for some time after being unplugged (days up to even months). Touching the insides of power supplies may even kill you! Power supplies are meant to be replaced when a part of them starts failing, not to be repaired, because they are designed for redundancy.

Taking a look at this, will tell us that it was made by Enhance. They are an acceptable OEM for low load systems, but may not be good enough for the wattage you are pulling. At max load it can only handle 500W, which may be near the top of what your PC needs under load.

Check out the Seasonic S12II-Bronze or M12II Evo. They can actually handle the advertized wattage, are built by a reputable OEM (SeaSonic themselves), should run cooler and quieter and have 5 year warranty.

Laptop: Intel Core i5-4200H, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, GeForce 840M

Desktop: Intel Core i3-6100, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, GeForce GTX 750 Ti

Nah, with a shady ps like that, you can never be sure

Never thought of it as shady. Just, well.. old^^ I kinda like most of the gear sharkoon makes, never thought of them being just cheap.

It's not worth modifying the power supply yourself to get rid of noise. It's best to replace the entire power supply, because IT WILL fail in the (near) future.

If you were to replace the fan, you need to be really careful. Power supplies still carry voltage for some time after being unplugged (days up to even months). Touching the insides of power supplies may even kill you! Power supplies are meant to be replaced when a part of them starts failing, not to be repaired, because they are designed for redundancy.

Taking a look at this, will tell us that it was made by Enhance. They are an acceptable OEM for low load systems, but may not be good enough for the wattage you are pulling. At max load it can only handle 500W, which may be near the top of what your PC needs under load.

Check out the Seasonic S12II-Bronze or M12II Evo. They can actually handle the advertized wattage, are built by a reputable OEM (SeaSonic themselves), should run cooler and quieter and have 5 year warranty.

Okay, thanks, I'll have a look into it. That'd be exactly what I am concerned about, the PSU failing and frying parts of the rest of the system.

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

Sorry, for DP, but I guess an edit won't trigger notifications and I'd like to not open a new topic...

Since I have barely any knowledge about power supplies anymore TBH, I just had a look into it. Various random calculators tol me ~ 450W for my system config. Criteria'd be silent, (semi)modular, efficient (Gold or above) and around 100 bucks. I looked into a BeQuiet Straight Power 10 CM, 600 which 'd kind of suit my needs. Your chart tells me it is manufactured by FSP and ~110 € on amazon. Can I go wrong with that? Or is 600W way over the top? Will probably rebuild my system in 2016 and 'd like to not change again^^ 

(There is a metric ton of brands out there, can'T remember whether it was that hard when I bought my last PSU^^)

Never thought of it as shady. Just, well.. old^^ I kinda like most of the gear sharkoon makes, never thought of them being just cheap.

Okay, thanks, I'll have a look into it. That'd be exactly what I am concerned about, the PSU failing and frying parts of the rest of the system.

Wait. old stuff?

I LOVE OLD STUFF

500 Posts achieved 29/4/16 9:13PM

i7 980x Power! BeamnDrivionothbesgameComicSans

“I was the rebellious one.” - Maxene Andrews

Damn that's a nice hair flick 1981 Simon LeBon!

"Nothing gets you going like a juicy pussy!" - ashens

"what sorry blender isn't that what you make smoothe?" - pathole

"Yeah, well i'm a member of the waffen ss who lives with hitler in the bunker And i like modern music!" - Hans krebs loves fish

"We won world war 2 for a reason" - ironic shitposting is still shitposting

"Fight shooting game with pretty girls" - megami strike 1943

"You've got wood in an evo" - moog

"oxygofishafacematerialsotosis" - linus

"Vehicle stimulator" - crappy russian mod site

"The power table" - Nerdcubed

"Nuclear spaghetti" - ashens

FRANKIE SAYS RELAX!!!!