I was in the middle of a dungeon on ffxiv, I usually get around 130fps on max while playing it but it runs kind of hot. the pc randomly shut off and when I turned it back on I saw a spark from on top of the msi 780.

post-167599-0-03388500-1435984604_thumb.

It looks like a capacitor blew.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I was in the middle of a dungeon on ffxiv, I usually get around 130fps on max while playing it but it runs kind of hot. the pc randomly shut off and when I turned it back on I saw a spark from on top of the msi 780.

Hmm that's unfortunate if you can find out what ceramic capacitor that is and the rating on it you could try replacing it, hopefully that was the only thing.

I think your problem is that C527 is vaporized and C526 is more burnt than not. If you have a lot of practice soldering and can find the right components to replace them you may be able to attempt a repair, otherwise check to see if you are still under warranty coverage and attempt to get a replacement.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

If you have warranty on it, use it, if not, try replacing the faulty parts.

i7 6700k - 32GB DDR4-2133 - GTX 980

The PC still runs and it seems to play games fine. Did it really effect anything. I don't know to much about this.

The PC still runs and it seems to play games fine. Did it really effect anything. I don't know to much about this.

Something broke. You need to take a close look and see and smell the card and around the card. If you see anything out of the ordinary then you will have to replace it.

If you can't find anything you should do a stress test to verify system stability and that your gpu will not artifact.

Something broke. You need to take a close look and see and smell the card and around the card. If you see anything out of the ordinary then you will have to replace it.

If you can't find anything you should do a stress test to verify system stability and that your gpu will not artifact.

I just contacted MSI about it, do you think I'll still be able to play gta or ffxiv on it while I wait for a response?

I just contacted MSI about it, do you think I'll still be able to play gta or ffxiv on it while I wait for a response?

No it wonr turn back on most likely and do not run it even if it does

No it wonr turn back on most likely and do not run it even if it does

It does turn back on, and it seems to run the single player on gta v fine right now