Keep my i7 4790k or Upgrade to 5860x

Im having trouble deciding what to do, I would like to start a custom loop in my system and I would like not to have to touch is for 2 years if possible. 

My friend works at intel and can get me the 5860x for around £300 

So I was thinking before I start should I go to X99 and then watercool it all. 

Or keep my current system:

i7 4790k

ASUS ROG Ranger Vii

2x 8gb DDR 2333Mhz Corsair dominator plats.

Any for or against reasons welcomed. 

I love my 5960X, but it is reserved for bragging rights. However, DDR4 and etc. is expensive.

CPU: Intel Core i7 5960X @4GHz cooled by a Corsair H110i GT | MBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB 2400MHz) | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 | SSD: Samsung SM951 M.2 SSD | HDD: 1TB Western Digital Black Drive | PSU: Corsair HX750i | Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D 

If you have the money, take the i7 5960x :)

i7 6700k - 32GB DDR4-2133 - GTX 980

5960x*

And if you can get it for cheap, go for it. Won't improve gaming performance one bit though. 

It's amazing for solidworks*

CPU: Intel Core i7 5960X @4GHz cooled by a Corsair H110i GT | MBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB 2400MHz) | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 | SSD: Samsung SM951 M.2 SSD | HDD: 1TB Western Digital Black Drive | PSU: Corsair HX750i | Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D 

If you have the cash and will use the extra threads.. then go for it but the 4790k is a very capable chip too.. in games it'll be minimal - no difference unless your a very heavy multi-tasker.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

That's why I said "gaming performance" ^^

But...ok :(

5960X is awesome, but for gaming performance, i7-4790K even i5 can compete with it.

But for video editing, multi-tasking and such.... It's a lot better.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Im having trouble deciding what to do, I would like to start a custom loop in my system and I would like not to have to touch is for 2 years if possible. 

i7 4790k

ASUS ROG Ranger Vii

sometimes I cry in the corner when someone contemplates upgrading from an expensive CPU to an even MORE expensive CPU 

sniff*

Helpful optimist by day, Troll by night

Every second video I unsub from Linus cos he tells me to hit the subscribe button on each video!!!

i7 4790k

ASUS ROG Ranger Vii

You won't be able to utilize those extra cores in games.  The 4790k tends to be better due to being able to overclock higher.  Once dx12 comes along you can probably utilize the cores, but seeing as the 4790k doesn't bottleneck anyway I don't see a point.

For $300?  Yes.  Snatch that thing up.  DDR4 prices are effectively near the same as DDR3 now, and you can get a low-priced, but solid mobo from ASrock.  Won't perform better in games, may perform worse, but it'd be amazing for multitasking.  Just absolutely stunning for it.

Depends on what you plan to use it with. Like everyone stated here, you will have no benefit in gaming performance as games don't even use all the cores in the 5960X. If you are editing or something and you are doing content creation, then I'd say go for it, it's only $300. (Or buy it and then sell it ;))

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • ASUS TUF GAMING B550M Plus
  • Ryzen 5 5600X undervolted
  • Gigabyte VISION OC RTX 3070 undervolted
  • 32GB Teamgroup Dark Alpha 3600 MHz CL18
  • Corsair TX750M
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Mini

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • Logitech Extreme 3D Pro & Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle
  • Logitech G27 with pedals and H-shifter
  • TrackIR 4

i7 4790k

ASUS ROG Ranger Vii

£300!?

HOLY SHIT, GET IT.

The extra PCIe lanes will be useful for 3 or 4-way SLI.

The only issue with getting an X99 chip is the hardware you have to get in conjunction with it, because it's kind of expensive, but I'd say it's worth it.

It won't improve performance in gaming, though, so I hope you find uses for it other than games. It'll be useful for rendering and the like.

Before you do anything, make sure you have a case that can accomodate a custom loop. A full tower is preferable, but it can be done in smaller form factors. Also, you could repurpose your LGA1150 platform and DDR3 RAM into a second rig for a friend, family, or you could sell it.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

Thanks for all the replies, Yea im a gamer but I also do alot of website design and use the adobe suite alot so I think Ill go for it. Now as its going to be my first time water cooling with a custom loop. I think ill do a build log :D