i3 with 8GB of ram or i5 with 4Gb of ram

Go to solution Solved by SkilledRebuilds,

i dont really like amd. id rather intel 

Some people just wanna watch the world burn.

:)

It's pretty straight forward though...

i5 + 4GB + 4GB = Winning

i3 + 8gb + i5 = Losing

i have 2 parts list set aside. i can either get a core i3-4170 with 8GB of ram or i can get a i5-4460 with 4Gb of ram. which should i go with. the computer will be for games like minecraft, league of legends and battlefield. i already record minecraft and i would like to start live streaming to twitch. i have a gtx 750ti, 400 watt powersupply, and a rosewill redbone case. which one would be better.

i have 2 parts list set aside. i can either get a core i3-4170 with 8GB of ram or i can get a i5-4460 with 4Gb of ram. which should i go with. the computer will be for games like minecraft, league of legends and battlefield. i already record minecraft and i would like to start live streaming to twitch. i have a gtx 750ti, 400 watt powersupply, and a rosewill redbone case. which one would be better.

A no brainer...

Ram costs less..

Get the i5, add more ram later for $50-100

Opposed to buying the i3, and having to spend another couple of hundred later on for the i5 and having a spare i3 you have to sell.

Get an AMD FX 6300 or an APU instead with 8gbs of RAM

If your not trolling, you need to be educated. - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/page-5#entry3621417

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

A no brainer...

Ram costs less..

Opposed to buying the i3, and having to spend another couple of hundred later on and having a spare i3 you have to sell.

ok

Ram costs less..

Opposed to buying the i3, and having to spend another couple of hundred later on for the i5 and having a spare i3 you have to sell.

Get the i5 first, you get your 4GB of RAM, later add another 4GB. Tadaa....

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

That would just lock him down, There are no upgrade path that makes sense for the FX 6300.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

i5 + 4GB + 4GB = Winning

i3 + 8gb + i5 = Losing

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

i5 + 4GB + 4GB = Winning

i3 + 8gb + i5 = Losing

ok ill do that then

Save some more and get the i5 and 8gb or get the i5 and 4gb now and add another 4gb shortly

That would just lock him down, There are no upgrade path that makes sense for the FX 6300.

Why would you upgrade the FX 6300 when that is more than what it currently required, anyway he could upgrade to a 8 core FX if that is required anyway.

Why would you upgrade the FX 6300 when that is more than what it currently required, anyway he could upgrade to a 8 core FX if that is required anyway.

He wants Intel, he stated this...

Plus the FX8 performs MUCH like the FX6 and FX4 in many games, you could say its not an upgrade at all for a Gaming rig, but is more suited as a rendering upgrade.

I am suggesting amd because they tend to have a better price to performance than intel.

You shouldn't chose a CPU (or GPU) just by the brand.

I am suggesting amd because they tend to have a better price to performance than intel.

You shouldn't chose a CPU (or GPU) just by the brand.

You need a bit more of on education on FX (Regardless of owning one)

We are not choosing Intel because of Brand.... but because it PERFORMS

When the OP upgrades his GPU in the future, he won't need to change his CPU, at all..., he would if he used an FX CPU.

FX - Price to performance their FUCKED for Gaming rigs... check that link.

Price>Performance only applies on FX to rendering rigs.

A MUST READ

The architecture behind the FX CPUs cannot keep up with high end graphics cards that require strong cores to consistently feed the card.  Monitor your GPU load in your games and you will quickly see that your GPU is not running at 90%+ if you own a high end graphics card paired with an FX processor.  Use an FX with a mid range GPU all you want, that is fine and you won't limit the card's potential and makes for a much more balanced rig. If you get into the upper echelon of GPUs, that is when you are holding your card back by the FX.  This also doesn't bode well for the future because as GPUs get more powerful, the FX will simply not be able to keep up with even mid-range GPUs.  As of now, the highest end GPU I would pair with an FX that won't limit its potential is an R9 280/GTX770.

There are very few games that are very well multithreaded, and even in those games, such as CoD:AW, an i3 is still beating out an FX9.  The reason behind this is because games typically have one main thread, Core #0.  When this main thread is being choked by poor single core performance, the rest of the threads struggle.  So even in these really well multithreaded PC port games, we are still seeing Intel processors beating out FXs because their poor IPC simply can't give as good as results on that main thread.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/page-5#entry3621417

Facts are facts, ignorance is ignorance, I'll leave it with you to decide what you wanna believe.

He wants Intel, he stated this...

Plus the FX8 performs MUCH like the FX6 and FX4 in many games, you could say its not an upgrade at all for a Gaming rig, but is more suited as a rendering upgrade.

I DON'T WANT an AMD intel Fight, but i like AMD because they are affordable but I am not saying that if i had $5000 on a computer i would get AMD, that would be stupid. 

Also the FX 6300 is future proof so you don't need a new PC in 6 years because every new computer has at least 6 cores. 

id rather a intel over amd because i have a core 2 duo t7250 2.00GHz and a athlon 64 x2 4400+ 2.31GHz and my intel way out performs the amd. i couldnt play games on the athlon but on the intel i could play the games amd couldnt and it rand at 30fps

I DON'T WANT an AMD intel Fight, but i like AMD because they are affordable but I am not saying that if i had $5000 on a computer i would get AMD, that would be stupid. 

Also the FX 6300 is future proof so you don't need a new PC in 6 years because every new computer has at least 6 cores. 

Who's fighting... I'm providing facts.

You can do what you want with your PC,... Im wondering why your even still here in this thread with AMD posts...just cos you like them.. means nothing to the OP who wants an Intel rig.

Snip

You've pretty much made your decision right?, no need for further discussion on which CPU I guess...

Unless you want more specific build info.

Who's fighting... I'm providing facts.

You can do what you want with your PC,... Im wondering why your even still here in this thread with AMD posts...just cos you like them.. means nothing to the OP who wants an Intel rig.

You've pretty much made your decision right?, no need for further discussion on which CPU I guess...

Unless you want more specific build info.

yes i have made my decision 

yes i have made my decision 

Feel free to ask questions in a NEW thread, because if you add on to this one, people will think they have to answer the OP as well, leading to confusion and more back n forth.

Happy your happy.

Enjoy the new beast! i5 + 4GB of ram may be slightly stuttery in some games, but the ones that dont, full performance,..and windows is gunna be fast as fuck on either CPU, but the more you use it, and varied programs, you'll see the i5's value. i3 would stutter too in some games, where the i5 with 8gb of ram wont at all.

Best decision made.

Feel free to ask questions in a NEW thread, because if you add on to this one, people will think they have to answer the OP as well, leading to confusion and more back n forth.

Happy your happy.

Enjoy the new beast! i5 + 4GB of ram may be slightly stuttery in some games, but the ones that dont, full performance,..and windows is gunna be fast as fuck on either CPU, but the more you use it, and varied programs, you'll see the i5's value. i3 would stutter too in some games, where the i5 with 8gb of ram wont at all.

Best decision made.

i dont really mind stutter i have grown up on computers i bought on ebay for $150 but this will be better than what i have so i wont really mind the stutter

i dont really mind stutter i have grown up on computers i bought on ebay for $150 but this will be better than what i have so i wont really mind the stutter

Plus its only temporary :)