Which Windows XP do I need for reinstall on corrupted hdd?

Go to solution Solved by Speedbird,

That'd be great! Thanks. I would prefer whatever Microsoft could offer me with the certificate (if that's what you are saying), but I am not opposed to third party. Would just rather redeem what my dad had already paid for, if that's possible. I guess I don't know what that process would be though. I haven't tried requisitioning a reinstall disc for a failing system before

Microsoft will not give you anything for an OEM licence, especially XP. 3rd party downloads verified with SHA1 hashes provided by Microsoft are the best you can get.

I am trying to reinstall Windows XP on my dad's laptop. It looks like his hard drive with the OS (Windows XP) is corrupt and won't boot. Someone told me that I cannot purchase a ~$70 update edition on Amazon to reinstall the OS? Would I need to buy the full version or something, which I guess is more expensive?

Thanks!

EDIT: He can't find his original OS disc

ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE       Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4             TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB NVME SSD

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X                   Antec DF700 Case                                 MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC

I am trying to reinstall Windows XP on my dad's laptop. It looks like his hard drive with the OS (Windows XP) is corrupt and won't boot. Someone told me that I cannot purchase a ~$70 update edition on Amazon to reinstall the OS? Would I need to buy the full version or something, which I guess is more expensive?

Thanks!

If the hard drive is corrupt, you need to replace that. Or, it could just be a file system issue which would be fixed by formatting the drive. And if you already have a licence for it, you do not have to buy it again.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

If the hard drive is corrupt, you need to replace that. Or, it could just be a file system issue which would be fixed by formatting the drive. And if you already have a licence for it, you do not have to buy it again.

Yeah, when I say corrupt I actually think it might be a driver issue. When he tries to boot from the HDD, it gets a bunch of data on the screen that seems to point to drivers on partitions that won't boot/load (This is the most I could get out of it).  I didn't think about the license number or whatnot...I guess that could be on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop or something? I don't have the laptop with me right now...

ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE       Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4             TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB NVME SSD

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X                   Antec DF700 Case                                 MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC

Yeah, when I say corrupt I actually think it might be a driver issue. When he tries to boot from the HDD, it gets a bunch of data on the screen that seems to point to drivers on partitions that won't boot/load (This is the most I could get out of it).  I didn't think about the license number or whatnot...I guess that could be on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop or something? I don't have the laptop with me right now...

There probably is a certificate of authenticity under the laptop if it shipped with XP. You could download an ISO image of XP and burn it to a CD. However, I need to know the licence type first. XP CDs for different channels (OEM, retail and VL) have different files, and once installed it is not easy to change the channel.

There probably is a certificate of authenticity under the laptop if it shipped with XP. You could download an ISO image of XP and burn it to a CD. However, I need to know the licence type first. XP CDs for different channels (OEM, retail and VL) have different files, and once installed it is not easy to change the channel.

Ah, ok. I think I will look for the certificate first. I am assuming when I show Microsoft the certificate they provide me an ISO? I don't have a burner or any burner software installed at the moment however

Ah, ok. I think I will look for the certificate first. I am assuming when I show Microsoft the certificate they provide me an ISO? I don't have a burner or any burner software installed at the moment however

You will download the ISO from a 3rd party source. There is a forum with a ton of links for ISOs, but you have to register to view any post with links. You may browse it though and see if you find anything. http://forums.mydigitallife.info/forum.php?referrerid=481716

Or, I can PM you a download link.

You will download the ISO from a 3rd party source. There is a forum with a ton of links for ISOs, but you have to register to view any post with links. You may browse it though and see if you find anything. http://forums.mydigitallife.info/forum.php?referrerid=481716

Or, I can PM you a download link.

That'd be great! Thanks. I would prefer whatever Microsoft could offer me with the certificate (if that's what you are saying), but I am not opposed to third party. Would just rather redeem what my dad had already paid for, if that's possible. I guess I don't know what that process would be though. I haven't tried requisitioning a reinstall disc for a failing system before

Microsoft will not give you anything for an OEM licence, especially XP. 3rd party downloads verified with SHA1 hashes provided by Microsoft are the best you can get.

Okey doke. I'll look at that link you listed or look for a link you PM if you get around to it. Thanks!