How do I update my BIOS?

Go to solution Solved by jamesisninja,

Just a heads up I flashed BIOS fine, wasn't that scary :P

So I've got an MSI Z87-G43 Mobo, and I'm have  0 luck getting a stable overclock, and I was told to try updating my BIOS,I found the latest version of the BIOS, but I don't really understand how to do it, and it's a bit scary, don't wont to brick my BIOS or anything...

Case: NZXT H440 | CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5 GHz | GPU: MSI 970, Kraken G10 | Mobo: ASRock Z97 Extreme3 | Cooler: H100i | PSU: Corsair AX750 w/ Sleeved Cables | Display: 3xBenQ RL2455M | Fans: 5xNoctua NF-F12, 1xBitFenix Spectre |

This guide should help you update your bios: http://www.msi.com/service/biosupdate/"]http://www.msi.com/service/biosupdate/

Use this to create a bootable USB DOS environment: http://www.howtogeek.com/136987/how-to-create-a-bootable-dos-usb-drive/"]http://www.howtogeek.com/136987/how-to-create-a-bootable-dos-usb-drive/

Not responsible if you break your mobo. If the motherboard does not post after the update, I usually do a CMOS reset as that usually fixes it.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

It's always a little bit diffrent  from manufacture to manufacture. What is most likely you do is: you load the bios files on to a USB flashdrive and then updates it from within the bios. 

I refer to MSi's own guide:http://www.msi.com/service/biosupdate/

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

This guide should help you update your bios: http://www.msi.com/service/biosupdate/

I read that, but I'm still a little bit confused I guess I want to do the 2nd way, with an M-Flash so I just put the files unziped on my USB, then go to M-Flash in my bios, and it should see the bios file, and I just hit enter?

Case: NZXT H440 | CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5 GHz | GPU: MSI 970, Kraken G10 | Mobo: ASRock Z97 Extreme3 | Cooler: H100i | PSU: Corsair AX750 w/ Sleeved Cables | Display: 3xBenQ RL2455M | Fans: 5xNoctua NF-F12, 1xBitFenix Spectre |

I read that, but I'm still a little bit confused I guess I want to do the 2nd way, with an M-Flash so I just put the files unziped on my USB, then go to M-Flash in my bios, and it should see the bios file, and I just hit enter?

Yes I flashed my new bios in my bios before and didn't have a problem with it (Asus EZ Flash). Never used M-Flash so don't know how reliable it is.

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Yes I flashed my new bios in my bios before and didn't have a problem with it (Asus EZ Flash). Never used M-Flash so don't know how reliable it is.

Well, that isn't comforting, but it isn't really concerning either. .. Do I leave the Ziped files in the folder with a weird name "7816v13" or do I just put the files on the USB without them being in a folder?

Well, that isn't comforting, but it isn't really concerning either. .. Do I leave the Ziped files in the folder with a weird name "7816v13" or do I just put the files on the USB without them being in a folder?

I would put them without the folder. I think that the exe and the txt file is not necessary since the exe is for flashing in dos and the txt is just the changelog.

I would put them without the folder. I think that the exe and the txt file is not necessary since the exe is for flashing in dos and the txt is just the changelog.

Alright... guess I'm gonna give it a go shortly..

jamesisninja, on 21 Jul 2013 - 11:33 PM, said:

Alright... guess I'm gonna give it a go shortly..

I would try to find user feedback if it is available about the bios to see if it is buggy before flashing.

I would try to find user feedback if it is available about the bios to see if it is buggy before flashing.

Haven't really found anything

Just a heads up I flashed BIOS fine, wasn't that scary :P