@The Garage, please, drive safely...

Gala

I'm gonna share a story from last night with The Garage and LTT.

A friend of mine came from Austira to his hometown and we organised a night BBQ for his welcome. As the night passed we ran out of bread, and we had to get some. The only source was a 24/7 around 10km away. Me and my friend sat in a race-prepped Renault 5 and went to get bread. The Renault had a roll-bar and semibucket seats and harnesses. Basically a weekend track car. It had a 1.4l engine with GSXR itb's on it. Fun little car.

We took a backroad since the car was not registered as it was a track car. We took a spirited way to drive. The speedo light was dead, but i assume we went 60-70. 20 above the limit, but he was experienced with circuit driving on our local track, i was not worried about crashing. And there were only mild ditches on the side of the road, so if we got off the road, we would just push it out. 

Untill we hit a bridge. He could not see how fast he was going, he did brake, but it was no avail. The little Renault landed in the river, upside down, on its roof. We did not pass out, and we were not injured. We were fine because the harnesses held us in upside down. It was a 6-point harness.

Water started filling the car, and soon the car was full of water. We grabbed our harness cutters, cut the harness, and used the hammer on the cutters to smash a window. It was an OMP harness cutter.

We swam out to the shore, and the car was basically trash. The river was not deep, maybe 50cm, but enough to flood our heads and half the interior.

We were only mildly injured, cuts from glass, only minor stuff, no broken limbs or anything.

We did not call the police, and a friend pulled us home with a tractor. We poured isopropyl alcohol on our wounds, and put some bandages.

We had luck. A lot of luck. Firstly, the car was a track car, so it had a rollbar, the roof couldn't collapse. Second, we were in water, so the fire risk was minimal, but we could have drowned if we didn't have the harness cutter, as it would be impossible to unbuckle the seatbelt in the water. God bless OMP.

Please, drive safe in inspected, registered cars, skip the showoff bullshit in shitty cars, drive safely and responsibly. Please.

Its somewhat freaky that the car was from my friends grandpa, and the day we crashed, was his death anniversary, and he died, in that Renault. Basically when he died the car was turned into a weekend track car. Freaky.

Good night LTT.

Primary: Lenovo T61 / Intel Core2Duo T7200 @ 2.2GHz / 3GB DDR2 / NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M / Fedora 22 <<<< THE WHITE KNIGHT

Secondary: Compaq Presario CQ56 / AMD V130 @ 2.3GHz / 2GB DDR3 / AMD Radeon HD 4250 / Windows 8.1 <<< THE FORGOTTEN HERO

And just last night me and a friend went from driving on-road to offroad for giggles.

And just last night me and a friend went from driving on-road to offroad for giggles.

It freaks me out that in the same night, we crashed, my friend crashed his bike, and another friend crashed his Passat. Freaks me out.

Primary: Lenovo T61 / Intel Core2Duo T7200 @ 2.2GHz / 3GB DDR2 / NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M / Fedora 22 <<<< THE WHITE KNIGHT

Secondary: Compaq Presario CQ56 / AMD V130 @ 2.3GHz / 2GB DDR3 / AMD Radeon HD 4250 / Windows 8.1 <<< THE FORGOTTEN HERO

It freaks me out that in the same night, we crashed, my friend crashed his bike, and another friend crashed his Passat. Freaks me out.

I guess last night was just unlucky.

Graduation party tonight so thanks for the reminder so I know already I'm not driving tonight.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

HOLY SHIT

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2

Graduation party tonight so thanks for the reminder so I know already I'm not driving tonight.

Well.... just because you are not driving doesn't mean you won't crash  :P

Well.... just because you are not driving doesn't mean you won't crash  :P

Yeah, its pretty much inevitable in a way :P

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

glad to hear that nobody was hurt. it is good that the car was fitted with the proper safety equipment. i must say having 2 people in a light car can change the braking and handling a lot. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Sounds like you learned the lesson of "know your roads". Never go fast over bridges, and if you wanna go fast, make sure it's a backroad you know, and make sure you've a friend waiting in a car with a radio at either end to look for cops and or other drivers (so they can radio you to slow down and watch out)

At least that's how we did it in high school. Had a friend who was an EMT/volunteer firefighter who had a police scanner in his truck.

But you are right, proper gear is super important.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

my dads buddy has a foxbody(93) that has a full rollcage. with a 200 shot of nitrious, it runs a 9.40 in the quarter. so WHOLE different beast then your track car, this is designed to go straight and very fast. 

about to do a highway pull, dropped down to 20ish, then stomped on it. all went well until 70-80ish, then the car got sideways. luckily he was able to save it, but we got VERY close to the middle divider, and was a big reminder not to be stupid. 

....fun car though.