Is the 980ti going to be worth it for me?

Zackslay3r

Hello everyone,

So most of the 980ti specs is leaked, and the only thing that isn't released is the price. Some are saying it will be 650-750US dollars. Some are saying it might be priced closer to the titan x.

However, should I even bother? I wanna get into doing 1080p 144hz gaming and idk if it will be worth it.

Thanks!

CPU:i7-4790k CPU Cooler: H100i Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97x Gaming 3 RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB(2 4 GB sticks) *UPGRADED TO 16GB(4 4GB Sticks)* GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming *UPGRADED TO Asus GTX 1070 Strix OC* PSU: Antec Edge 750w Case: Define R5 Monitor: Asus VG248QE *UPGRADED to a Acer X34 as my main monitor and my VG248QE as my secondary monitor* Keyboard: Gamidas Hermes *UPGRADED to a Corsair K70 RGB with BROWN switches* Mouse: Razer Naga Epic 2014

It all depends on: 

What games you're running

What settings (How much eye candy) you want. 

how the thing actually performs... 

Everything's still rumors, just wait for actual benchmarks to come out and do comparisons. 

Anyhow, I'm still running on a single 970, and I can get 144Hz on FPS games easily. 

Me: Computer Engineer. Geek. Nerd.

[Educational] Computer Architecture: Computer Memory Hierarchy

[Educational] Computer Architecture:  What is SSE/AVX? (SIMD)

1000 posts a day about RUMOURED specs and performance and questions about how it will perform... just wait and see!

1000 posts a day about RUMOURED specs and performance and questions about how it will perform... just wait and see!

He's trying to gauge if it's worth running 980ti @ 1080p - 144hz not really spec related :P

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.

He's trying to gauge if it's worth running 980ti @ 1080p - 144hz not really spec related :P

But you get my point. Every day its the same - "will the 390x run this, that?", "will the 980ti do this?" etc. etc.

I am currently playing Wow, TF2, Garrys Mod and other not very demanding games atm due to me playing on a 6 year old laptop. But I wanna be able to get into BF4, Skyrim, Witcher 3 and Middle Earth since this will be the first hardcore gaming computer I've ever had.

CPU:i7-4790k CPU Cooler: H100i Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97x Gaming 3 RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB(2 4 GB sticks) *UPGRADED TO 16GB(4 4GB Sticks)* GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming *UPGRADED TO Asus GTX 1070 Strix OC* PSU: Antec Edge 750w Case: Define R5 Monitor: Asus VG248QE *UPGRADED to a Acer X34 as my main monitor and my VG248QE as my secondary monitor* Keyboard: Gamidas Hermes *UPGRADED to a Corsair K70 RGB with BROWN switches* Mouse: Razer Naga Epic 2014

I am currently playing Wow, TF2, Garrys Mod and other not very demanding games atm due to me playing on a 6 year old laptop. But I wanna be able to get into BF4, Skyrim, Witcher 3 and Middle Earth since this will be the first hardcore gaming computer I've ever had.

Even a Titan X wont push 144fps on 1080p... so a 980ti definitely wont

This guy's sig says it all. 

Even a Titan X wont push 144fps on 1080p... so a 980ti definitely wont

wait what? 

I guess it depends on the settings, but most of the time it should be able to run 144fps .-.

Me: Computer Engineer. Geek. Nerd.

[Educational] Computer Architecture: Computer Memory Hierarchy

[Educational] Computer Architecture:  What is SSE/AVX? (SIMD)

I'm getting sick 980ti rumors...along with never ending 390x potentially. Can we just wait for the real official thing before discussing performance?

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

To run The Witcher 3 with everything on and get great frame rates you need all the horsepower you can get from a video card.  As for a newer AMD card helping run it better well yeah the R9 390X will but it still will be crippled I bet when certain Nvidia GameWorks features are turned on.  I think though you should wait and see how the 980 Ti and R9 390X perform as it sounds like you are willing to spend big money on this rig and it won't be too long til those cards are out.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Sure, 980ti for 1080p gaming is worth it especially for 144hz maxed out. You'll be able to upgrade to 1440p in the future without any problems. Although if you plan on upgrading your monitors to 4K in the next year or two, I would go for a 980 so that you can buy a new GPU for 4K.

blackshades on

AMD Fanboy stopping by, and since we're basing stuff off of not-yet-released cards, I would say get the R9 390x Kappa

I'm a fucking AMD kawaii weeaboo desu I have seen the light

i5 6600k EVGA 980 FTW Z170A PC Mate 1TB WD Blue240GB SSD Plus NZXT S340 | EVGA 600b  | Dedotated 8GB

But you get my point. Every day its the same - "will the 390x run this, that?", "will the 980ti do this?" etc. etc.

I agree, need a "Speculation" subform for each subform like CPU / GPU / Motherboard or something to take the heat off of Subforms.

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.