Gaming/Workstation PC for college

I decided to build a PC for next semester over buying one, so this is what ive thought of so far. (Going with a red color scheme, picking up Red LED Corsair fans as well)

Case: Corsair 900D

CPU: Intel i7-4790k Quad-Core 4.0Ghz (will over clock)

Mobo: EVGA x97 Classified EATX

Memory: 16gb kit (8x2) Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz

PSU: Corsair HX750i (formerly HX850i, thanks)

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 970

SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 250GB

HDD: WD Blue 1TB

Cooling: Corsair H100i

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QbZzdC

Mobo is overkill because the Corsair 900D supports it, and I found a EATX for sale, so I thought "why not?"

It's college. Live it up and get a 980 or a dual-card setup.

Git Gud.

mobo and PSU are a tad overkill (i have a pretty identical system, and my 750W's fan doesnt even turn on when the entire system is being tortured)

also i want to mention that that case is GINORMOUS, to the point you need two people to move it with a built system.

i personally have a similar system, for a similar workload:

i7 4790k, GTX970, 16GB ram.

i personally went for a tower cooler, because i'm not too fond of water in my computer.

i went with a Z97 sabertooth mark 2 from asus for my motherboard, because it supports 2way SLI, and looks pretty decent.

as for case, i REALLY recommend against the 900D, because even the most monstrous hardware will look tiny and unnoteworthy, and it is near impossible to move.

(insert recommendation for define R5 here)

Mobo is overkill because the Corsair 900D supports it, and I found a EATX for sale, so I thought "why not?"

You could save money by getting cheaper case and MBO without loosing performance and definitely get different PSU.

I would say get more Hard drive space for media storage.

Here is where I would keep my frolics if I had any.

I always like a nice mid tower case. NZXT h440 or Noctis 450, a little cheaper mobo then bam. You could SLI 970s or get a 980 and SLI it later on if you decide on 1440p or 4k gaming.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/f2XnhM

i swapped out some stuffs and things, and i made a 970 SLI system for the same price, that'll actually be movable in the end. (not a fan of the 900D size myself)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PqGxdC Id go for this. It's gonna have a nice clean stealthy look to it. Be very very quiet. And room to add another 980 down the road.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/f2XnhM

i swapped out some stuffs and things, and i made a 970 SLI system for the same price, that'll actually be movable in the end. (not a fan of the 900D size myself)

Main reason I went with the 900D and PSU is because I plan on upgrading in the near future, giving myself some extra wiggle room with options

Main reason I went with the 900D and PSU is because I plan on upgrading in the near future, giving myself some extra wiggle room with options

850W will probably do a tri-sli (or crossfire) of any card you can find, if you dont plan on this, dont spend that much money.

as for the 900D, you pretty much go for all the space you'll ever need, with the downside you'll need a forklift to move your computer.

(mild exaggeration, but you get the point)

850W will probably do a tri-sli (or crossfire) of any card you can find, if you dont plan on this, dont spend that much money.

as for the 900D, you pretty much go for all the space you'll ever need, with the downside you'll need a forklift to move your computer.

(mild exaggeration, but you get the point)

For the PSU, I'll down to a 750 as I don't plan on doi any more then a duo SLI any time soon

You might consider a quiet mini-ITX build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($325.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($87.49 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII IMPACT Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($214.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5"; Solid State Drive  ($350.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card  ($549.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 380T Mini ITX Tower Case  ($114.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1828.43
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-27 21:12 EDT-0400

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

You might consider a quiet mini-ITX build. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchantCPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($325.99 @ SuperBiiz)CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($87.49 @ Newegg)Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII IMPACT Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($214.99 @ SuperBiiz)Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($104.99 @ Newegg)Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5"; Solid State Drive  ($350.00 @ Amazon)Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card  ($549.99 @ Amazon)Case: Corsair 380T Mini ITX Tower Case  ($114.99 @ Micro Center)Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz)Total: $1828.43Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-27 21:12 EDT-0400

I'm building this with future expansion and upgrades in mind, so a mini won't really cut it

And you want us to fund all of this for you?

I doubt it's gonna happen buddy,

I would probably change the 4790K to a 5960X or change it later down the road just for those few extra cores (

), especially for a workstation. It performs almost 2x better than the 4790k for editing, (and about the same performance as the 4790k) although it's a bit pricy. I would also change the 970 to a 980.  Otherwise, pretty good for gaming.

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

I decided to build a PC for next semester over buying one, so this is what ive thought of so far. (Going with a red color scheme, picking up Red LED Corsair fans as well)

Case: Corsair 900D

CPU: Intel i7-4790k Quad-Core 4.0Ghz (will over clock)

Mobo: EVGA x97 Classified EATX

Memory: 16gb kit (8x2) Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz

PSU: Corsair HX750i (formerly HX850i, thanks)

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 970

SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 250GB

HDD: WD Blue 1TB

Cooling: Corsair H100i

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QbZzdC

Hey tony61595,

The plan seems good. What are you planning on running on the build besides games? 
I would also suggest that the PSU is a bit overkill as you would be fine with a 550W-600W even with two of those GPUs and OCing the CPU. 
I like the storage solution. If you need more space, I would consider WD Green or WD Black (depending on what you are storing on the HDD). :) Here are links to the drives:

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/