Is there anything I can control PWM fans besides the motherboard?

PlayModeOn

Hello,

A few months ago I bought five Noctua A14 PWM 3000RPM fans. Yes, I said 3000RPM. And currently using them with a Bitfenix Recon Fan Controller which is DC-based.

I bought them for lols and annoy my friends by putting it at highest speed, and well.....I slightly regret it (my fault).

But the fans itself is really good at cooling though, there is like a 5 degrees Celsius difference between 1700 and 2500RPM.

Because it is 3000RPM the lowest speed it can operate on a DC connector is 1600RPM (which is 5v), still a bit noisy but bearable, anything lower it just turns off (zero RPM), so it won't go under 16000RPM without turning off. I would like the fans just to run at 1400-1500RPM, just a little bit slower please :(

According to Noctua's spec sheet, if connected to a PWM connector the minimum RPM can now be 800RPM. Motherboards only uses PWM on the CPU headers (only two on my motherboard, the 2nd header mirrors the first CPU header so I shouldn't use a PWM splitter on it). So the question is - is there other ways to control fans via PWM? All fan controllers are 3-pin DC unfortunately. And even motherboards these days only use PWM for CPU coolers, the rest are 3-pin DC. (With the exception of ASUS ROG motherboards which uses 4-pin DC, but not PWM)

Corsair Commander Mini is a perfect solution to my problem but it is a bit pricey at $90 and I am not sure if Corsair Commander Mini is a 4-pin PWM or 4-pin DC like ASUS. Does anyone know?

Is there an alternative? 

TL;DR is there a PWM controller apart from motherboard's CPU headers.

Thanks!

EDIT: http://www.overclock.net/products/corsair-commander-mini/reviews/6977

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

I also have another plan. Should I buy a low speed adaptor?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/131450499431

I'll use the adaptor to try and get it from 1600RPM to 1400RPM. Nothing too aggressive. Is there anything wrong with this?

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

Is there no way to control PC fans with a simple potentiometer? (also know in laymens terms as an knob or dial)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Is there no way to control PC fans with a simple potentiometer? (also know in laymens terms as an knob or dial)

Yes but aren't they DC? And I would like a way to see the actual RPM, all my fans are set to 1600RPM right now via Bitfenix fan controller which is digital. Sometimes the fans turn off for a second and on again because 1600RPM is 5v so it is on the edge between off and on.

Yes but aren't they DC?

No idea lol

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Moved to Air Cooling

Yes but aren't they DC?

Yes they are

HTTP/2 203

I don't understand why we don't have a discrete 4-pin PWM fan controllers :(

Seems like a good opportunity with new fans these days being PWM now (eg Fractal Design's new fans, Noctua, Cooler Master 120 Jetflo, Corsair's PWM LED fans, etc).

I'll probably get the Corsair Commander Mini when I have the money. Anyone here familiar with the Commander Mini?

EDIT: Well yes the Corsair Commander Mini is apparently a 4-pin PWM controller. I'll get that as soon as possible!

http://www.overclock.net/products/corsair-commander-mini/reviews/6977

Fan controller?

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Fan controller?

5.25 bay Fan controllers are DC not PWM. My Bitfenix Recon is DC not PWM.

I am going to buy a Corsair Commander Mini for around $50.

I also have another plan. Should I buy a low speed adaptor?

All a low speed adapter is, is a small resistor to drop voltage. So this likely won't work for you since you are on the edge of your start up power requirements.

I don't understand why we don't have a discrete 4-pin PWM fan controllers :(

Seems like a good opportunity with new fans these days being PWM now (eg Fractal Design's new fans, Noctua, Cooler Master 120 Jetflo, Corsair's PWM LED fans, etc).

I'll probably get the Corsair Commander Mini when I have the money. Anyone here familiar with the Commander Mini?

EDIT: Well yes the Corsair Commander Mini is apparently a 4-pin PWM controller. I'll get that as soon as possible!

http://www.overclock.net/products/corsair-commander-mini/reviews/6977

There aren't many because of the increased cost of manufacturing and the relatively small advantage they have over DC controllers that most people aren't willing to pay for. A DC controller can basically just use off the shelf potentiometers since very good ones exist. This keeps costs low on them. For a PWM controller you actually need some sort of logic board control the output on the 4th pin, since no off the shelf solution for this is really available it add significantly to the cost, with the only real benefit being lower starting speeds for some fans. If you are looking for the basics that commander mini is probably going to be your best bet. Aquacomputers Aquaero line is also an extremely nice controller, but its expensive like $150-220 USD depending on model.

Corsair Commander Mini w/Corsair Link as you found out, and there is also the Aquacomputer Aquaero series. EK is working on one as well now.

EK is working on one now? Cool, I might get that one instead. I lost the bid on Corsair Commander Mini on eBay for only Australian $40 (which is usually $90 AUD) so I have to get something else.

• 9 months later...

Just confirmed today - Corsair Link Commander Mini is a 4-pin PWM controller.  As long as you have a solid connection over pin #4 then your PWM fan will get the pulse signal it needs to operate at the RPM you want it to.