Problems installing windows

AngryBullbog

Short version my brother was planning on building a system i have tonnes of spare parts so i said i would build him one out of them so he could save money, The problem is when i try to install Windows 7 or 8 it says the same thing "Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate anexisting system partition. See the setup log files for more information" Would appreciate any help. Was installing with USB.

Specs for this system are here just incase they might help solve the problem:

MB: Asus B75M-PLUS

CPU: i5 2500k

PSU: CX600M

RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury

GPU: MSI R9 280

HDD: 1TB WD Blue

Short version my brother was planning on building a system i have tonnes of spare parts so i said i would build him one out of them so he could save money, The problem is when i try to install Windows 7 or 8 it says the same thing "Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate anexisting system partition. See the setup log files for more information" Would appreciate any help. Was installing with USB.

How long have you had the hard drive?

MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 5 CPU: INTEL G4400 CASE: DIYPC-SOLO-T1-R 

HDD: 160GB SEAGATE SSD: 128GB SAMSUNG PRO 850

POWER SUPPLY: 550W ANTEC

How long have you had the hard drive?

It's a new HDD, it works i have tested it in my own system.

It's a new HDD, it works i have tested it in my own system.

You might be able to connect the HDD to your system and create a partition using Disk Management (win-key + X + Disk Management).

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

Hey AngryBullbog,

Have you tried using the drive in another system if it transfers files properly? have you ran a diagnostic check on the drive to see if it's healthy? I would recommend using WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool. Here's a link: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=I1oixq
Also what are you using to install the OS from (thumb drive, original CD, etc.)? Maybe try another installation disk or create a bootable thumb drive. Also clearing the CMOS might help. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

One more option you could try if the excelent advice Captain_WD gave you doesn't solve your problem would be to use Microsoft DISKPART to clean the drive of all partitions, then retry installing the OS to it. Best of luck!

I didn't ask what it was designed to do, I asked what it was capable of doing.

So i tried all the suggestions above, still nothing HDD is fully functional and healthy.

I was reading another forum and someone said that changing their USB from a Kingston helped could my Kingston pen drive be the problem? I have searched for more info on this and it seems in alot of cases this problem has been solved by switching from a Kingston pen drive, just wondering if it is worth me buying another pen drive? or is it just a coincidence that people switching from Kingston solved their problem.

My pendrive: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB

take a picture of the screen

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

So i tried all the suggestions above, still nothing HDD is fully functional and healthy.

I was reading another forum and someone said that changing their USB from a Kingston helped could my Kingston pen drive be the problem? I have searched for more info on this and it seems in alot of cases this problem has been solved by switching from a Kingston pen drive, just wondering if it is worth me buying another pen drive? or is it just a coincidence that people switching from Kingston solved their problem.

My pendrive: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB

Try redoing the USB as a bootable drive. If that doesn't work, try installing the OS on the same drive with the same thumb drive but on a different computer. That should give you an idea if the problem comes from the drives or somewhere else from your system.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/