Missing motherboard pins.. Is it usable?

Go to solution Solved by Gofspar,

Thanks, I was looking for a chart like this. I have identified two of the missing pins to be VSS, are those data pins?

thats a power delivery pin, should work fine!

congrats on the board. :)

Hey all, I recently bought an LGA 1155 ASUS motherboard labeled "for parts or not working" on eBay. Seller described the damage being only in the socket, specifically some bent pins here and there. While trying to fix it, some of the pins were literally impossible to lift without damaging, leaving 3 to break off from their little holes. The other pins that were bent are fixed I believe, but I am unsure if the missing pins that broke off will kill any potential in resurrecting the board. So that leads me to my question, can a motherboard operate without a few broken pins?

junker build in the making

it won't work if any pins in the socket are missing.

When in doubt: C4

depends on pins, if its a simple voltage pin you'll be fine. if its a data pin you are fucked.

pins_sandyamb4.png

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

Hey all, I recently bought an LGA 1155 ASUS motherboard labeled "for parts or not working" on eBay. Seller described the damage being only in the socket, specifically some bent pins here and there. While trying to fix it, some of the pins were literally impossible to lift without damaging, leaving 3 to break off from their little holes. The other pins that were bent are fixed I believe, but I am unsure if the missing pins that broke off will kill any potential in resurrecting the board. So that leads me to my question, can a motherboard operate without a few broken pins?

Missings pins on the socket? outta luck

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

there are places that will fix ur socket for like $70

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

You might be lucky, if the pins are for the igpu and you won't be using it then maybe

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

depends on pins, if its a simple voltage pin you'll be fine. if its a data pin you are fucked.

pins_sandyamb4.png

Thanks, I was looking for a chart like this. I have identified all of the missing pins to be VSS, are those data pins?

Thanks, I was looking for a chart like this. I have identified two of the missing pins to be VSS, are those data pins?

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

omg, I solemnly swear to provide you a centuries worth of The Witcher. Thank you! 

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...