Hybrid watercooling, phase change and classic watercooling. All copper

My build is currently overeating when I made 3D rendering, the outside temperature is very high (we can reach 25-35-40 in the summer, -25 in winter). I want to build a cooling setup for my build. But a classic watercooling is too simple... So there are my ideas:

Idea 1: a phase chage cooling système that cool down water for a more classic watercooling

What this mean, I will use many old AC unit and modified them to make them work properly and constantly.

After, I will made classic watercooling loop with two 240 rad. These two rad will be link to the phase change rad with fan to made the air transition.

Idea 2: a classic watercooling, but by using a very very big car radiator.

Why? Because a 500mm by 1000mm full copper car radiator can cost around 160$... This is not very expensive.

If you ave any idea about parts, plans, issues, recommandation let me know!

I need your help to do this :)

If you want a build log sayt it! :)

Sorry for my english... I am french, I made my best :)

I am currently creating a youtube channel, I made Video editing, 3D and some short movie. NO GAMING https://www.youtube.com/channel/UConkbPRayP6a8ejnz7K0PTQ/videos

if you phase change water it will be ice and ice won't move that good, also ice gets bigger than water, bursts are no good

There is a reason why PC Radiators are sold as PC radiators not car ones, but I would love to see a build

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Liquid Nitrogen!

i think you will need a bigger pump too if you go for the car radiator. i mean, you'll have to move a lot more water, so maybe use a few pumps that feed into eachother?

i think the custom phase change system would be a lot more challenging (and fun!) to make tough! :D

be sure to post a build log on here when you actually get to building the thing!

Also just to let you know there is something wrong in Egypt 3d rendering for days on end with a 212 evo in an air restricted case was enough with an i7-3820

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Liquid Nitrogen!

i think you will need a bigger pump too if you go for the car radiator. i mean, you'll have to move a lot more water, so maybe use a few pumps that feed into eachother?

i think the custom phase change system would be a lot more challenging (and fun!) to make tough! :D

be sure to post a build log on here when you actually get to building the thing!

For the pump, I am thinking about something made for bigger use too... Like a aquarium pump or a house waterpump... They are very efficiente. And for the car rad yes a lot of water... Maybe 2 reservoir...

I will maybe mix these two idea together :)

And the watercooling in my desk will be all copper (will fit with the ugly sabertooth)

If you ave idea about how I could made the heat transfer from the phase change to the water let me know... I remember you that a phase chage use gaz( compresse it and expend it) its a bit complicated

I am currently creating a youtube channel, I made Video editing, 3D and some short movie. NO GAMING https://www.youtube.com/channel/UConkbPRayP6a8ejnz7K0PTQ/videos

But consider that those phase change units aren't that quiet and can easily get louder than eg. your fridge as it has to take on more heat and works the same!

blubb

Koolance and a couple others make large square radiators that take 120mm or 140mm fans. I think 3x3 (9x120mm or 9x140mm fans) is the largest I've seen, but there's also 2x2 radiators and I think 3x2 as well. So your second idea can be done, and if you Google around you might find ideas on how to mount things up so they'll work.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

My build is currently overeating when I made 3D rendering, the outside temperature is very high (we can reach 25-35-40 in the summer, -25 in winter). I want to build a cooling setup for my build. But a classic watercooling is too simple... So there are my ideas:

Idea 1: a phase chage cooling système that cool down water for a more classic watercooling

What this mean, I will use many old AC unit and modified them to make them work properly and constantly.

After, I will made classic watercooling loop with two 240 rad. These two rad will be link to the phase change rad with fan to made the air transition.

Idea 2: a classic watercooling, but by using a very very big car radiator.

Why? Because a 500mm by 1000mm full copper car radiator can cost around 160$... This is not very expensive.

Sorry for my english... I am french, I made my best :)

What do you think?

1. Overkill. The big problem will keeping ice from forming near the heat interchange.

2. In theory this will work, but the problem is you'd need a copper engine block too. Since those don't exist, you'll probably need to run galvanic corrosion inhibitors even though all loop parts are copper because there will be AL ions floating around inside the radiator from other parts of the engine (this is why antifreeze has galvanic corrosion inhibitors built in, because the loops are almost always mixed metal).

1. Overkill. The big problem will keeping ice from forming near the heat interchange.

2. In theory this will work, but the problem is you'd need a copper engine block too. Since those don't exist, you'll probably need to run galvanic corrosion inhibitors even though all loop parts are copper because there will be AL ions floating around inside the radiator from other parts of the engine (this is why antifreeze has galvanic corrosion inhibitors built in, because the loops are almost always mixed metal).

1: the main goal for this is to cool down water and then cool the parts... I was thinking of an extended heat exchanger to spread more the heat and the ice...

2: So if I understand, I will need a special liquid? Do you think some filter could help too?

Koolance and a couple others make large square radiators that take 120mm or 140mm fans. I think 3x3 (9x120mm or 9x140mm fans) is the largest I've seen, but there's also 2x2 radiators and I think 3x2 as well. So your second idea can be done, and if you Google around you might find ideas on how to mount things up so they'll work.

Yes I know... But they are A LOT more expensive then car one

2: So if I understand, I will need a special liquid? Do you think some filter could help too?

No, there's no filter that will adequately remove the AL ions from the water. Or rather, no cost effective filter. You're trying to filter out atoms after all. Normal car radiator fluid would work just fine. Don't make Linus's mistake and forget to include a biocide though. Silver will work as a biocide inside car anti-freeze (the stuff the radiator normally has in it anyway!), there are also after-market chemicals such as PT Nuke which you can add to the fluid to keep algae from growing.

No, there's no filter that will adequately remove the AL ions from the water. Or rather, no cost effective filter. You're trying to filter out atoms after all. Normal car radiator fluid would work just fine. Don't make Linus's mistake and forget to include a biocide though. Silver will work as a biocide inside car anti-freeze (the stuff the radiator normally has in it anyway!), there are also after-market chemicals such as PT Nuke which you can add to the fluid to keep algae from growing.

Thx, I will chek those fluid and biocide out.