Intel Xeon E5 2699 v3

I was just thinking how cool it would be to have two of these in a dual socket config for my Oracle database server.  Then I remembered that Oracle licensing is based on the CPU/Core count.

Linus, your videos are great! It would be interesting to compare the video rendering speed of a single Xeon (like the E5-2640 v3, E5-2650 v3 or E5-2660 v3) to the i7 5960x, and then do the same thing with a dual Xeon set up. 

What would make it even more interesting is to do it in Avid MC, Adobe PP, Adobe AE and Davinci Resolve, and if you can also do it with and without some good GPU's so that one can see how much of the work is done by the CPU itself. 

That would be really informative of what the difference is between the CPU's but also how they perform with different software. I believe that many editors would love to see this. 

Thanks for doing a great job!

be a part of the steam hardware survey .01% of people use a 36 core machine to game on rofl the results @linustech so um what would happen if you put two 5960x in the server motherboard? just wouldn't boot i suppose?

i would go with a Xeon E7 then.

why? the only advantage of the E7 are the extra QPI lanes to use in 4 or 8 processors servers.

You won't be able to run any non-Server OS on a quad cpu board

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Put it in the folding@home PC. This CPU will cure cancer in no time B)

Truth.

• 3 months later...

I am actually tempted to try this.  If only if he was able to get both video cards working.  I understand you cannot overclock it, but I don't think it would need it.  I seriously don't.  Stock would be good enough.