Can't connect to steam app

I know that there are heaps of forum topics on the internet for this, but from what I've tried... it hasn't worked.

The problem is only with the app itself, I can login to steam on the website fine.

ALSO, if I connect via a VPN, the steam app will work fine.

Q. Why don't I just run steam while on a VPN then?

A. Because I'd like to play gta v online, and it has to connect to the steam app in order to run online. If the steam app can't connect to the internet unless I'm using a VPN, then that means I have to play gta v online through a VPN. - and it's not very nice.

What I've tried:

Deleting everything in the steam folder exuding steam.exe and steam apps folder - and having steam rebuild it.

Running the program as administrator, compatibility mode, and also with "-tcp" in the target.

Resetting winsock entries and TCP/IP stack  - http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/828935673158964273#c828936719140986153

Disable firewall / check allowed programs.

Logging in with VPN, then disconnecting once I'm logged in.

Ethernet cable straight from modem - bypassing router

Has anyone had this problem and solved it?

There are a few 'solved' solutions on other forums, but they haven't worked for me.

Specs in signature, I don't have any anti-virus / anti malware installed.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review