Need help for 500$ gaming PC

Hey guys

I have a budget of 500$ and want to build a capable gaming PC. I already have Windows, a monitor and mouse & keyboard. I don't have any old parts to reuse, any recomendations are appretiated.

Thanks in advance :)

inb4 intel fanboys get mad and ask why not an i3

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($96.95 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($76.98 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 280 3GB TurboDuo Video Card  ($149.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case  ($47.99 @ Micro Center) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($27.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $481.53
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-27 11:34 EDT-0400

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB FTW ACX Video Card  ($154.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $486.53
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-27 11:31 EDT-0400

This is much better lmao. The cpu is better, the upgrade path is better, the gpu is MUCH better and it is also cheaper.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($113.98 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($43.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team Dark 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($47.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card  ($159.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($34.99 @ Micro Center) 
Total: $470.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-27 11:32 EDT-0400

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB FTW ACX Video Card  ($154.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $486.53
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-27 11:31 EDT-0400

That's dollars bro.

Hey guys

I have a budget of 500$ and want to build a capable gaming PC. I already have Windows, a monitor and mouse & keyboard. I don't have any old parts to reuse, any recomendations are appretiated.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZVhff7
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZVhff7/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($71.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A78M-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($54.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Corsair Force LS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($55.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($34.00 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card  ($179.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Raidmax Cobra 400W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($24.00 @ Newegg) 
Total: $500.84

Pros: Quad Core CPU, SSD, GTX 960

Memory: Team Dark 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($47.99 @ Newegg) 

Snip

1x8... go 2x4.. Also possibly worth thinking about is to drop in an SSD instead of a HDD (sure you can find a bargain at around $90 for a 120GB, depending on needs for storage of course. Can always add a storage drive later.)

I still say go used.. you could pick up a decent i7 920 build for that money and have some left over for a new GPU or have a decent (but older) one included along with an SSD.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

This is much better lmao. The cpu is better, the upgrade path is better, the gpu is MUCH better and it is also cheaper.

Don't use that term "upgrade path" at such a low price point you tit. It's only really viable for people that can afford to replace parts over a period of a few months. In OP's case, he's got a low, tight budget. The FX6300 is a decent choice for his price range. Also, i edited the build since i forgot the price drops on AMD cards, been a while since i've looked at R9 cards.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

1x8... go 2x4.. Also possibly worth thinking about is to drop in an SSD instead of a HDD (sure you can find a bargain at around $90 for a 120GB, depending on needs for storage of course. Can always add a storage drive later.)

Doesn't make that much difference also with a single 8gb stick, in the future one can add another one to get dual channel 16 gb memory.

Practically no performance drop in games when running one 8GB stick vs 2x 4GB sticks... That's an old myth, that dual channel is by default better than dual channel.

Doesn't make that much difference also with a single 8gb stick, in the future one can add another one to get dual channel 16 gb memory.

Part of a combo deal.

Don't use that term "upgrade path" at such a low price point you tit. It's only really viable for people that can afford to replace parts over a period of a few months. In OP's case, he's got a low, tight budget. The FX6300 is a decent choice for his price range. Also, i edited the build since i forgot the price drops on AMD cards, been a while since i've looked at R9 cards.

You are what you eat I guess. Also no. An upgrade path is very important. In the future with intel he can add an i7 if he wants and get much better performance in all fronts. With amd in gaming especially there is almost no difference between the fx 6300 and the 'top of the line' 8350. Also are you trying to recommend a cpu which has worse single core performance then core 2 duos?

Hey guys

I won't throw a parts list at you, but some general advice:

- buying used can bring you baller value at a low price.  You will get way more for your buck than you would buying new, turning this $500 build from an "pretty good" build to a "heck yeah" 1080p build.

- that being said, some parts might should be bought new and it's not worth it to buy cheap hardware that will either not last or not work well in the first place.  Shop smart.  If you are new to the PC enthusiast scene, it may take you a while to wrap your head around all the different aspects of pcs, but this forum will help if you have questions.  LTT has a good video here:

- personally, I would recommend an SSD.  It's worth it to me.  Once you go black...

You are what you eat I guess. Also no. An upgrade path is very important. In the future with intel he can add an i7 if he wants and get much better performance in all fronts. With amd in gaming especially there is almost no difference between the fx 6300 and the 'top of the line' 8350. Also are you trying to recommend a cpu which has worse single core performance then core 2 duos?

I'd recommend an FX 6300 over an i3 in general, for the price point. Simply for the number of cores, as a lot of modern games can benefit from it. And if a game struggles on the FX6300, it won't be that much better on the i3, you seem to wish to over-exaggerate the performance difference, for these low-end chips.

I'd rather OP save up a bit more, and get an i5 but that's something for him/her to work out if they can hold out a bit longer while they save up.

Or there is simply Ebay for used parts, could probably get a Q6600 build together which'll do alright for the price.

I'd recommend an FX 6300 over an i3 in general, for the price point. Simply for the number of cores, as a lot of modern games can benefit from it. And if a game struggles on the FX6300, it won't be that much better on the i3, you seem to wish to over-exaggerate the performance difference, for these low-end chips.

I'd rather OP save up a bit more, and get an i5 but that's something for him/her to work out if they can hold out a bit longer while they save up.

Or there is simply Ebay for used parts, could probably get a Q6600 build together which'll do alright for the price.

Don't forget it also depends on what games the op wants to play. However in most cases with a low end gpu (or mid end) there isnt a performance difference, unless playing games which are very cpu dependent. The biggest reason imo for choosing an i3 is because one can get an i7 in the future and basically have an amazing cpu which performs amazing in every scenario.

Don't forget it also depends on what games the op wants to play. However in most cases with a low end gpu (or mid end) there isnt a performance difference, unless playing games which are very cpu dependent. The biggest reason imo for choosing an i3 is because one can get an i7 in the future and basically have an amazing cpu which performs amazing in every scenario.

i5>i7 for plain gaming lol, i7 is pointless unless you want to do something like livestream/render etc

i5>i7 for plain gaming lol, i7 is pointless unless you want to do something like livestream/render etc

i5=i7 for gaming* And games are starting to utilize the extra threads of the i7 however they still perform amazing on the i5 non the less. Also I said 'amazing cpu which performs amazing in every scenario' which means that I was mentioning rendering/editing etc.

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2