COMCAST! YOU SUCK!

So recently a notice arrived at my house from Comcast (xfinity, comcast, I don't GIVE A SHIT)  saying I was eligible for an upgrade to my modem from my old surfboard model. I was like: "sweet, I could use the extra speed." They then sent me their modem router "gateway" combo, which didn't really surprise me. It had the wifi which I ended up just putting in my basement and using my normal router to get better performance. Oh yeah, and the thing gave me the EXACT SAME speed through a speed test. 30 down, 5 up. That was yesterday. So I log on to my PC today and the internet was slow as molasses. I then navigated to Ookla Speedtest and was horrified. 1 Mb per second down and up. I rebooted both the gateway and primary router multiple times but no luck. I plan to return both the combo unit and the surfboard model and just buy a modem from the nearest micro center. Should I keep my old modem, or should I just get a new one? I was looking at this modem: http://www.microcenter.com/product/366191/DOCSIS_30_Cable_Modem_Approved_For_All_Services_-_5341

Have any of you had a bad experience with this modem?

Comcast, you suck!

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2

If the old modem yields the same speeds, then the problem is not with the new modem.

Computer Science student proficient in OSX, Linux and Windows

(Dell Inspiron 7570): i5-8550u | Geforce 940MX | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | 15.6" 1920x1080 ScreenWindows 10 |

this sounds more like a network issue...not a modem issue

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

and btw...of course you are gonna get the same speed...you have to pay more for a higher speed...

and btw...of course you are gonna get the same speed...you have to pay more for a higher speed...

No on the notice it said that the upload speeds where "guaranteed" to be at least 10 Mbps. Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm, no comcast, no

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

If the old modem yields the same speeds, then the problem is not with the new modem.

No if you read that the next day, (aka today) the speeds dropped to 1 Mb per second up or down. I switched out the old modem again and it still has full speed. What an upgrade.

you should know that with cable..guranteed bandwidth is BS...cable internet is shared...so if you have a bunch of people on your node..it get split between them

Comcast sent me the same thing, we upgraded to a faster router/modem combo, that we bought not leased from them, speeds were the same. It's complete crap because they MAY (don't know for sure) get a small kickback on every modem sold. What I find is the worst though is the fact that the router is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to port forward, so Steam didn't work. I'll probably go back to my SURFBOARD Linksys combo.

now you should be getting something like 7.5-9 most of the time

the best modem you can use is probably the surfboard 6183...IF comcast will let you use it...6141 is really good to

you should know that with cable..guranteed bandwidth is BS...cable internet is shared...so if you have a bunch of people on your node..it get split between them

Well aware, but the thing was the older modem was starting to sometimes shut itself off, so I thought "hey it won't do any harm to get a faster modem"

Yeah comcast does suck, we've spent 5+ hours trying to get through to tech support to get our internet fixed before..

And when I had called to have my new modem connected to REPLACE the old one, they just ended up leaving the old one on, making us pay 2x what we should have for a 2nd modem that wasn't even connected to anything, just because they left it on the account.. (They ended up refunding us for the extra money though, so that was at least nice)

And they also did let us get an upgrade to 50Mb/s down 10Mb/s up for just $10 more a month from our original 25Mb/s down 5Mb/s up without having to add phone or tv to our plan too! (I typically get 60Mb/s down and 12Mb/s up :P)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

now you should be getting something like 7.5-9 most of the time

Yeah, so much for that. I would rather have something faster then 1 down 1 up

(I typically get 60Mb/s down and 12Mb/s up :P)

Oh god now I am just annoyed..................

well unless the modem is faulty..(I doubt it)...then  you got a network issue with comcast

you'd have to call them

what modem was your old one

and whats the new one...

make and models

No if you read that the next day, (aka today) the speeds dropped to 1 Mb per second up or down. I switched out the old modem again and it still has full speed. What an upgrade.

I suggest you contact tech support and have them send you over a new modem. If you don't really care, then you could just buy a new one and if your old one works fine then you could just keep using that.

Computer Science student proficient in OSX, Linux and Windows

(Dell Inspiron 7570): i5-8550u | Geforce 940MX | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | 15.6" 1920x1080 ScreenWindows 10 |

well unless the modem is faulty..(I doubt it)...then  you got a network issue with comcast

you'd have to call them

what modem was your old one

and whats the new one...

make and models

The new one is a Technicolor TC8305C

The old one was a Surfboard SB5120

I suggest you contact tech support and have them send you over a new modem. If you don't really care, then you could just buy a new one and if your old one works fine then you could just keep using that.

The old one was being tempermental, and then they would charge for 2 different lines. Also, the old modem is rented from comcast.

Call them back and tell them to come activate your new hardware on your account. I've had crap like this happen to me before over one little mac address that didn't get registered to my account.

technicolor makes modems now?....wow

ok if you can..and if comcast will let you..get a surfboard 6121/6141 or if the budget allows a 6183

technicolor makes modems now?....wow

ok if you can..and if comcast will let you..get a surfboard 6121/6141 or if the budget allows a 6183

I plan to just buy a modem from micro center that is verified to work with comcast. I will not dare try getting something from them directly