First build, recommendations?

Dantastico
Go to solution Solved by stconquest,

Even this is overkill on the CPU, but with such a flexible budget I would do the i7 just in case my computing habits change.  Live streaming, video/audio editing and programming all benefit from the hyper-threading... and it has a 4.0 GHz clock out-of-the-box.

I picked the Z87 motherboard because it is $140 with a $40 mail-in rebate.  You get the performance and the look without the price tag of the Z97.

The monitor is 1440p resolution with an 27" IPS panel.  A bit pricey.  You can add a second 27" 1080p IPS panel as a secondary monitor if you like.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($326.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z87 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($104.00 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory  ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX100 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($179.98 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card  ($323.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 760T White ATX Full Tower Case  ($169.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: BenQ GW2765HT 60Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($359.10 @ Amazon)
Total: $1774.02
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-20 23:11 EDT-0400

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cP8CVn

Hey there, planning to build a pc, i looked around and put this list together, admittedly i chose some stuff for aesthetics like the case and motherboard, id prefer to keep the case, mobo and monitor but would be happy to accept other recommendations.

Things like PSU and cpu, im not so sure on. I was recommended the cpu and psu had a combo deal, so any advice on those would be awesome.

I dont have any storage or graphics card because im planning on salvaging my old ones, but dont know if my geforce gtx 660 is enough, so any help there would be great too, Thanks!

General Info

budget $2500 - 3000 usd (not including os, mouse, keyboard etc)

mostly used for gaming, media, and tab heavy internet browsing

I think that monitor is a bit overpriced

could get a MUCH better pc for your budget with a 500-600$ monitor instead and still be a awesome monitor

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

That 660 is quite weak, with a budget of $3000 you should have at least a Titan X

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cP8CVn

Hey there, planning to build a pc, i looked around and put this list together, admittedly i chose some stuff for aesthetics like the case and motherboard, id prefer to keep the case, mobo and monitor but would be happy to accept other recommendations.

Things like PSU and cpu, im not so sure on. I was recommended the cpu and psu had a combo deal, so any advice on those would be awesome.

I dont have any storage or graphics card because im planning on salvaging my old ones, but dont know if my geforce gtx 660 is enough, so any help there would be great too, Thanks!

General Info

budget $2500 - 3000 usd (not including os, mouse, keyboard etc)

mostly used for gaming, media, and tab heavy internet browsing

Everything looks good. Although the PSU seems abit overkill. Are you going to get another GPU to SLI it? If not maybe you can get something else and then compare the price again.

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

That 660 is quite weak, with a budget of $3000 you should have at least a Titan X

would the difference be that great? thats what i can spend but i dont wanna spend if i dont have to

Everything looks good. Although the PSU seems abit overkill. Are you going to get another GPU to SLI it? If not maybe you can get something else and then compare the price again.

what wattage would you recommend if i dont sli? any brand or anything youd steer me to?

would the difference be that great? thats what i can spend but i dont wanna spend if i dont have to

What is this PC going to be used for?  Just gaming?

@Dantastico  The reason I ask is you are attempting to organize a gaming rig and one the most important components is left out.  The GTX 660 is weak.... and at a $2000+ budget, the 660 is like wtf... does not make sense.

Well a 660 has trouble on low settings 1080p

The Titan X can destroy in 4k

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

What is this PC going to be used for?  Just gaming?

yeah, i watch a lot of netflix and broswe the web

what wattage would you recommend if i dont sli? any brand or anything youd steer me to?

From what I can see, I think 500 - 600 would be more than enough for you if you are not going to SLI. Brand wise, Cooler master, seasonic (this was recommended by members here, however not that great in my country), EVGA or even Corsair. Just get either one with wattage 500 - 600 and within your budget. Should be good then.

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

i do like the sound of that

Jesus, they cost a grand, holy crap

Jesus, they cost a grand, holy crap

Haha. Yes, they do cost a lot. If you are just gonna game on 1080p, Just get a GTX 970. Should be more than enough for now. Or if you don't mind AMD GPU, get the r9 290x. In my country, 290x cost cheaper than 970 that's why I went for 290x. :P

Spoiler

Haha. Yes, they do cost a lot. If you are just gonna game on 1080p, Just get a GTX 970. Should be more than enough for now. Or if you don't mind AMD GPU, get the r9 290x. In my country, 290x cost cheaper than 970 that's why I went for 290x. :P

Thats way better lol, does my monitor even support 4k? i cant seem to find anything thats says its 4k compatible (ie i dont see "4k" written anywhere lol"

Even this is overkill on the CPU, but with such a flexible budget I would do the i7 just in case my computing habits change.  Live streaming, video/audio editing and programming all benefit from the hyper-threading... and it has a 4.0 GHz clock out-of-the-box.

I picked the Z87 motherboard because it is $140 with a $40 mail-in rebate.  You get the performance and the look without the price tag of the Z97.

The monitor is 1440p resolution with an 27" IPS panel.  A bit pricey.  You can add a second 27" 1080p IPS panel as a secondary monitor if you like.

Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory  ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($84.99 @ NCIX US)

Thats way better lol, does my monitor even support 4k? i cant seem to find anything thats says its 4k compatible (ie i dont see "4k" written anywhere lol"

Your monitor is not 4K. The resolution is 3440 x 1440 (about half the amount of pixel when compare to "4K" resolution). I think GTX 970 or r9 290x should be ok to handle that.

Spoiler

Wow, thank you. i gotta say i wasnt expecting someone to just do the whole list, but i applaud your enthusiasm. Unfortunately i really want a curved monitor

Wow, thank you. i gotta say i wasnt expecting someone to just do the whole list, but i applaud your enthusiasm. Unfortunately i really want a curved monitor

It is really just comparative... like switching the $250 Z97 Sabertooth for the $100 Z87 Sabertooth.  It saves a bunch.

...and you are welcome.  :)

It is really just comparative... like switching the $250 Z97 Sabertooth for the $100 Z87 Sabertooth.  It saves a bunch.

...and you are welcome.  :)

is there really no differences between the motherboards?

is there really no differences between the motherboards?

There should not be anything groundbreaking, but let me check it out... just finishing a game of LoL (20 min).

@Dantastico Z87 base performance is exactly the same.  Check them out, they are nearly identical.  MSata for SSD storage is not a big deal, the Intel 750 runs off of regular PCI-E and I believe it is the fastest SSD on the market. 

There should not be anything groundbreaking, but let me check it out... just finishing a game of LoL (20 min).

@Dantastico Z87 base performance is exactly the same.  Check them out, they are nearly identical.  MSata for SSD storage is not a big deal, the Intel 750 runs off of regular PCI-E and I believe it is the fastest SSD on the market. 

You might need to update the bios for it to work with the 4790k. It should say that on the sites aswell. 

That's about it  :D

Edit: correct me if im wrong!!

Main rig / To swap the 970 for a ref card?!

You might need to update the bios for it to work with the 4790k. It should say that on the sites aswell. 

That's about it  :D

Edit: correct me if im wrong!!

The one at Newegg is ready for Haswell Refresh CPUs.

:)