What happens if you fail an overclock?

I want to start overclocking my 5820K because I'm like getting 60C full load. Im just wondering what will happen if you fail overclocking? Like not overheating, I mean if it becomes REALLY unstable.

i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Corsair DDR4 LPX 16 GB | MSI GTX 970 Gaming | Corsair 750D | WD Black 1 TB | MX100 256 GB | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 Watt | ASUS VG248QE | Corsair H105 | K70 MX blues non-RGB | M95 | H1500 | Windows 8.1 64-bit

death....for you and your pc

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Blue screen of death.

but after you get the blue screen can you just go back into the BIOS and reset the OC? 

i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Corsair DDR4 LPX 16 GB | MSI GTX 970 Gaming | Corsair 750D | WD Black 1 TB | MX100 256 GB | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 Watt | ASUS VG248QE | Corsair H105 | K70 MX blues non-RGB | M95 | H1500 | Windows 8.1 64-bit

Blue screen of death, application crashes, or if you're using P95, the "workers" can also just fail.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

but after you get the blue screen can you just go back into the BIOS and reset the OC? 

Most of the time, yes. If that doesn't work, remove your CMOS battery for a few seconds and the BIOS should reset. That being said, some people brick their BIOS doing extreme overclocking, which would require a complete re-write of the BIOS.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

blue screen unless you are an idiot and crank the fuck out of your voltage or something.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Depends on how badly you failed. Sometimes you can still get into the BIOS (usually if it only fails during stress tests) but for OCs that fail before you can boot, you will need to reset the CMOS (the motherboard's onboard storage which records and stores the changes you've made from the default BIOS settings) by using the reset CMOS button if you motherboard has one, or else by removing the coin battery and waiting for a few minutes. When you put it back in and boot, all the BIOS settings will be restored to default and you can start over.

obviously joking...almost nothing happens..you reset bios..and try again

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile