I am doing this just for fun.

The basic idea is that I am trying to pimp out a really old PC (and when I say old I mean old, 2008 old). The PC it self is a pree build PC and I thought I would have some fun with it and see if I can make it run a tripple A on todays standards or at least legue of legends xD. The motherboard that I have is M2N68-LA and I have a vage idea on what can I put in it beofre I fry the motherboard in total. I was thinking of puting in it a Athlon 64 X2 and a GTX 280 in SLI, I have also decided to go for 4GB of 800MHz RAM and currently that is as for as I habe got. I relly would like to hear your opinion on this matter and what do you think that I can put in the system. Only part that I am not really sure about is the PSU, I have no idea if the PSUs made today will not accidentally destroy the system (I have no idea why it would but it's a concern of mines). another thing is that I was woundering if I can put a higher end GPU and or CPU in this motherboard.

thank you for reading and I would like o hear your opinion below.

If you're going for 2008 like that, I would drop the Athlon 64 X2 and grab a Q6600 and a decent 775 motherboard. That will handle the SLI 280s.

The PSU won't destroy anything as long as it's a quality PSU, as they haven't changed in basic power design for over a decade and a half, if not longer. It's all 12V, 5V and 3.3V. That's all. Same power connectors. Remember, the PSU is not dumping power into the motherboard, the motherboard is drawing from the power supply. It'll be fine.

There's nothing stopping you from putting a new graphics card in the X2 machine, but it will bottleneck nastily. going with a Q6600 will be a much better way to go, especially if you get an overclocking motherboard. You could throw an R9 290 in there and it would do very well, as per Scrapyard wars. But that's just a suggestion from me, as I would not ever pick an X2 for gaming. You can do what you like. Just don't expect the greatest results.

I love building old machines. Have a ton of fun! :D