Can't access hard drive?

RagePoweredGamer
Go to solution Solved by Enderman,

in windows disk management you need to format and partition the HDD before you use it

So I've been looking online for an hour now, and with all the other hell this new PC build has given me, I decided to come here. You guys are always so amazing with questions. Here's the breakdown.

I have a prebuilt 2 year old laptop and a new PC I built myself today.

I need to work in less than 36 hours on the new computer, using applications from the old one, and basically want to just upgrade it.

I bought a new copy of Windows 8.1 and put it on my SSD, it boots just swell.

I also just bought a new WD 3 TB HDD and I can't seem to use it.

I can see it in BIOS. I can see it in Device manager. I can see it in applications. I'm currently copying all of the files from my old laptop HDD to it using a third party software BECAUSE I can't see it in the normal Windows interface anywhere where I can actually get into it. The drivers say up to  date. Device manager shows no errors, and the "partition copy software" i am using right now seems to have no issues copying it. Every method I CAN see it with shows the capacity, including the partitions set aside by default for system and everything, but I can't just go into it or open it. I'm posting this near midnight, and I have all of tomorrow to copy everything, but by bed time tomorrow I either have to have this new behemoth to my work space to replace the old one, or get the laptop and everything connected back up to everything and work on the old setup until I can get the solution to this crap. If you are going to ask "have you done the bloopity doop to the thingamabobber", no I haven't. I'm sorry to sound douchey, but this is my first build, and the first time I've needed to copy things other than a music and picture library. Any info would be much appreciated, guys! I love you all!

The 2 main goals here are to have a "Windows Easy Transfer result", which I can fine tune if I can nearly clone this drive, but the other thing I need is to e able to access things ON it so I can do that.

in windows disk management you need to format and partition the HDD before you use it

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It shows the normal partition lines like the other 2 drives already, does that mean anything or no?

It shows the normal partition lines like the other 2 drives already, does that mean anything or no?

???

partition lines?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

it needs to be formatted into ONE partition...

and it needs to be using a special format (i think GPD or something, not sure) because its larger than 2.2TB

check google

Spoiler

it needs to be formatted into ONE partition...

and it needs to be using a special format (i think GPD or something, not sure) because its larger than 2.2TB

check google

Okay. Well I have a program copying over the majority of my 1 TB data, which has taken almost 2 hours now. I'm thinking I might want to wait until that's done in only another 20 minutes and find out if that works before wiping it and trying again, right? I mean, if the partition is too small but still works, I have software that can extend the partition, I think...

Okay. Well I have a program copying over the majority of my 1 TB data, which has taken almost 2 hours now. I'm thinking I might want to wait until that's done in only another 20 minutes and find out if that works before wiping it and trying again, right? I mean, if the partition is too small but still works, I have software that can extend the partition, I think...

yeah you could try extending it...

Spoiler

yeah you could try extending it...

Thank you. I'm going to leave this open, because I have a bad feeling that nothing is this easy, considering all of the hardships while building this thing and installing Windows to begin with, but I will definitely try that if this doesn't work. In the mean time, I'm going to see if anybody else here might give other suggestions. You know, thoroughness and all that.