First timer needing help

ryane

Basically I'm building a custom pc for the first time with a budget of around $1.1k. I have picked out components that I think is suited for my game style and usage but I'm not sure if there are any mismatches in components that might be incompatible with each other. I did most of the research but I just want to make sure and get views from a professional perspective. Here's my build:

Intel core i5-4590 3.3GHz

Asus Z87A

CM Hyper 212EVO

Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 2x8gb

Intel 530 series 180GB ssd

WD Green 3TB

Evga gtx 970

nzxt phantom 530 ATX full tower case

Corsair CX 430

Totaling everything is about $1,050. However, I'm struggling with video card and I'm not sure if the 970 is a good option because of its memory problem and I hear that AMD cards tend to be hotter compared to NVDIA for the same level graphics cards. I'm sure for now I would not be going over the 3.5GB memory band but I want something that is the bang for the buck while not losing the cushion for future games that require higher memory bandwith. Same thing goes for the i5-4590 for 4690k.  Also, I'm not sure if there is a difference in between the manufacturers of the video cards. Another one I failed to find out about was the difference between WD green and WD caviar green. It will be much appreciated if anyone can help me out.

Thanks!

I don't think you'll need 16GB of RAM.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Basically I'm building a custom pc for the first time with a budget of around $1.1k. I have picked out components that I think is suited for my game style and usage but I'm not sure if there are any mismatches in components that might be incompatible with each other. I did most of the research but I just want to make sure and get views from a professional perspective. Here's my build:

Intel core i5-4590 3.3GHz

Asus Z87A

CM Hyper 212EVO

Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 2x8gb

Intel 530 series 180GB ssd

WD Green 3TB

Evga gtx 970

nzxt phantom 530 ATX full tower case

Corsair CX 430

Totaling everything is about $1,050. However, I'm struggling with video card and I'm not sure if the 970 is a good option because of its memory problem and I hear that AMD cards tend to be hotter compared to NVDIA for the same level graphics cards. I'm sure for now I would not be going over the 3.5GB memory band but I want something that is the bang for the buck while not losing the cushion for future games that require higher memory bandwith. Same thing goes for the i5-4590 for 4690k.  Also, I'm not sure if there is a difference in between the manufacturers of the video cards. Another one I failed to find out about was the difference between WD green and WD caviar green. It will be much appreciated if anyone can help me out.

Thanks!

This is what I'd get:

The only parts that I stuck with from your build were the Phantom 530 (because its personaly choice), the cooler (its great) and the GTX 970 (it is a good card). I went down to 8GB of ram (16 isnt needed), got a Z97 mobo that can run SLI, and a 4690K, which can be OC'd. The PSU that I chose is much better than the original and the storage that I chose should perform better, too.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($226.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($139.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 970 4GB XLR8 Video Card  ($300.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT Phantom 530 (Red) ATX Full Tower Case  ($118.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1055.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-18 02:47 EDT-0400

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

Good point. Did not notice that.

This is what I'd get:

The only parts that I stuck with from your build were the Phantom 530 (because its personaly choice), the cooler (its great) and the GTX 970 (it is a good card). I went down to 8GB of ram (16 isnt needed), got a Z97 mobo that can run SLI, and a 4690K, which can be OC'd. The PSU that I chose is much better than the original and the storage that I chose should perform better, too.

Mind providing reasons for getting a much higher than needed PSU other than its performance? And does the manufacturer of the Video card matter?

Agreed. You really should get the 4690K though. and 3TB is a little bit overkill for a first build. You could downgrade to 2TB and put the extra money towards a 4690K. Cooler is good. No need to change it  You may want more wattage on that PSU. In terms of GPU brands there is AMD and Nvidia, as you may already know. AMD make really good cards for the amount of money they charge. But Nvidia make better high-end cards that run cooler.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

Good point. Did not notice that.

Mind providing reasons for getting a much higher than needed PSU other than its performance? And does the manufacturer of the Video card matter?

Manufacturer doesnt matter; this was the cheapest one. 

As for the PSU, a higher-than needed is always recommended. Aside from this one being much better quality, your computer will pull power from the wall more efficiently, saving you/your folks money. Also, it allows for even SLI in the future.

This is what I'd get:

Would go with this guys build much better 

Agreed. You really should get the 4690K though. and 3TB is a little bit overkill for a first build. You could downgrade to 2TB and put the extra money towards a 4690K. Cooler is good. No need to change it  You may want more wattage on that PSU. In terms of GPU brands there is AMD and Nvidia, as you may already know. AMD make really good cards for the amount of money they charge. But Nvidia make better high-end cards that run cooler.

I see. Would it be better if I were to have another to use as a backup drive?

Manufacturer doesnt matter; this was the cheapest one. 

As for the PSU, a higher-than needed is always recommended. Aside from this one being much better quality, your computer will pull power from the wall more efficiently, saving you/your folks money. Also, it allows for even SLI in the future.

Would go with this guys build much better 

Got it. Thanks!

Anyone has any idea about the WD caviar green and green although its not really on topic?

Got it. Thanks!

Anyone has any idea about the WD caviar green and green although its not really on topic?

What about a backup drive?

And the WD Green is fine, but it spins a bit slower to save energy, which is the main draw back with it.

What about a backup drive?

And the WD Green is fine, but it spins a bit slower to save energy, which is the main draw back with it.

Adding another HDD into the system to use as storage backup in case one fails.

Regarding the RAM would there be a difference if I use a 8gb in stead of 2x4gb?

If you want. 2 x 1Tb drives wouldn't be a bad idea in case one fails. or you could just get an external drive in the future.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

Adding another HDD into the system to use as storage backup in case one fails.

Regarding the RAM would there be a difference if I use a 8gb in stead of 2x4gb?

Yes there is. Having 2 x 4GB will improve performance, and only costs a couple dollars more in most cases.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

Yes there is. Having 2 x 4GB will improve performance, and only costs a couple dollars more in most cases.

I see. In this case I think the 2x 4GB is cheaper. Thanks!

What RAM are you using? 

I see. In this case I think the 2x 4GB is cheaper. Thanks!

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

What RAM are you using? 

G. Skill Sniper. Its cheaper because theres a promotion.

This is what I'd get:

Don't choose the EVGA NEX PSU as it isn't as good quality as either the EVGA G2 series, or any XFX/some Antec PSUs that are made by Seasonic, or a Seasonic PSU of course

i5 4670k - Z87X-UD3H - EVGA GTX 670 Sig 2 - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 8GB Avexir Core White 1600Mhz - Corsair 750D w/ RGB LED Mod & Remote Control - 2x SP120 - 3x Enermax Cluster - 2TB Seagate SSHD - Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 - SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750W 

SLI ready. You can drop down to a 550W if you only want to run a single card.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($129.99 @ Amazon) 

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card  ($329.99 @ Micro Center) 

Total: $1131.88

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-18 07:34 EDT-0400

G. Skill Sniper. Its cheaper because theres a promotion.

When selecting pc components don't give in to promotional offers. (Except if it comes with Witcher 3) 

Why don't you get Kingston Fury (Red or Blue) Series RAM 1866 DDR3

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

Don't choose the EVGA NEX PSU as it isn't as good quality as either the EVGA G2 series, or any XFX/some Antec PSUs that are made by Seasonic, or a Seasonic PSU of course

SLI ready. You can drop down to a 550W if you only want to run a single card.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($129.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card  ($329.99 @ Micro Center) 
Total: $1131.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-18 07:34 EDT-0400

When selecting pc components don't give in to promotional offers. (Except if it comes with Witcher 3) 

Why don't you get Kingston Fury (Red or Blue) Series RAM 1866 DDR3

Noted. Thanks guys!