Mirrorless options.

TL;DR   I want a Mirrorless DSLR for a trip I will be going on in a couple years (2017) because I don't think it would be the best idea to bring a true DSLR and other fun stuff. I really like the way the Fuji X100T looks and from what I can tell it's a pretty good camera with some functional issues but nothing major. Would there be a better option from the mirrorless options or would an X100T faire me well... (En français <<Faire>> est "to do/make" en Anglais, il y a un jeu de mots.)

Preface - In 2017 I'll be travelling to France with school and I do plan on buying a full frame mirrored DSLR (Probably something from the Canon Rebel family) however, I don't think that bringing a true DSLR with lenses is a smart idea from a shorter stay sort of aspect. While I do hope to have a Moto X by then, I feel that a phone camera will be on par with a mirrorless DSLR. Of course true DSLRs are ideal and the rebel family from Canon is cheaper than some mirror-less options the mirror-less option does have an advantage in the sense that it is better than a phone's camera and still portable.

Body - So I'm considering the Fuji X100T, however from some reading that the Sony a6000 (and most Sony Mirror-less DSLRs) are the best mirror-less options on the market. Some of the justifications for the X100T for me is the design. The X100T from the reviews I've watched that the camera takes good images but the issues with the camera are mostly function and not performance. 

Conclusion - Realistically, would any one who viewed an image taken on an X100T notice any major difference between an image taken on the X100T and an a6000 or any other mirrorless. 

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

photos or photos + video?

what are you expected to photograph mostly?

budget? with lenses? and what kind of lenses?

why full frame? something wrong with APS-C?

what kind of features you want?

keep in mind new products come out every year and buying one now will leave you with feeling burned when the nicer stuff can be had for the same price you paid the previous year. Only advantage of buying early would be practice and learning photography.

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

photos or photos + video?

what are you expected to photograph mostly?

budget? with lenses? and what kind of lenses?

why full frame? something wrong with APS-C?

what kind of features you want?

keep in mind new products come out every year and buying one now will leave you with feeling burned when the nicer stuff can be had for the same price you paid the previous year. Only advantage of buying early would be practice and learning photography.

Photos mostly on the mirrorless and APS-C is fine I just figure that a true DSLR is generally better.

Budget for a mirror-less <$1,200

Features I don't really care, as long as I can control the f/, depth of field and other stuff like that.

I know that there are generational changes and that Fuji or some other brand might come to market with something that fits what I want/need.

I mostly will be taking street shots with the X100T (or another mirrorless). 

Photos mostly on the mirrorless and APS-C is fine I just figure that a true DSLR is generally better.

Budget for a mirror-less <$1,200

Features I don't really care, as long as I can control the f/, depth of field and other stuff like that.

I know that there are generational changes and that Fuji or some other brand might come to market with something that fits what I want/need.

I mostly will be taking street shots with the X100T (or another mirrorless). 

The Sony a6000 + lenses would do just fine, good value overall. Can't go wrong with that.

The Panasonic GX7 looks good too.

Besides the sensor, the best picture quality is based on the glass in the lenses. You might want to think about who out there has the best set of lenses for your needs and move back from there. For most people just 2 lenses are enough.

I personally like Samsung and Panasonic mirrorless cameras because they're usually spec or feature beasts (especially their high end stuff)

If you go the route of point and shoot to save some money, the Sony RX100 III or the Panasonic Lumix LX100 are nice (I like the Lumix for 4k video) but they have limited zoom with their fixed lenses.

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

@wcreek I have a X100T and I love the camera. That said, I am used to shooting range finders and the X100T feels very similar. You will be stuck with just one focal length, 35mm, unless you get the lens adaptors. The ergonomics are great for me and the image quality is great. The sensor is aps-c, so achieving shallow depth of field is relatively easy. I haven't used the video as I have a Black Magic pocket camera for that...

If you need the ability to switch lenses, the x100t may not be for you. Hardware Canucks just recently released a review on you tube that you should watch if you haven't already.

CPU AMD Ryzen 2700 X / Motherboard  / RAM 4 x 4GB  / GPU Zotac 1080Ti Amp Edition / Case Fractal Design Meshify C / Storage Samsung 850 PRO / 1TB WD Black & 2TB WD Green / PSU / Cooling Noctua / Keyboard Ducky Shine 2 / Mouse Logitech G700 / Sound O2 Amp/DAC & Audioengine A5+ speakers

First the Fujifilm x100T is not a mirroreless camera, it's a enthusiast compact, but yes its a very good street camera.

Second there is no Full frame Canon Rebel, it's just Canon full frame DSLR.

At $1200 USD, you can go for:

Sony A6000 with lens
Panasonic GX7 with lens

Olympus OMD EM-5/EM-10 with lens

Fujifilm XE-2 with lens

The Sony a6000 + lenses would do just fine, good value overall. Can't go wrong with that.

The Panasonic GX7 looks good too.

Besides the sensor, the best picture quality is based on the glass in the lenses. You might want to think about who out there has the best set of lenses for your needs and move back from there. For most people just 2 lenses are enough.

I personally like Samsung and Panasonic mirrorless cameras because they're usually spec or feature beasts (especially their high end stuff)

If you go the route of point and shoot to save some money, the Sony RX100 III or the Panasonic Lumix LX100 are nice (I like the Lumix for 4k video) but they have limited zoom with their fixed lenses.

The panasonic looks nice but that's quite a plethora of buttons.  :o

@wcreek I have a X100T and I love the camera. That said, I am used to shooting range finders and the X100T feels very similar. You will be stuck with just one focal length, 35mm, unless you get the lens adaptors. The ergonomics are great for me and the image quality is great. The sensor is aps-c, so achieving shallow depth of field is relatively easy. I haven't used the video as I have a Black Magic pocket camera for that...

If you need the ability to switch lenses, the x100t may not be for you. Hardware Canucks just recently released a review on you tube that you should watch if you haven't already.

I would suspect that a 35mm lens would be fine. I did the Hardware Canucks review. I think I like about that camera is more of an aesthetic thing that it seems that other options don't exactly have. 

First the Fujifilm x100T is not a mirroreless camera, it's a enthusiast compact, but yes its a very good street camera.

Second there is no Full frame Canon Rebel, it's just Canon full frame DSLR.

At $1200 USD, you can go for:

Sony A6000 with lens

Panasonic GX7 with lens

Olympus OMD EM-5/EM-10 with lens

Fujifilm XE-2 with lens

Yeah. Probably the Fuji or Panasonic (again)

Snip

My advice would be to try and hold each camera in person. The x100t does look nice, but it may feel uncomfortable in hand or another camera may feel better. The image quality is superb. Any IQ issues are most likely due to user error than the sensor or lens. I personally doubt you'll be able to tell the difference between x100t and Sony a6000.

CPU AMD Ryzen 2700 X / Motherboard  / RAM 4 x 4GB  / GPU Zotac 1080Ti Amp Edition / Case Fractal Design Meshify C / Storage Samsung 850 PRO / 1TB WD Black & 2TB WD Green / PSU / Cooling Noctua / Keyboard Ducky Shine 2 / Mouse Logitech G700 / Sound O2 Amp/DAC & Audioengine A5+ speakers

Just remember the 35mm Equivalent of any mirrorless or dslr, is usually one of the most expensive primes 

My advice would be to try and hold each camera in person. The x100t does look nice, but it may feel uncomfortable in hand or another camera may feel better. The image quality is superb. Any IQ issues are most likely due to user error than the sensor or lens. I personally doubt you'll be able to tell the difference between x100t and Sony a6000.

Okay, yeah I try to find one in my area. (Doubt Target would have one) I guess the XE-2 might be fine but...

Just remember the 35mm Equivalent of any mirrorless or dslr, is usually one of the most expensive primes 

I don't really think I need that much range for closer up shots or shots where the subject might be rather large so zooming would bring the subject out of frame. 

For Fujifilm X-e2 (if you chose it) justs think with they stock one it comes with, which is a 18-5..5 F2.8-4 which is 27-82.5mm eq.

For Panasonic or Olympus the Olympus 14-54mm F2.8-3.5 is quite good, eq to 28-108mm

For Fujifilm X-e2 (if you chose it) justs think with they stock one it comes with, which is a 18-5..5 F2.8-4 which is 27-82.5mm eq.

For Panasonic or Olympus the Olympus 14-54mm F2.8-3.5 is quite good, eq to 28-108mm

I was reading youtube comments and someone mentioned that the Fuji X-T1 is the essentially poor mans' Leica M Monochrom.

I wonder does the X-T1 offer similar or better contrast, sharpness and the sort of character that the X100T has.

I was reading youtube comments and someone mentioned that the Fuji X-T1 is the essentially poor mans' Leica M Monochrom.

I wonder does the X-T1 offer similar or better contrast, sharpness and the sort of character that the X100T has.

Well the x-t1 is similar to the x100T, and the x-e2 is the cheaper and non fully weather sealed, non double screen VF version of the x-t1.

I'm personally a huge fan of Fujifilm X series, tho I also love the a6000, I found they dont have many good native lens, unless you get true zeiss lens, or get another lens mount and mount those lens.

My friend exclusively uses M4/3 which are the mirrorless Panasonic's and Olympus, they got alot of lens that are cheap.

Well the x-t1 is similar to the x100T, and the x-e2 is the cheaper and non fully weather sealed, non double screen VF version of the x-t1.

I'm personally a huge fan of Fujifilm X series, tho I also love the a6000, I found they dont have many good native lens, unless you get true zeiss lens, or get another lens mount and mount those lens.

My friend exclusively uses M4/3 which are the mirrorless Panasonic's and Olympus, they got alot of lens that are cheap.

Yeah whatever I got would be a compliment to a DSLR such as a Rebel t5i (700D). I'm sort of re-evaluating some options. I also have been indecisive if I should fork out $60 more for an additional 256GB on the Dell XPS 13  (QHD) but that's a question for another sub forum.

To be honest I was and still is a DSLR guy, but I think these few mirrorless I quoted can anytime replace the 700D, in many aspects.

To be honest I was and still is a DSLR guy, but I think these few mirrorless I quoted can anytime replace the 700D, in many aspects.

Okay... So the x100t will be fine as long I don't need more focal length.

Okay... So the x100t will be fine as long I don't need more focal length.

I guess you can say that

2 years is a long time.
If you don't need the mirrorless until the trip I'd suggest to wait and see what comes out.
You can also save more money while you wait.

I have the Sony a7 which is a Superb camera IMO if you don't rely on the AF and keep extra batteries in your pocket.
If you do get a mirrorless buy an adapter and some manual canon fd lenses, It's really fun and quite cheap :)

2 years is a long time.

If you don't need the mirrorless until the trip I'd suggest to wait and see what comes out.

You can also save more money while you wait.

I have the Sony a7 which is a Superb camera IMO if you don't rely on the AF and keep extra batteries in your pocket.

If you do get a mirrorless buy an adapter and some manual canon fd lenses, It's really fun and quite cheap :)

I suppose buy the better, true DSLR [Canon Rebel T5i] which would be cheaper and see if Fuji releases maybe an updated version of the X100T. I like aesthetic of the Fuji but I guess the Panasonic/Lumix GX7 would work too if it has a noticeably superior sensor. I also like some of the function of the fuji (don't really care if it requires more adjustment than most cameras.)