Warning to AMD Users running Catalyst Beta drivers

Master Disaster

DO NOT USE CATALYST 15.3 BETA ON YOUR SYSTEM, IT HAS THE POTENTIAL TO DESTROY YOYR WINDOWS INSTALL IF YOU EVER UNINSTALL.

Here's the full story..

I had tried to run 3D Marks new API test but couldn't get the DX12 test to run so I reported it as a bug to FM. They replied in a matter of minutes saying that Catalyst 15.3 doesn't support WDDM2.0 or DX12 and I had to uninstall catalyst then obtain it again from windows update. OK I thought, nice speedy response from them, let's give it a try.

Bad idea!

After removing Catalyst 15.3 bad things happened. I noticed Windows update kept failing giving me an error code (strangely it did the driver fine but failed on the actual updates?) so I hit Google where it became apparent that while I could browse the internet it was running mega slow compared to usual. The error code turned out to be because of Proxy, VPN or Tunneling (of which I use none) so I opened the Network & Sharing centre and tried to open the Adapters page but was given a generic "Network Connection: An Unknown Error Has Occurred" dialogue box.

WTF man...

Hit Google again and this new error is caused by DLLs being unregistered, i followed the official MS Technet page and regsrv'd a load of DLL files finally allowing me to open my Adapter List but I still got the same message when I tried to open the Adapter properties.

For fuck sakes

Hit Google again, regged some more DLLs, reset WinHTTP & WinSOCK and ran a MS FixIT wizard from Technet but didn't fix the problem.

Hit Google again and found a guy who said he'd had a similar issue with an older Catalyst Beta and he linked to an article with a decent description of the cause (because Windows was unable to process some critical services) and a registry fix. Tried it, no change.

Hit Services.msc to find almost half my Windows services were showing the description of "Unable to process service - An error has occurred", were stopped and would not start when I tried to.

Hit Google again, found a lot of people kicking off about this error but no one had found either the cause or a fix however they'd all had Beta Catalyst drivers on their systems and uninstalled them.

Net result was 2 hours to reinstall Windows 10 from scratch.

Thank you very much AMD.

You have been warned guys.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

"2 hours to reinstall Windows 10 from scratch."

2?????

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Well to be fair you were using beta drivers...sooo no one guaranties they will work or makes you update to beta

Specs: 

Spoiler

PC:CASE: FD Define r6 | CPU:Intel Core i7-8700k | MB: MSI z370 PC Pro RAM: 32GB Corsair vengance LPX 3000 GPU: Asus rx 6900xt Tuf STORAGE: nand 500GB Samsung 970Evo plus ; Game Storage: 2TB Samsung 860QVO Storage: 2 x WD Green 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | CPUCooler: Noctua NH-D15   DISPLAY: LG 27GL850

"2 hours to reinstall Windows 10 from scratch."

2?????

Not just Windows obviously, first I had to get the ISO for 10041 and copy it to my USB then afterwards there's drivers, critical apps, steam, origin and a few other apps too. It was about 2 hours from start to finish.

Well to be fair you were using beta drivers...sooo no one guaranties they will work or makes you update to beta

Agreed, I only blame myself however if I can stop it from happening to someone else with this post then that's good.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)