Overclocking fx8350 and deciding motherboards.

Go to solution Solved by i_build_nanosuits,

First, could I get to 5 GHz on the fx8350 with 280mm aio liquid cooler (cooler master nepton 280l)?

Second, what motherboard should I get? I'm looking to upgrade from a MSI 970a-G43 (Garbage), and I'm on a pretty tight budget and don't want to go over ~$100. I'm torn between the Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P for the 8+2 power delivery, or the MSI 970 gaming for awesome ascetic's, and better power delivery heat sinks. I'm also worried about the Gigabyte mobo because some had to RMA. What would be best for a high overclock? Or should I skip 970 chipset and go to 990 chipset? Keep in mind I have a tight budget.

First: no i highly doubt it, unless you bought that chip a long time ago when some of them where able to do it...AMD is binning them so heavily nowadays...i highly doubt you can push it anything more than 4.6ghz or so.

2- The UD3P is a solid board, i owned one and it can sustain a 1.5v overclock fairly well but the UEFI is terrible and the board will double post everytime...it has many issues...but it overclock well and is stable.

and i think the MSI 970 gaming is a much weaker board in that regard, but it has an awesome UEFI and should have much less issues...but it's not an overclocking board.

You might want to look at this board as well...it's a new board, cheap...8+2 power phase board said to support the FX-9590 on the FRONT OF THE BOX so it should be a solid board`:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157577&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

i usually don't recommend stuff i haven't had first hands on...so take this with a grain of salt and do proper research.

First, could I get to 5 GHz on the fx8350 with 280mm aio liquid cooler (cooler master nepton 280l)?

Second, what motherboard should I get? I'm looking to upgrade from a MSI 970a-G43 (Garbage), and I'm on a pretty tight budget and don't want to go over ~$100. I'm torn between the Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P for the 8+2 power delivery, or the MSI 970 gaming for awesome aesthetics, and better power delivery heat sinks. I'm also worried about the Gigabyte mobo because some had to RMA. What would be best for a high overclock? Or should I skip 970 chipset and go to 990 chipset? Keep in mind I have a tight budget.

My GTX 970 carries me to global.

I mean, it appears as you game, in which case I would HIGHLY recommend an Intel build, but if you REALLY want to go for AMD, just pickup aboard that appears it can oc that is the cheapest and fits your aesthetic needs.

edit : if you do go intel, a i5 4460 and the cheapest z97 is probably around the same price.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

Second, what motherboard should I get? I'm looking to upgrade from a MSI 970a-G43 (Garbage), and I'm on a pretty tight budget and don't want to go over ~$100. I'm torn between the Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P for the 8+2 power delivery, or the MSI 970 gaming for awesome ascetic's, and better power delivery heat sinks. I'm also worried about the Gigabyte mobo because some had to RMA. What would be best for a high overclock? Or should I skip 970 chipset and go to 990 chipset? Keep in mind I have a tight budget.

First: no i highly doubt it, unless you bought that chip a long time ago when some of them where able to do it...AMD is binning them so heavily nowadays...i highly doubt you can push it anything more than 4.6ghz or so.

2- The UD3P is a solid board, i owned one and it can sustain a 1.5v overclock fairly well but the UEFI is terrible and the board will double post everytime...it has many issues...but it overclock well and is stable.

and i think the MSI 970 gaming is a much weaker board in that regard, but it has an awesome UEFI and should have much less issues...but it's not an overclocking board.

You might want to look at this board as well...it's a new board, cheap...8+2 power phase board said to support the FX-9590 on the FRONT OF THE BOX so it should be a solid board`:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157577&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

i usually don't recommend stuff i haven't had first hands on...so take this with a grain of salt and do proper research.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Huh, really? My 8350 (Bought last year) can reach 5ghz with 1.48 (With LLC) - 1.49

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

I mean, it appears as you game, in which case I would HIGHLY recommend an Intel build, but if you REALLY want to go for AMD, just pickup aboard that appears it can oc that is the cheapest and fits your aesthetic needs.

edit : if you do go intel, a i5 4460 and the cheapest z97 is probably around the same price.

As stated in my post I'm upgrading which means I have the chip already. The 8 cores come in handy.

Huh, really? My 8350 (Bought last year) can reach 5ghz with 1.48 (With LLC) - 1.49

you probably got lucky...i had an FX-8320 that was doing 4.93ghz at 1.52v...bought before they started screening them like hell...but the UD3P motherboard was trottling at such loads....but now AMD has the FX-8370 slot to fill...FX-8370E , FX-9370...FX-9590...those are the great chips, and they are ranked in the order i named them...i even think the FX-8320E is an higher bin than the FX-8350...you got lucky son.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

This was also a board I was looking into but I wasn't sure as some people said to stay away from asrock and others said asrock is great. I probably won't get it as it won't fit well in a white nzxt h440.

This was also a board I was looking into but I wasn't sure as some people said to stay away from asrock and others said asrock is great. I probably won't get it as it won't fit well in a white nzxt h440.

no problem with Asrock as a brand...like all the others they have products in all categories from cheap to SUPER high-end boards...and some are good, some are bad...like all the others...you can't shop a motherboard based on branding.

If this won't fit your color then why would the MSI 970 gaming would? they have similar colors?

Does anyone think I should get a 990 chipset over a 970 or should 970 be good. I plan to not push the chip nor be doing a light overclock, so a fairly high overclock.

I get 4.8 GHz with 1.45v on an FX-8320....

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Does anyone think I should get a 990 chipset over a 970 or should 970 be good. I plan to not push the chip nor be doing a light overclock, so a fairly high overclock.

990FX chipset if you want to use dual graphics cards...many strong 970 chipset boards available nowadays.

This one is nice though if you feel like it:

`http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-ga990fxaud3

But the 970-UD3P should be well enough to max out your chip's overclocking potential...they share the same VRM design i think.

If this won't fit your color then why would the MSI 970 gaming would? they have similar colors?

Because the MSI has less red and not as shiny red. Also the red looks OK with white.

(Don't mind my fractured logic :P)

990FX chipset if you want to use dual graphics cards.

I'm possibly getting another gtx 970 in the distant future. How would a 970 chipset effect dual graphics over the 990.

I'm possibly getting another gtx 970 in the distant future. How would a 970 chipset effect dual graphics over the 990.

no point in doing that...even at 5ghz your FX chip will limit the performance of a single GTX 970 in many games (theres a reason why i had to upgrade from my FX kit only 3 months after i purchase it...you should start monitoring your GPU loads in the games you play...your card is capable of a lot more than what you are getting currently...unless all you do is playing BF4)...so unless you want to game at 4K or something like that forget running dual GTX 970 on such an old processor.

in terms of how it affect it: 970 chipset does not support SLI at all...990FX does support it at PCIe 2.0 X8/X8 which is the same as PCIe 3.0 X4/X4 which again will bottleneck GTX 970 SLI.

(i think the 970 gaming and asrock 970 perf are said to support SLI but it has to be through an intermediate chip which will introduce lag and stuttering...it would be pretty bad IMHO.)

no point in doing that...even at 5ghz your FX chip will limit the performance of a single GTX 970 in many games (theres a reason why i had to upgrade from my FX kit only 3 months after i purchase it...you should start monitoring your GPU loads in the games you play...your card is capable of a lot more than what you are getting currently...unless all you do is playing BF4)...so unless you want to game at 4K or something like that forget running dual GTX 970 on such an old processor.

in terms of how it affect it: 970 chipset does not support SLI at all...990FX does support it at PCIe 2.0 X8/X8 which is the same as PCIe 3.0 X4/X4 which again will bottleneck GTX 970 SLI.

(i think the 970 gaming and asrock 970 perf are said to support SLI but it has to be through an intermediate chip which will introduce lag and stuttering...it would be pretty bad IMHO.)

Your correct about the 8350 bottleneck but the MSI 970 gaming states it supports SLI. And 4x PCI will only drop like 4 fps if I'm not mistaken.

Your correct about the 8350 bottleneck but the MSI 970 gaming states it supports SLI. And 4x PCI will only drop like 4 fps if I'm not mistaken.

last post edited, here's the part you missed:

And with such strong GPU's the missing bandwidth from running at pcie 3.0 x4 speed (or pcie 2.0 x8 ...same thing which ever you prefer to call it) will be a lot more than that.

I wish I got Intel. Everything is on the CPU and not the motherboard basically. Its SO much easier.

I wish I got Intel. Everything is on the CPU and not the motherboard basically. Its SO much easier.

well..on intel you do need a ''Z'' series chipset board that support SLI as well...

well..on intel you do need a ''Z'' series chipset board that support SLI as well...

But overclocking on all motherboards is practically* the same and stupid stuff like tdp doesn't matter as much. You just grab a board with feature you like and your good.

How much better of a overclock will I get with 8+2 over 6+2, also the MSI has better heatsinks.

How much better of a overclock will I get with 8+2 over 6+2, also the MSI has better heatsinks.

you have to understand that your results depends a lot more on the quality of the CPU you got then the motherboard...yes you need a strong board to be able to push high voltages through your chip but how the CPU react to this and how high a frequency you can get it stable at is purely about how good the CPU is...this is called silicon lottery.

sry double post please delete..