Are SSDs Really Worth it?

JujuShinobi
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

What about the Crucial M4? It does have 8GB more for storage

The Samsung 840 is better. Also, going from an hdd to an ssd may be the most noticeable upgrade you can do--especially since you're coming from 5400 rpm drives.

I have been using an 5400rpm drives for the longest time and I have honestly gotten tired of windows taking 2 minutes to boot. I was planning on just getting a WD Blue 1TB 7200rpm drive and be done with it since it is around twice the performance of my old drive.

As I was asking around the Internet what they though of my build, many insisted on getting an SSD saying that it makes a huge difference like night and day. They also said it was essential to modern builds. I did my research and found 2 SSDs which look relatively affordable. They are the Samsung 840 120GB and the Crucial M4 128GB both costing $105 on Amazon.

Is getting an SSD really worth my money? And if so, are the two I found good choices?

Yes, SSD's are worth it. 

Samsung 840 is a great choice. 

You will really see the difference when booting up, you'll never want to change back to a HDD boot drive again. 

Yes, SSD's are worth it.

Samsung 840 is a great choice.

I will never use a HD as my main drive ever again..

Yeah, an SSD would make a huge difference, not only in boot time but also in loading times of often used programs and big files (if you put 'm onto the SSD). And personally I would go for the Samsung if I had to choose

Wi RoZ

YES. ESPECIALLY ON THE FIRST BOO. YOU FEEL LIKE YOU LOST AGES WAITING FOR WINDOWS TO BOOT BEFORE YOU GOT THAT SSD> =))

I recently switched myself to a samsung 840 from a Seagate barracuda 7200 rpm drive. :)  

CPU: i5 -2400 Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 Mobo: Fatal1ty Z68 Pro Gen3 Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz SSD: Samsung 840 120gb HDD: WD 3TB Green, Seagate Barracuda 1TB GPU: Asus GTX 760 Direct CU II (future SLI) Sound card: Xonar Phoebus PSU: Corsair RM series 750 watts Case: Aerocool Mechatron Fans: Bit Fenix Spectre Pros
Monitor:Samsung SyncMaster SA950, Philips Blade 234CLSpeakers: Logitech z506 Headset: Razer Tiamat 7.1 KB: Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth edition Mouse: Ouroburos Mouse pad: Golaithus Extended Speed edition Gamepad: Orbweaver Controllers: Wireless Xbox 360 Controller, Razer Hydra 
System: Razer Edge Mouse: Razer Orochi Mouse pad: Razer Vespula Controlers: Razer Sabertooth (2 pcs.) Headset: Razer Blackshark Speakers: Razer Ferox What can I say, I'm a huge fan of Razer.  :D

Yeah, an SSD would make a huge difference, not only in boot time but also in loading times of often used programs and big files (if you put 'm onto the SSD). And personally I would go for the Samsung if I had to choose

Well I am quite impatient so I see your point. And you chose Samsung as they make their own SSD components and are highly reliable am I right?

The Samsung 840 is better. Also, going from an hdd to an ssd may be the most noticeable upgrade you can do--especially since you're coming from 5400 rpm drives.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Yes, yes and yes.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

I personally haven't tried the Crucial M4 before. 

Stick with the 840 in my option. 

I don't know about that 8GB difference. It is probably just a matter of binary and decimal counting although I don't know for sure. If anybody knows, please tell me.

Wi RoZ

Both Samsung and Crucial make great drives so either one you choose is a great choice. (I own both SSD brands)

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Yes, yes and yes.

can't help but notice that Shakugan no Shana gif

can't help but notice that Shakugan no Shana gif

Yup Shakugan no Shana is awesome! :)

Spoiler

-

Well I am quite impatient so I see your point. And you chose Samsung as they make their own SSD components and are highly reliable am I right?

Yup, you're right

Wi RoZ

I personally haven't tried the Crucial M4 before.

Stick with the 840 in my option.

I shall take your word for it =)

Yup Shakugan no Shana is awesome! :)

Although the 3rd season... I fell asleep a lot during it =|

Although the 3rd season... I fell asleep a lot during it =|

Haha, I personally liked all 3 seasons but I can understand why you didn't like the 3rd one so much since it became more of a love story.

Spoiler

-

Haha, I personally liked all 3 seasons but I can understand why you didn't like the 3rd one so much since it became more of a love story.

Oh I don't mind the love aspect, it was just a tad bit monotonous.

And somehow, from SSDs to anime? I love this world haha

Oh I don't mind the love aspect, it was just a tad bit monotonous.

And somehow, from SSDs to anime? I love this world haha

That's why I love this forum :)  We all are very similar as far as what we like to watch and do outside of tech stuff ^_^

Spoiler

-

I don't know about that 8GB difference. It is probably just a matter of binary and decimal counting although I don't know for sure. If anybody knows, please tell me.

It is not, there really is an 8GB difference.  It depends on how the SSD vendor writes the firmware.  SandForce drives for example have the option of allocating a percentage of the SSD's space to over-provisioning, which many vendors do (which is why most SandForce drives are 120GB, 240GB, etc.) however some manufacturers would rather allocate all the space to storage instead, which is why ADATA's XPG SandForce drive has capacities of 128GB, 256GB, etc.)  In both cases the drives are measured in orders of magnitude of 1000, not 1024, so both will be different values in Windows. (120GB becomes 111GiB, and 128GB becomes 119GiB).

Side note, there are usually much better options than the Samsung 840 around the same price.  Kingston V300 for example.  Speeds are way better, durability is far better, quality is great.  There really is not much reason to get the 840 and I would not advise it.

It is not, there really is an 8GB difference.  It depends on how the SSD vendor writes the firmware.  SandForce drives for example have the option of allocating a percentage of the SSD's space to over-provisioning, which many vendors do (which is why most SandForce drives are 120GB, 240GB, etc.) however some manufacturers would rather allocate all the space to storage instead, which is why ADATA's XPG SandForce drive has capacities of 128GB, 256GB, etc.)  In both cases the drives are measured in orders of magnitude of 1000, not 1024, so both will be different values in Windows. (120GB becomes 111GiB, and 128GB becomes 119GiB).

Side note, there are usually much better options than the Samsung 840 around the same price.  Kingston V300 for example.  Speeds are way better, durability is far better, quality is great.  There really is not much reason to get the 840 and I would not advise it.

Many thanks for the information! About the sidenote, you're right. I just made a decision between the Samsung and the Corsair, instead of giving some proper advice. My fault. 

Wi RoZ

Many thanks for the information! About the sidenote, you're right. I just made a decision between the Samsung and the Corsair, instead of giving some proper advice. My fault. 

No problem.  The side note was just my input on the responses in the thread in general, not really directed at you in particular.

I can guarantee you that both SSDs have the same amount of storage on board. In the Samsung one, however, 8GB is reserved for later use. This way they can make the drive more reliable and make it last longer ;)

--EDIT--

Apparantly Glenwing already covered this angle :)

Also: +1 on his V300 recommendation. I have been running numerous Kingston SSDs (like 5 or 6) for a couple of years now and not a single one of them has ever given me any trouble. I can only suspect the V300 is more of that awesomeness :)

Edited by MG2R