would using a laptop cooling fan/pad be effective in cooling an xbox360

themaniac

Title says it all

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

...... i mean i would clean the dust out first, and i guess.... it would help little...but its just not designed well.....Xboxs never were designed well....

does your xbox 360 heat up enough to make lots of noise?

how long have you had it? dust build up is probably pretty bad. 

if the cooling pad is blowing in a intake, it will help. if its blowing into a exaust it will hurt

...... i mean i would clean the dust out first, and i guess.... it would help little...but its just not designed well.....Xboxs never were designed well....

well would it work?
Spoiler

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

what cooling pad @Kyuubixchidori makes a good point

its some random dual fan gearhead one
Spoiler

does your xbox 360 heat up enough to make lots of noise?

how long have you had it? dust build up is probably pretty bad. 

if the cooling pad is blowing in a intake, it will help. if its blowing into a exaust it will hurt

I've had it since cod mw3 came out and which vent is the intake and exhaust
Spoiler

If it's one of the older ones (White or Elite) then you're better off giving it a clean through and either modding the two exhaust fans to run at 12v (Or add in a variable resistor for control), or get some cheap PC fans that are the same height as the xbox, mod them to run off USB, and have them pushing air into the bottom of thr console to help out airflow.

If it's one of the new ones, make sure it has enough ventilation and give it a good clean, they run hot but shouldn't overheat even when cramped in with little airflow

LTT's fastest Valley 970, slowest Valley Basic and Extreme HD scores

Desktop || CPU - i5 4690k || Motherboard - ASUS Gryphon Z97 || RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz || GPU - Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 *Cough* 3.5GB || Case - Fractal Design Define R5 || HDD - Seagate Barracuda 160GB || PSU - Corsair AX760

If it's one of the older ones (White or Elite) then you're better off giving it a clean through and either modding the two exhaust fans to run at 12v (Or add in a variable resistor for control), or get some cheap PC fans that are the same height as the xbox, mod them to run off USB, and have them pushing air into the bottom of thr console to help out airflow.

If it's one of the new ones, make sure it has enough ventilation and give it a good clean, they run hot but shouldn't overheat even when cramped in with little airflow

not sure if its a new or old one but its the mw3 edition if that help
Spoiler

not sure if its a new or old one but its the mw3 edition if that help

That does help a lot. The MW3 edition is the newer "Slim" model, completely re-did the internals to stop overheating and RRODs that plagued the old "Fat" Xbox 360s.

Best bet would be to pull it apart and give the heatsink a good clean through, make sure nothing is blocking the single vent on top. I can't remember the airflow setup of the slim so I couldn't say where fans would be best put, but a good clean should sort it out.

Desktop || CPU - i5 4690k || Motherboard - ASUS Gryphon Z97 || RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz || GPU - Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 *Cough* 3.5GB || Case - Fractal Design Define R5 || HDD - Seagate Barracuda 160GB || PSU - Corsair AX760

That does help a lot. The MW3 edition is the newer "Slim" model, completely re-did the internals to stop overheating and RRODs that plagued the old "Fat" Xbox 360s.

Best bet would be to pull it apart and give the heatsink a good clean through, make sure nothing is blocking the single vent on top. I can't remember the airflow setup of the slim so I couldn't say where fans would be best put, but a good clean should sort it out.

I wouldn't get halfway before my dad yells at me for taking it apart to clean it even if I told him that I was just cleaning it he would still think I would break it maybe I will next week if my alarm works than I will be able to in the morning because my dad will be at work
Spoiler

I wouldn't get halfway before my dad yells at me for taking it apart to clean it even if I told him that I was just cleaning it he would still think I would break it maybe I will next week if my alarm works than I will be able to in the morning because my dad will be at work

If you can't pull it apart, go buy a can of compressed air and blow down into the vent on the top in short bursts, since you can't hold the fan still, don't keep blowing for too long or you might over speed the fan and damage it. Give the top and bottom vents a good blow too, that should help the temperatures a bit.

If you can't pull it apart, go buy a can of compressed air and blow down into the vent on the top in short bursts, since you can't hold the fan still, don't keep blowing for too long or you might over speed the fan and damage it. Give the top and bottom vents a good blow too, that should help the temperatures a bit.

OK would using a big compresser be fine
Spoiler

OK would using a big compresser be fine

If you turn down the PSI then it'll be better than a can of compressed air. I'm not sure what you want but a quick google will turn up with what you need

If you turn down the PSI then it'll be better than a can of compressed air. I'm not sure what you want but a quick google will turn up with what you need

ok
Spoiler