New Corsair SP120 fans, screws from Home Depot, what do you think?

Counter-Strike Player

Hi, first I'd like say this is a 'Murican post so be prepared for USD, although CAD is roughly the same anyway with higher shipping so w/e. :)

So I've got a Corsair H60, a single 120mm rad with only 1 included SP fan, and I've attached a cheapo $5 coolermaster fan (and stealing 2 screws in the process, lol) so it's in a "mostly" push-pull config, but now I figure I should just buy a twin-pack of the SP120 high performance fans. The quiet versions are just as expensive so I figure just get the high performance ones. I obviously need the long screws (not included) as well so I'm planning a Home Depot trip soon. Some cancerous joker with only 3 reviews is trying to price-gouge the Corsair screw kit on Amazon :angry: and no one else sells them online. So, here's the DIY option price breakdown:

2x SP120 high-performance fans -- $28.00 (when they get back in stock on Amazon)

4x "6 x 32 x 1 1/4" screws (here's an idea what they look like on frozencpu.com, although I wouldn't dream of ordering from there considering their recent drama.) -- $2.00

4x #6 Flat washers, Stainless steel 18-8 (it would be nice to get anti-vibration/"finishing" washers but who knows if Home Depot is going to carry those -- $0.20

-----------------------------------------------------

Grand total: $30.20

I could probably get away with steel washers since those fans have rubber screw thread holes (which I've heard can be tricky if you don't pre-thread them first.) My compromise with the 35dBA is knowing that the quieter ones are still the same money for lesser airflow and the AF fans give less static pressure for when I might want to upgrade later to a dual-120mm rad.

Thoughts?

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

If memory serves me correctly, the H60 doesn't benefit too much from push-pull.  It would be a more effective use of cash to return the H60 (if you can) and take the refunded money along with the $30 you're willing to spend on fans and get a real upgrade.

Titan: Intel Core i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Crucial Ballistix Sport 4x4GB DDR4-2400 | ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970 | OCZ Arc 100 2x256GB in RAID 0 | Seagate Barracuda 2x2TB in RAID 1

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium Window | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | ASUS BW-12B1ST

If memory serves me correctly, the H60 doesn't benefit too much from push-pull.  It would be a more effective use of cash to return the H60 (if you can) and take the refunded money along with the $30 you're willing to spend on fans and get a real upgrade.

Well, that's not gonna happen since I bought the H60 about 1.5 years ago on sale for $45. The only "real" upgrade I'd be interested in is something like a Corsair H100i, which runs for $90 minimum with less than desirable fans anyway. I *do* have a XIGMATEK Dark Knight II in pieces in a box somewhere that I actually bought like 4 years ago and never actually got around to installing it (lol), but it's likely going to perform just as good as the H60 anyway. Plus I need new AS5 paste, mine is about 6 years old and probably is "expired" by now  :D  

Check out what's in my Amazon cart right now, not even including the fans lawl:

CTjhWUF.png

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

You know I just realized that compressed air might be a good single item for a Home Depot trip. Something you can't buy practically online like some items you only need a small amount of.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

I doubt you'd see a performance increase by switching the fans, I'd say just leave it alone.

You're not going to see a performance difference switching out the fan for an SP120. About the only difference between the SP120 and what comes with the H60 is the rubber on the fan screw holes. Replacing the thermal compound, on the other hand, will yield some temperature gain.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

Oh myyyyyyyyyyyy, someone had fun Saturday morning at Home Depot.

I'll add another pic once my phone gets done charging, we have a screw and washer haul boise! Neoprene -- Illuminati confirmed!

Funny stories ensue when you ask for "cpu thermal paste" to an employee. After not finding pan head screws, another employee told me that round=pan head screws, kek. I took their word for it like a moronic idiot though, god I'm stupid :angry:. Also, my face was kinda  :( when they didn't have an anti-static wrist strap.

Stay tuned boys.

post-38705-0-79944300-1427562291_thumb.j

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Also forgot to mention, the fans are ordered -- from free, week-long shipping thanks to Newegg. #UMadMyLocalPostOffice #huehue

post-38705-0-60658300-1427563280.png

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

As promised, back with you guys for an update. My ghetto "10-foot mod" is now complete (thanks to Home Depot) and now we wait for the SP fans to arrive.

First, the haul. When in doubt, buy all sizes and materials right? Also the neoprene was too OP for the camera and gave off a nice shine. At this point I was excited to see how it could perform (in terms of less noise/vibration) over the stainless-steel washers. Also, zinc bc yolo:

ycYbSv6.jpg

Next, in the back I got the missing 2 stainless steel screws/washers installed. Really digging the black/silver theme so I might keep this configuration:

K14LR7d.jpg

Next up, I tried installing the neoprene washers instead. However, as you will see, they were unfortunately a disappointment. They were just too soft and it seemed like the screw head was just going to dig/sandwich itself too far into the material and probably cause problems. Thanks to the female employees at Home Depot who claimed that "round head" screws = "pan head" screws kek. ;)  Also, my pc is powered up in this pic so please forgive the smoke. A little smokiness is normal considering all the heat being dissipated, right? Even feels a little "spooky" in this pic haha:

m76IhuN.jpg

At some time later, my camera broke...weird right? So I took out my oil panting canvas and tried my best to paint what's currently going on inside my case. Not my best work but w/e. That's why it took longer than normal to get this update out.

fBiCPXg.jpg

That's it, folks. Be sure to stay subscribed as Thurday is scheduled ETA of my new SP fans. Hopefully my camera will be working by then as it's currently in the shop being repaired. :) Dose finicky dslr's doe.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

New SP120 fans (finally) came and just got done installing them. Take a look at the load temps, we're talking about a good 14c improvement here:

3LwcNo5.png

Also, found good use for the neoprene washers thanks to the included proper pan-head screws provided by Corsair in the package -- I repositioned the other 2 fans as intakes and the SP120 push-pull fans as intakes as well. Finally have positive pressure in this case when I've been running forever in negative mode. Thank Allah I had bought the 1.5" screws as well from Home Depot bc the 1.25" screws would be too short considering I also placed a Silverstone filter for the SP120 intakes (I don't buy the "radiator serving as air filter" claim.)

More pics/info coming later if I feel like it. :lol: Dem naysayers doe...best $28 I've spent this year for sure.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν