Intel I7 4790K - A Newcomer first impression.

HOOOOOLLLYYY SHHIIIITTTT!!

HOW...................!!

DO.....................!!!!

I........................!!!

STOP...............!!!

THIS.................1!!

THING..............!!!!

WHERE'S DA BREAK!? NO NO NO, STAPH.......  SHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!........................... (warp's outside our dimension)

On a serious note.

Hello you sexy people with your sexy rigs. Let me just thank you from the start for talking me into going Intel. In one of my previous post's i was thinking about switching from my Phenom X6 to 8350 and you guys persuade me, not to do so. Couple of members gave me links to interesting lectures and i finally done it.

My first Intel in the past 8 years (first i had was Intel dual core E-something) Now i feel like Rick Moranis goin ludicrous speed. Buying the FX8350 would be a total waste of money and performance. It's so much smaller, cooler, faster. Everything got so buttery smooth i can't get use to it. Framerate's got bumped like hell.

Im talking about 20fps minimum. Never goes down below 65, and that's stock speed. I have switched my Dark Rock 2 cooler to Dark Rock PRO 2 twin tower and on 4.4 i got 61C (prime95) Marvelous piece of hardware, i am stunned. Now i see how AMD poorly does in the field of cpu horsepower. They're not even trying anymore. I feel that if i would go with 4690K i would still tear amd new asshole performance wise. Later down the road i will re-do some benchmarks comparing the Phenom X6/4.0 to this I7 on stock. For shizzle and SCIENCE!

Thank you once again for making me do it. INTEL POWA!

Regards Andrew.

Welcome to the blue side :)

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

xeon e5-2699 and tesla k80 combo masterrace

lololololololol.

We're all dying slowly

Pentium G3258 3.2 ghz / ECS z97 pk MOBO / Intel Stock Cooler / R9 290 DD / Corsair Carbide Air 240 / 4GB mushkin stealth ram at 1600 / XFX 650W 80+ gold PSU / Kingston v300 240GB drive W/300GB seagate drive / HP x2301 / Gateway KB / Monoprice GM

Yeah the 4690K is really decent too. I can play BF4 multiplayer at 110 fps MINIMUM. :)

The lower cache latency and higher single-threaded performance makes a huge difference for games, even those that use many cores.

Game on :)

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

HOOOOOLLLYYY SHHIIIITTTT!!

Later down the road i will re-do some benchmarks comparing the Phenom X6/4.0 to this I7 on stock. For shizzle and SCIENCE!

Thank you once again for making me do it. INTEL POWA!

Regards Andrew.

:)

Also...if you can, cos it'd be fun.

If you know how,...

Declock your Intel part to the point it gets the same performance as the AMD counterpart..

I'd like to know where the Intel quadcore ends up being Mhz wise..

If your on W7, this is SUPER easy, find power profiles in control panel, click high performance, click advanced settings,.. find Processor management

MIN/MAX Processor state are two values to tweak.

Leave MIN at 0, set Max to 1% for the declock, to raise it up slightly if its not fast enough to compete, change the max up a tad.

This is only for W7, I don't think those values exist on W8, another program may be needed to do this experiment if your still willing to do so.

(If you wanna use the bios to do declocking, leave everything as it is, just change the multiplier down and reboot to do the tests, go back to bios and set back to original setting to go back to stock or your oc)

Either way, your happy with your PC and getting 100% efficient performance from it.

Enjoy.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

:)

Also...if you can, cos it'd be fun.

If you know how,...

Declock your Intel part to the point it gets the same performance as the AMD counterpart..

I'd like to know where the Intel quadcore ends up being Mhz wise..

If your on W7, this is SUPER easy, find power profiles in control panel, click high performance, click advanced settings,.. find Processor management

MIN/MAX Processor state are two values to tweak.

Leave MIN at 0, set Max to 1% for the declock, to raise it up slightly if its not fast enough to compete, change the max up a tad.

This is only for W7, I don't think those values exist on W8, another program may be needed to do this experiment if your still willing to do so.

Either way, your happy with your PC and getting 100% efficient performance from it.

Enjoy.

~2.1ghz assuming the fx is running 4 cores @3500mhz from testing I did a while ago.

~2.1ghz assuming the fx is running 4 cores @3500mhz from testing I did a while ago.

Ahh... I have always wondered...

Thanks man.

OP - NVM my request,...unless you wanna do it anyway :)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

i went from a 8350 at 4.6ghz to a 4790K and was blown away but the speed of it and the fact it was barely using any power compared to the 8350

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER