GPU not running at 100%?

BobVader

Hello everyone, this is my first time on here and im in need of a little help.

It seems that in a lot of games, ie, Borderlands 2, L4D2, Sleeping Dogs, etc. My GPUs do not go to 100% usage. I have 2 r9 270x in crossfire.

Other games that i play will use all 100% and have usage up over 3gb, and i get great FPS in those games, but in the games that dont run the GPU at 100%, i get very low FPS and it only uses around 800mb from the cards.

I guess my question is how can I make sure the GPUs run at full bore so i can get the best performance

Specs:

CPU- AMD FX-4300

GPU- Radeon R9 270x (x2) (2GB each)

If it is the CPU then why am i getting Over 100 FPS in games like Tomb Raider, maxed out, but i cant run borderlands 2 with high FPS?

If it is the CPU then why am i getting Over 100 FPS in games like Tomb Raider, maxed out, but i cant run borderlands 2 with high FPS?

Because games are all made differently, by different people, with different methods, on different engines.

Basically.. not all games are equal in their requirements.

Some are CPU heavy, yet only use 1-2 cores to do the work (silly I know), other games use 4 cores or more...

(Don't think this thread is bashing all FX owners,that's the wrong approach,. some of the content was made BY FX owners to help future users not make mistakes in their choices)

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/page-5#entry3621417

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Tomb Raider requires barely any CPU power at all, while a game like Borderlands 2 does. I wouldn't be surprised if your FX4300 bottlenecked a SINGLE 270x in the majority of games that require CPU horsepower, it's just not a strong CPU. I recommend you get at least an i5-4440 if you can. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

what would you guys recommend for the best "bang for your buck" CPU? im on a budget but could maybe spend 200

X4 860k is a great CPU for that budget and a new mobo

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600x | GPU GIGABYTE GTX 1070ti WINDFORCE | MOBO ASUS Prime X570-P | MEMORY XPG Spectrix 2x8GB 3200MHz  | PSU OCZ Zx 850W | CASE NZXT H440

what would you guys recommend for the best "bang for your buck" CPU? im on a budget but could maybe spend 200

Shouldn't be too hard to find some combo deal on the internet somewhere around $200 for an i5, hell even an i3 would beat the FX cpu's in Gaming, but I'd rather propose an i5 over an i3, not that the i3 is a slouch, it's quite powerful.

@Faceman I don't know which motherboard is best on the lesser priced stuff, i3+What mobo?

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

The main issue is going to be finding a motherboard that runs two GPUS at 8x/8x. You will have to spend ~$100 to get one of these mobos, then another $165+ for an i5.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

the mobo i have now is a Gigabyte 970A-DS3P

Shouldn't be too hard to find some combo deal on the internet somewhere around $200 for an i5, hell even an i3 would beat the FX cpu's in Gaming, but I'd rather propose an i5 over an i3, not that the i3 is a slouch, it's quite powerful.

@Faceman I don't know which motherboard is best on the lesser priced stuff, i3+What mobo?

If you live near MicroCenter, I got a 4690k and a Z97 there for 200 last week. 

Ain't nobody got time fo' signatures

You could try overclocking to see if that helps, and in the games that you get bad performance, try using only 1 gpu, you'll probably get better performance, multi gpu setups are heavy on the cpu.

i have the CPU OCed up to 4.3 Ghz on boot but i can get it up to 4.7 Ghz stable