WD Blue/Red/Green 1TB ?

Duzzaaaa

Hey everyone,

A little unsure on which colour WD HDD to get. I will also have a 120GB Kingston SSD in my planned build. Quiet is important, but I don't want to lose too much on the performance, and i'm running on a tight budget

From what I've read, Green seems the best one for me, but is it worth spending an extra £7 ($11) to get the Red? Not entirely sure on the difference between the two except that Red is slightly faster (about 15%). But with the SSD, the speed might not be such an important factor. Alternatively, should I just stick with the mainstream Blue and accept the 37dB that it produces compared to the sub 30dB that the Green/Red drives produce?

Blue for general Storage or if you ever want a NAS go with RED or Green for Mass on PC Storage

Because he had a hard drive.

blue is for every day drives

green is for low speed dependent data (movies etc)

red is for raid/nas configs

Might as well go with the red? For £7, %15 of time is better (even with an SSD which will only have your OS on it I guess)? Depends what you will use it for as well EG Raid? Or whatever.

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

Might as well go with the red? For £7, %15 of time is better (even with an SSD which will only have your OS on it I guess)? Depends what you will use it for as well EG Raid? Or whatever.

Don't really know much about RAID or NAS so I assume i won't be needing those. 37dB vs 27dB is quite a substanial difference though

yeah thats very quiet, honestly you won't notice that much if you've got it in a case, the fans tend to make more noise.

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

yeah thats very quiet, honestly you won't notice that much if you've got it in a case, the fans tend to make more noise.

Getting a Hyper 212 EVO for the CPU cooler and will hopefully be turning the case fan speed down a bit to keep the build quieter. I have bought the Sharkoon VG4-W Blue case, any ideas on the dB level for the case fans on that?

Don't really know much about RAID or NAS so I assume i won't be needing those. 37dB vs 27dB is quite a substanial difference though

Well, I just bought a 1TB Blue for my system. But I also put one in my brothers about 5 months ago and it seems fine. 

- Still up to you which one you want to go for. 

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

Well, I just bought a 1TB Blue for my system. But I also put one in my brothers about 5 months ago and it seems fine. 

- Still up to you which one you want to go for. 

How noisy is it?

How noisy is it?

If you put your ear to the case about 1mm away you could hear it slightly (or that could be something else but sounds like a Hard Drive :lol: ) but other than that, it is kinda silent. 

Hi there @Duzzaaaa!

If you intend to use it as a secondary stand-alone storage location and you're not going to run apps from the drive, then I would recommend the Green drive because it's quiet, cool operational and energy efficient. As for WD Red, it will be my choice if it's about RAID setups or NAS because it has the necessary build-in features for such environment.

In case you intend to run programs from the HDD as well as, then Blue will suit better since it's meant for everyday computing usage.

Hope this helps.

Cheers! :)

If this post helped you, please like and choose it as a best answer.   :)
http://www.wdc.com/en/

Hi there @Duzzaaaa!

If you intend to use it as a secondary stand-alone storage location and you're not going to run apps from the drive, then I would recommend the Green drive because it's quiet, cool operational and energy efficient. As for WD Red, it will be my choice if it's about RAID setups or NAS because it has the necessary build-in features for such environment.

In case you intend to run programs from the HDD as well as, then Blue will suit better since it's meant for everyday computing usage.

Hope this helps.

Cheers! :)

the 120GB SSD will store quite a bit of stuff, but there will be obvious overflow. Just worried about the noise level of the Blue compared to the quieter, more energy-efficient Green version

the 120GB SSD will store quite a bit of stuff, but there will be obvious overflow. Just worried about the noise level of the Blue compared to the quieter, more energy-efficient Green version

Indeed WD Blue is noisier compared to the Green drive, but the noise level of the first one could not be considered loud (or at least in my opinion) - 29/30 dB for 1TB Blue and 21/24 dB for 1TB WD Green.

Indeed WD Blue is noisier compared to the Green drive, but the noise level of the first one could not be considered loud (or at least in my opinion) - 29/30 dB for 1TB Blue and 21/24 dB for 1TB WD Green.

http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/3550/12/western-digital-red-1tb--2tb--3tb-review-special-nas-disks-noise-levels

37 dB at full load...this is loud, no?

30 dB is almost inaudible for human ear - basically a whisper from a normal conversation is approximately around 60 dB, and this is twice as much as the sound of the drive.

30 dB is almost inaudible for human ear - basically a whisper from a normal conversation is approximately around 60 dB, and this is twice as much as the sound of the drive.

isnt dB a logerithmic measurment so 60dB be alot louder then 30dB?

I know blacks are more expensive but if your going to use it alot I would go with them.

they  also come with a longer warrenty and run faster

Its all about those volumetric clouds

Stay away from the greens... :( any color but the green.

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)