Got me a new Monitor LG 29um55 big upgrade from a 32" hdtv.

danjal

I posted a few days ago for some help gettign a new monitor, I was using an older Sanyo 32" hdtv (1360x768) and the picture quality was really gettting to me as I am aging and my eyes getting worse, I was also noticing more eye fatigue after some use..... I was wanting to go to a 32" wqhd monitor to match the size of the old 32" hdtv but the choices are kind of slim for the budget I had...

After researching a couple days, I found the 32" wqhd monitors in that price range all had screen flickering issues after a short period of gaming time,So I got to talking to a long time pc gaming friend and he suggested me try a 29" 21:9 monitor (2560x1080)... After looking around I decided to stay with 5 brands Samsung, LG and Asus,ACER and AOC..  After trimming the fat off those five, I narrowed it to LG, Samsung and Asus.. Still even narrowing it down to 3 there are a lot of choices between them...  I was scouring the internet for any information I could come up with..  Locally I dont have a place I can physically go to to look at monitors so its basically a shot in the dark picking one, especially relying on the internet you dont know whats true or not..

After researching for a couple days I found out to go to a uhd monitor my single r290 more than likely wouldnt handle it and I didnt want to spend the money on another gpu to go up to an uhd monitor, then that got me speculating the single r290 would probably be at its top end at the 2560x1440.. So I decided to go with the 29inch 21:9 monitors..

After looking around on the net I was liking what I was hearing about the LG and Asus monitors.. I happened to stop in Best Buy after a Dr. appointment yesterday and they had an older model LG 29um55 monitor hooked up and on display so I got to see it actually running, they also had a Samsung U28d590 ($600)running beside it..Fact be told, after seeing the picture quality on the LG and the price really got me interested in the older model LG monitor.. Best Buy had them marked at $400, which I knew this was an older model after hours of scouring on youtube and the internet..   So I got a sales guy over there and told him I wanted one, he went to grab one and they had gotten one returned and had it as an open box sale and it was marked $350. The associate said they garauntee them to be in 100% working order and everything in them and to be exactly liek you would be buying a new one..  After talking with him, he said there was a 14 day satisfasction garauntee return policy, if anythign was wrong with it I can return it and get my money back..  So after thinking about I decided to go with the open box unit and the manager knocked another $10 off the price but thats as low as he would go..

So I ended up getting the LG 29um55 for $364.50 out the door.. I showed them a Newegg add and they beat their price...

After getting home and moving the sanyo 32" hdtv out of the way and hooking up the new monitor and turning it on, all I can say is I wish I would have done this so much sooner..  The picture quality is soooooooo much better, so much easier on the eyes.   I love this monitor, even though its an older model the blacks are black and the whites are nice and soft, not any glaring at all....   I did run into a problem though, the monitor didnt come with a Display Port cable so I'm running it with an hdmi cable for now.  I ordered a Dport cable which adds another $9 to the cost..

Gaming its fantastic, I'm not a hardcore gamer, I would rate myself as an aging hardcore casual gamer and general web user, facebook and message forums and such..

After gettign the monitor I found out this monitor doesnt have the dvi port on it, its not an issue for me as I'll run Dport anyhow, What I did like is it runs at 75hz at full res.. The performance I gained coming from the 32"hdtv is enormouos and very noticable..  So far I am very satisfied with the purchase, maybe later this year I'll work on getting another r290 and going up to a UHD monitor, maybe by then the prices will come down to realistic numbers..

I included some screenshots from Warthunder, forgot to get some from bf4 but I have to say the games look amazing now..

The first screen shot is from the old 32" hdtv, the others are on the new LG29um55 running on the hdmi cable.. game settings are on the games default medium settings..  The last photo is a snippet of the Linustechtips Display forum.

post-194690-0-58541800-1425511493_thumb.

post-194690-0-64997600-1425511506_thumb.

post-194690-0-43398000-1425511513_thumb.

post-194690-0-87922600-1425511522_thumb.

post-194690-0-46177500-1425512909_thumb.

CPU:I5-6600k@4.5ghz/AMD FX8350 CPU Cooler:Croyrig H5u/CM Hyper 212evo GPU:Sapphire Nitro Fury/MSI R290 Gamer Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-Z170x Gaming5/Gigabyte 990fxa ud3 Memory:16g Gskillddr4 3000/16gb Gskill Ripjaws DDR2400 HardDrives:Samsung 850evo m.2 250gig/Samsung 850 Pro 120gig, WD 1tb Black Monitor: LG29um55

Why is it when you post pictures/screenshots they arent anywhere near as good as the actual screenshot? I'm guessing the forum software is resampling them?

CPU:I5-6600k@4.5ghz/AMD FX8350 CPU Cooler:Croyrig H5u/CM Hyper 212evo GPU:Sapphire Nitro Fury/MSI R290 Gamer Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-Z170x Gaming5/Gigabyte 990fxa ud3 Memory:16g Gskillddr4 3000/16gb Gskill Ripjaws DDR2400 HardDrives:Samsung 850evo m.2 250gig/Samsung 850 Pro 120gig, WD 1tb Black Monitor: LG29um55