RAID help

TheIcedCanadian

Hi,

I was wondering if I bought a 500gb ssd and a 250gb ssd of the same brand, would I be able to raid them even though they are different drive sizes - specifically 840 evos

Thanks

Hi,

I was wondering if I bought a 500gb ssd and a 250gb ssd of the same brand, would I be able to raid them even though they are different drive sizes - specifically 840 evos

Thanks

No. They have to be the exact same drives of the same sizes.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

you would be wasting 250GB of space

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Hi there @TheIcedCanadian!

It can be done, however the raid size is restricted to the smallest drive in the array. It's generally frowned upon to use different drive types, let alone sizes for RAID, but it can be done if you don't mind sacrificing the extra space on your larger drive to do it.

Cheers! :)

If this post helped you, please like and choose it as a best answer.   :)
http://www.wdc.com/en/

Not sure if it's good for striped RAID since it might not be as fast if the drives don't match (although that's just a guess)

But it is possible, and if you wanted one as a mirror it could be a good idea if you want a mirror more than you need the space (the total space will default to the size of the smallest hard drive).

People used to "short-stroke" mechanical hard drives for more speed. I guess it all comes down to what you have at hand and what you need.

It's possible you might be able to jbod, if you wanted to, for the space, but again it comes down to your particular circumstances.

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2