2 SSD Raid 1 volumes?

Spaunn

Hey guys! I'll get right to the point... Assuming money is not an issue and assuming I will already have a G-skill PCI-e SSD for my OS and important software, would you guys think that having two RAID 1, 1TB SSD volumes (totalling 4GB, but effectively 2) set up is a practical approach to general data storage?

All of which will then be periodically backed up HDDs remotely anyway just in case.

Again, the money doesn't concern me here, I'm just looking for the best speeds possible. :)

And for those interested, my current shopping list can be found here: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/mHf9P6 (Note: The graphics cards will only be stock speed, even though it's stated otherwise)

SNIP

If you have 4 drives why not just go for raid 10

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

That my good friends..... Is a might fine idea... xD Cheers! haha

But if have a total of 4TB of storage, what effective storage does that leave me with? 1 or 2 TB?

That my good friends..... Is a might fine idea... xD Cheers! haha

But if have a total of 4TB of storage, what effective storage does that leave me with? 1 or 2 TB?

All in a single RAID 1: 1TB

All in a RAID 10: 2TB

All in a single RAID 0: 4TB

That said, this sounds like a terrible idea. Unless you are doing something extremely IO intensive like editing 4k video, you won't notice the speed boost in day to day work.  I also noticed you have all EVOs.  You would probably get the same performance with better lifetime if you got 2 1TB 850 Pro and used them as normal drives instead of RAID 10 840 EVOs.  The Pros are much faster and have way more read/write cycles than the EVOs

Fractal Design Define R5 | i7-4790k | Corsair H80 | Asus Z97-Pro WiFi | 2 x EVGA GTX 970 SSC+ | 16GB G.Skill Sniper@1866MHz | Samsung 840 Evo 256 GB | 1TB + 750GB drives | EVGA 750W G2 | 27" BenQ IPS 1440p@60Hz | Windows 10