Windows 8 Password recovery

Albatross
Go to solution Solved by SIGSEGV,

Boot into ubuntu and navigate your windows partition, go to /Windows/System32/ then go to the file 'sethc.exe' and rename it to something random, then copy CMD.exe, paste it and name it 'sethc.exe'. Restart and boot into windows and on the login screen hit shift 5 times, congrats, you now have super user and can reset your password using the command prompt.

Hiya

Trying to access a Windows 8.1 laptop I haven't in a long time. I can't remember the password because it was insanely long. I have no disc as it was a download file so that option is not available for me. I tried Ophcrack but all but text mode gives me a black screen. In text mode it states "Did not find the requested tables (s)/media/sr0/tables/vista_proba_free_table0.bin" and then says it put the passwords into "cat /tmp/ophcrack.txt", but I cannot access those files (I don't know how, deletes after reboot). I also tried using a Ubuntu LiveCD and then installing chntpw but that won't work, unable to locate package.

So here I am...do any of you know how to recovery the password without a disk or emailing Microsoft for assistance? Is there a software I can use?

Thanks!

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I think you have no other choice but to contact Microsoft.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

The software you would have to use is illegal in the US because it falls under "malware" since it would have to guess passwords. While it is easy to code the program yourself, I wouldn't suggest it because if it ever "accidentally" leaked onto the interwebs you would be looking at major jail time/$100000 fines.

Here's what I suggest: put in a new HDD and install Ubuntu, recover all the files you want, and reinstall windows.

Atom14 [Corsair] i5-4690K | Corsair H110i GT | MSI Z97S SLI Krait | 16 GB Team Group DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB X2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 980Ti

Corsair KXX RGB Keyboard Cover Mod Make your own using my templates!

I think you have no other choice but to contact Microsoft.

Don't you dare. You will jinx it. :(

The software you would have to use is illegal in the US because it falls under "malware" since it would have to guess passwords. While it is easy to code the program yourself, I wouldn't suggest it because if it ever "accidentally" leaked onto the interwebs you would be looking at major jail time/$100000 fines.

Here's what I suggest: put in a new HDD and install Ubuntu, recover all the files you want, and reinstall windows.

Oh.

Is it possible to download a 8.1 ISO and use it to recovery my password then? Reinstalling is not an option.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I'm not sure if a USB would work, but I've used discs in the past and they work fine.

Go ahead and try it.

There's also password reset discs. Last time I used one was 10 years ago, but essentially every windows comp has a "master password" and a password reset disk uses the master key to help unlock the computer. I'm not sure if these are still around though or if they have been phased out.

If you can't find anything, contact MS. When it comes to installing/setting up windows it's really easy to talk with them.

Atom14 [Corsair] i5-4690K | Corsair H110i GT | MSI Z97S SLI Krait | 16 GB Team Group DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB X2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 980Ti

Boot into ubuntu and navigate your windows partition, go to /Windows/System32/ then go to the file 'sethc.exe' and rename it to something random, then copy CMD.exe, paste it and name it 'sethc.exe'. Restart and boot into windows and on the login screen hit shift 5 times, congrats, you now have super user and can reset your password using the command prompt.

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Something else I've seen is using another os (Ubuntu for example) to replace the on-screen keyboard there is on the login screen with the command prompt (you switch the executables in the windows files) and then you can use a command prompt as "SYSTEM" (super admin) and you could change your password using the netuser command.

Edit--beat me to it, thanks :P

This is probably the easiest way^^

I absolutely do not want to contact Microsoft. They always put someone with another language as their native tongue on and I cannot properly understand them. :(

That sounds so simple it seems fake! I'll try it now and tell ya'll how it goes.

I absolutely do not want to contact Microsoft. They always put someone with another language as their native tongue on and I cannot properly understand them. :(

That sounds so simple it seems fake! I'll try it now and tell ya'll how it goes.

ikr, it's such a simple exploit!

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

ikr, it's such a simple exploit!

Okay, did it!

How do I execute the reset though?

edit

nevermind, figured that part out.

It worked! Thank you, I appreciate it! :D

Marked as solved now!