Cutting un-needed PSU Cables

Go to solution Solved by alpenwasser,

I have actually done this, see here for pictures.

Provided you more or less know what you're doing it's quite easy to do. There are,

however, a few things to take into account:

• Obviously, make sure it's off and disconnected.
  • The often mentioned danger of opening a PSU comes from remaining charge which

can still be in the capacitors. If you accidentally touch the contacts on such a

cap you might get a very substantial (and potentially dangerous) shock. It is

therefore paramount to ensure that this does not happen. The easiest way to do

this is to ground the capacitors' contacts before continuing to work on the PSU

once you have opened it. That makes sure they are discharged to ground and rendered

harmless.

• I would recommend putting some heat shrink on the wires you have cut to

prevent them from touching anything and shorting out your PSU (you can cause

fires if this happens, depending on how well built your electric grid is).

• Generally speaking, I would recommend you have some decent knowledge on

electronics before doing this.

• Aside from that there's really nothing magically dangerous about it. After all,

PSU technicians need to work on those things as well, and it's not like they

have some sort of secret spell that neutralizes any potential threat. :lol:

Having said that, if you need to ask whether or not this is a good idea I'm not

sure if you really have the know-how required to do this, but in the end it's

up to you (for example, if you don't know how a capacitor works I would advise

against this). I'm not the kind of guy telling people not to do things that could

be dangerous, I just inform them of the risks and how I would mitigate them. If

you want to do this it's your decision.

Hi,

Not sure if i should post this in with the Mod section or here but i thought i would get an intelligent answer with the PSU Guys.  I have an old PSU that has heaps of cables attacched to it but i only use about 5 of them which leaves 4 spare in the bottom of the case. Can i pull the PSU apart and cut the cables out that i don't need provided i stop them from arking out on the case.

I personally can't see why not as im not using them anyway and cutting them off inside the PSU.  Of coursemaking sure they are not touching anything.

Any reasons why its a dumb thing to do other than i might need the cables later but im pretty sure i would just upgrade that PSU anyway if i had too.

Thanks in advance.

Why not just upgrade? cutting psu cables doesnt seem like a good idea tbh. Might aswell invest in a nice modular psu that will last you the next 10 years or so....hell i lasted on a pentium 4 pc with a 400w power supply for 8 years....im currently searching for a psu myself and have basically decided on the corsair tx750m.

-Anubikai

| i5-4670k at stock until I do a custom WC loop | H80i | Asus Matrix Platinum 7970 at stock until I do a custom WC loop  | MSI Z87 GD65 | 1TB CAVIAR BLACK | 250gb Blue Scorpio | HX750 80 PLUS GOLD modular | 16GB INTEL EXTREME EDITION PATRIOT 1866MHZ | Coolermaster Storm Enforcer with two Red 20cm fans intake and exhaust |

Please dont, high voltages run through those stuff and if the cut wires touch each other, you or the case, something may short out or you may get electrocuted. Esp if this is the first time doing such a thing.  Leave them at the bottom of the case, or to the back of it with some zip ties 

RAWR signature became a bunch of HTML codes

Simple answer, Don't cut it. It's dangerous!

Intel i7-2600K @ 4,5GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 780 w/EKWB Copper Waterblock | Kingston HyperX blu 16GB @ 1600 MHz | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | MSI Z77A-GD65 | CM M1000 Silent Pro | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | BenQ XL2420T 120hz | Logitech G710+ | Razer Deathadder 2013 -

- XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock | XSPC RX360 Radiator | EKWB EK-FC Titan GPU Waterblock -

I have actually done this, see here for pictures.

Provided you more or less know what you're doing it's quite easy to do. There are,

however, a few things to take into account:

• Obviously, make sure it's off and disconnected.
  • The often mentioned danger of opening a PSU comes from remaining charge which

can still be in the capacitors. If you accidentally touch the contacts on such a

cap you might get a very substantial (and potentially dangerous) shock. It is

therefore paramount to ensure that this does not happen. The easiest way to do

this is to ground the capacitors' contacts before continuing to work on the PSU

once you have opened it. That makes sure they are discharged to ground and rendered

harmless.

• I would recommend putting some heat shrink on the wires you have cut to

prevent them from touching anything and shorting out your PSU (you can cause

fires if this happens, depending on how well built your electric grid is).

• Generally speaking, I would recommend you have some decent knowledge on

electronics before doing this.

• Aside from that there's really nothing magically dangerous about it. After all,

PSU technicians need to work on those things as well, and it's not like they

have some sort of secret spell that neutralizes any potential threat. :lol:

Having said that, if you need to ask whether or not this is a good idea I'm not

sure if you really have the know-how required to do this, but in the end it's

up to you (for example, if you don't know how a capacitor works I would advise

against this). I'm not the kind of guy telling people not to do things that could

be dangerous, I just inform them of the risks and how I would mitigate them. If

you want to do this it's your decision.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Thanks for the info alpenwasser. I have basic electronic knowledge and know how capacitors and resistors work. I also know to earth it out. I was merely making sure that you can do it. I havent seen anyone really do it and as its for a server thats in a small case i really didn't want to spend $150aud on a modular power supply then make my own cable lengths as it would get costly. Much rather use the current psu and cut what i don't need off.

Thanks for your help again and will let you know how i go. Unless i am silly and stuff up then i won't be back.

Thanks for the info alpenwasser. I have basic electronic knowledge and know how capacitors and resistors work. I also know to earth it out. I was merely making sure that you can do it. I havent seen anyone really do it and as its for a server thats in a small case i really didn't want to spend $150aud on a modular power supply then make my own cable lengths as it would get costly. Much rather use the current psu and cut what i don't need off.

Thanks for your help again and will let you know how i go. Unless i am silly and stuff up then i won't be back.

Well then best of luck! :)

As a side note, the PSU I did this to has been running smoothly for the past few weeks.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Im assuming you used heat shrink on the ends so the wires can't touch the case.

Thanks again. now i just have to dust off my multimeter and drain some capacitors.

Im assuming you used heat shrink on the ends so the wires can't touch the case.

Yes, that's correct. I just put on some generous heat shrink which extended over the

wire's end for ~10 mm and was gripping on the wire for ~ 15 mm.

Just an article i found about PSU Capacitors and general knowledge.

Its a good read from another forum and thought i should add it here.  But in no way am i responsible for any damage or stupidity if you go along my path of cutting cables.

http://www.overclock.net/a/capacitor-safety-in-power-supplies

Hope you enjoy it the read as it is quite an eye opener.

Just an article i found about PSU Capacitors and general knowledge.

Its a good read from another forum and thought i should add it here.  But in no way am i responsible for any damage or stupidity if you go along my path of cutting cables.

http://www.overclock.net/a/capacitor-safety-in-power-supplies

Hope you enjoy it the read as it is quite an eye opener.

Very nice read, thanks for that!