Custom-Built Computer Desks

I'm sure most of you have seen images of custom-built computer desks where all of the components of the computer are arranged inside the desk and visible underneath tempered glass. Has anyone actually seen these types of desk in person and/or know someone who has built such a desk? I have thought about building my own desk setup in conjunction with my first computer build (I may be biting off more than I can chew, but that's the fun part of a challenge), and when I first saw photos of those custom desks, I just had to have my own.

Does anyone have any insight on the possible drawbacks of placing components in this kind of enclosure? Is there a recommended type of building material (aluminum, wood, steel, etc.)? Are these types of desks gaining in popularity or have they been around for a long time (and I'm only finding recent photos online)? Would you like to have a custom-built desk like this?

I'm sure most of you have seen images of custom-built computer desks where all of the components of the computer are arranged inside the desk and visible underneath tempered glass. Has anyone actually seen these types of desk in person and/or know someone who has built such a desk? I have thought about building my own desk setup in conjunction with my first computer build (I may be biting off more than I can chew, but that's the fun part of a challenge), and when I first saw photos of those custom desks, I just had to have my own.

Does anyone have any insight on the possible drawbacks of placing components in this kind of enclosure? Is there a recommended type of building material (aluminum, wood, steel, etc.)? Are these types of desks gaining in popularity or have they been around for a long time (and I'm only finding recent photos online)? Would you like to have a custom-built desk like this?

these builds are quite nice. but they take quite some time.  I have seen one in person, and its pretty cool. the drawback ? a big box under the desk, unmovable. and it can get hot, so the whole desk gets hot.

it looks cool, but be aware that you need proper cooling solutions, otherwise its gona be a custom built heater.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

The major downside that I see to these desks is the thickness. I like to lean back in my chair every now and then, and with a thick desk it would not allow you to do that without being very awkward.

Just something to keep in mind.

I built one about a month ago and avoided the issue of it being very thick by putting it in a cabinet on the side with a glass top. I built mine out of plyboard as I'm more skilled at using that material.

I have found my temperatures quite good but, bare in mind I'm not overclocking and don't have a PCIe GPU yet.

I have attached my build log below.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/272643-triceratops-desk-completed-with-video/

these builds are quite nice. but they take quite some time.  I have seen one in person, and its pretty cool. the drawback ? a big box under the desk, unmovable. and it can get hot, so the whole desk gets hot.

it looks cool, but be aware that you need proper cooling solutions, otherwise its gona be a custom built heater.

I would imagine the cooling (I would definitely create a custom loop) would be similar to that in a case. I guess it all depends on just how much space one would give to all the components. Most of the desks I have seen online are similar to this: (using the full desk for the build)

http://core0.staticworld.net/images/article/2013/08/l3p-d3sk-100051885-orig.jpg

I never really thought about minimizing the amount of space of the desk to build it like @kingkai112. That could certainly be an option opposed to using the full desk. This may come across the wrong way, but my problem is that I have too many options. I can build with most any material, so it's hard for me to make any design decisions and stick with them. I may be moving soon, so I would definitely wait until I was settled in before I would build something as monstrous as the above image. I even thought about having an acrylic fish tank desk (maybe the guys on that show "Tanked" could build it) and have a sealed compartment just for the computer and have it appear as if those parts are floating in water. My brain won't shut off sometimes which usually leads me to never making progress.