Triceratops Desk [Completed] [With Video]

kingkai112

[build Completed] [With Video]

The basic idea of this is to create a chest of draws with a desk on top. The top draw will be locked in position and will have a glass top so the computer will be visible through the desk. 

I have designed some drawings but my artistic skills are virtually nothing and my sketchup knowledge is inexistent. The money for the build itself has been saved by me after doing multiple paper rounds.

The name Triceratops (A Dinosaur) is because all the computers in the house are named after dinosaurs as the server is called Jurassic.

The Parts:

• CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 (From previous build)
  • CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 (Getting for Christmas)
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Gene (From previous build)
  • RAM: 16GB G.Skill RipjawsZ (From previous Build)
  • Storage: 128GB Samsung 830 series SSD + WD Green 2TB (From previous Build)
  • Video Card: Any suggestions for mild video editing for approx. £150? - Temporarily using onboard.
  • PSU: Corsair CX430 (From previous Build)

Planning to start building just after/before Christmas. Got some basic woodworking skills.

My Current Build:

OzGtlUy.jpg

OzGtlUy.jpg

Sorry, for hurting your eyes with that stock Intel Cooler!

Follow this topic for instant updates.

throw that heatsink out the window and you will have one badass system

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

Get a GTX 760 or raise your budget some. You didn't clarify if you're wanting to do gaming (what games?) or just building a pc for whatever. 

Over this past week I have had several deliveries of parts for the build. These have been from Kustom PC and Amazon.

Pics below:

SFtNlGQ.jpg

Above: Motherboard tray from Lian-Li

64GNMnx.jpg

Above: Vandal Switch (Power Button) with cable attached. Used for powering computer.

esHKbFW.jpg

Above: Anker USB 3.0 Aluminium Hub to save me from messing with front panel connectors etc.

A3sn2ck.jpg

Above: USB SD Card reader. Not necessarily for the build but still useful.

Got yet another delivery off of Amazon and Kustom PC. This means I will be ready to build straight after Christmas.

UC4Z76G.jpg

Above: Phobya 30cm Red LED Strip

4C26LSw.jpg

Above: ArctiClean CPU Thermal Compound Cleaner

HJOQ9qw.jpg

Above: 140mm to 120mm Fan adapter (So I can easily attach my fans)

wXPgQqW.jpg

Above: Be Quiet Silent Wings 120mm Fan attached to 140mm to 120mm fan Adapter.

9PtqfaJ.jpg

Above: 140mm Fan filter for intake fans (Lent against my Moto G with a flip cover case on) 

As this is the final delivery of bits and bobs expect the main build to begin a week or so after Christmas day.

Started building Stage 1. I will upload photos in the morning as it is too dark outside; looking really cool.

Began work; got more stuff done than I was expecting to do.

dMMUp4q.jpg

Above: Been drilling holes ready for the fans. The MDF is there to prevent the plyboard from splintering.

wfu8CrC.jpg

Above: Another shot showing what I have done.

t41vPu2.jpg

Above: Got the frame constructed, ready for paint.

RIuwYnM.jpg

Above: Got the first layer of varnish down. Unfortunately, I have just realised that I forgot to drill a hole through to the next shelf down for my TV set top box; I will have to do that in the morning. :-( 

The project should hopefully be finished in approximately a week.

Began work; got more stuff done than I was expecting to do.

Above: Been drilling holes ready for the fans. The MDF is there to prevent the plyboard from splintering.

bove: Another shot showing what I have done.

Above: Got the frame constructed, ready for paint.

Above: Got the first layer of varnish down. Unfortunately, I have just realised that I forgot to drill a hole through to the next shelf down for my TV set top box; I will have to do that in the morning. :-( 

The project should hopefully be finished in approximately a week.

This is going to look sweet when your done.

One question what color you going to paint it or are you just going to stain and varnish it? 

Horizontal In Theory, Vertical In Practice. Know Hope [Productions]
Design is not meant to be observed; it's to be enjoyed and interacted with. - JValen

Always Remember Love What You Do.  :lol:

This is going to look sweet when you're done.

One question what color you going to paint it or are you just going to stain and varnish it? 

I am going to paint it with a transparent varnish. The first coat is shown in my latest image. 

I was thinking about painting it in a grey but decided not to.

I have finally got the build finished except for the glass; that is coming.

86GlYFg.jpg

Above: The full dsk with my dual screen monitors above.

yFiysqQ.jpg

Above: The internals of the computer itself.

S0c4wgh.jpg

Above: The rest of the unit, with the power button.

Just thought that I would add that I am a 13 year old boy!

Sweet Dude i wish i could have that BTW i'm in UK and 14 :(

| Ryzen 7 3700x | 16GB Vengance @ 3200 | MSI GTX 1070Ti Gaming | 

| ADATA XPG SX8000NP 256GB Nvme SSD + WD Blue 500GB SSD | 4TB WD Blue |

| Corsair RM650x |        

| NZXT H200 White |

looks good. 

I've thought about building a desk PC too, but I go to 2 LAN's a year so it would have to be a second PC. 

Core i7-2600k @ 4.65Ghz - Asus Maximus IV Gene Z - 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LP Cerilian Blue - Samsung EVO 840 250GB - Seagate Barracuda 7200 1TB - 2x EVGA Geforce GTX 760 SC - Corsair AX850, custom sleaved and length - Silverstone Sugo heavily modified - Full loop with EK blocks and 360 rad, frozenq res. 

• 4 weeks later...

Now got a YouTube video to go with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvSn6sNXcTY

This is uploaded on my channel so please subscribe as I have bigger plans for it.

Maybe even in the top 500 tech YouTube channels... one day!

To be honest, when I saw how young you are in the video, I just immediately closed the tab. Well, it wasn't quite immediately, because I've seen enough to be shocked by the quality of the video and editing.

I opened the tab again and watched the whole thing. You are ridiculously good. (I was about to add "for your age", but I've seen videos of adult tech enthusiasts that were multiple times worse)

Needless to say - I'm subscribed and waiting for the next vid.

/EDIT: Also, looking at the pictures, I remember seeing this build log before and never in a milion years I would've thought the person who built such a well made PC desk could be 13.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

To be honest, when I saw how young you are in the video, I just immediately closed the tab. Well, it wasn't quite immediately, because I've seen enough to be shocked by the quality of the video and editing.

I opened the tab again and watched the whole thing. You are ridiculously good. (I was about to add "for your age", but I've seen videos of adult tech enthusiasts that were multiple times worse)

Needless to say - I'm subscribed and waiting for the next vid.

/EDIT: Also, looking at the pictures, I remember seeing this build log before and never in a milion years I would've thought the person who built such a well made PC desk could be 13.

Thank you so much  :)

Thank you so much  :)

I'm serious man. When I was 13, I started looking at computer hardware and the first time I picked some components, it was for a PC under 300€ that I wanted to play GTA IV on.

It was the worst combination ever. I picked LGA1156 just because I liked that number more...

Since then, I was one of the most active members on a small Slovak computer forum. (I'm no longer that active, high school is really tough and time consuming)

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

Nice work man. Is that standard ply? little tip - always try where you can to use birch ply, if you didn't this time. It's more expensive but the finish is miles beyond regular ply.

Good to see a young person doing things like this. When I was a kid I used to build speaker cabinets. There was no PC modding then :D

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

Nice work man. Is that standard ply? little tip - always try where you can to use birch ply, if you didn't this time. It's more expensive but the finish is miles beyond regular ply.

Good to see a young person doing things like this. When I was a kid I used to build speaker cabinets. There was no PC modding then :D

I wanted to use birch ply but could not find any places which had it locally, so I had to use what was available. Thanks though, for the suggestion.

looks good mate, Could of gone with a gloss black finish to the desk, would look awesome .. I've subsribed to the youtube channel .. give it a few years you could be giving Linus a run for his money or even OC3D 

Akasa Venom Viper Full Tower Case | Intel i7-3930k @ 3.20Gh | Corsair 240Gb GT SSD Raid 0 | Samsung 23" LED 1080p FULL HD (x2) MSI Big Bang-ZPower II Socket 2011 XL ATX Board | Gigabyte GTX 680 | Windows 8.1 Pro | WD Caviar Red 3Tb HDD | Akasa Venom Voodoo high Performance CPU Coolerr | TP Link Wireless N DualBand | Pioneer BDR optical Drive | Corsair Vengance 16Gb Ram

looks good mate, Could of gone with a gloss black finish to the desk, would look awesome .. I've subsribed to the youtube channel .. give it a few years you could be giving Linus a run for his money or even OC3D 

Thought about doing it in a grey but, decided not to as it wouldn't have looked right in my room.

My dad wants me to do one for him sometime so I might try doing in a glossy black so I can see which looks best.

R9 280

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

―  C.S. Lewis  :)