CrossFire not working properly - R9 270

Hello guys.
I got another GPU for my self and set up Crossfire of R9 270. 
Things I have done:
-Uninstalled display drivers.
-Inserted one card and installed the drivers (Omega 14.12)
-Installed the other card. (To let windows install the drivers)
-Installed the bridge

After that I have testet the GPU in benchmarks and my FPS is almost double.
But then I tried BF4 and FC3 and f... No FPS increase, and a lot of stuttering. Sometimes there is about 20 more FPS but the stuttering is so bad that even with 80FPS it's unplayable. Please help me frown.gif ((((

My specs:
FX 6300 4.6 Ghz
GA-970A-DS3P
4 GB 1333 mhz RAM (getting another 8 GB soon)
2xMSI R9 270 Gaming 2GB

**I know I run them at x16/x4 but I see the increase in FPS (almost double) in benchmarks. I should see 5-10 FPS more than 1 gpu.**

Thanks a lot smile.gif 

P.S. I'm gonna throw my self from a bridge xD:(

EDIT: I thought it was a CPU bottleneck but it run the same as stock (3.5 Ghz) as it run at 5.1 Ghz (1.55V) 
Any idea?

Hello guys.

I got another GPU for my self and set up Crossfire of R9 270.

Things I have done:

-Uninstalled display drivers.

-Inserted one card and installed the drivers (Omega 14.12)

-Installed the other card. (To let windows install the drivers)

-Installed the bridge

After that I have testet the GPU in benchmarks and my FPS is almost double.

But then I tried BF4 and FC3 and f... No FPS increase, and a lot of stuttering. Sometimes there is about 20 more FPS but the stuttering is so bad that even with 80FPS it's unplayable. Please help me frown.gif ((((

My specs:

FX 6300 4.6 Ghz

GA-970A-DS3P

4 GB 1333 mhz RAM (getting another 8 GB soon)

2xMSI R9 270 Gaming 2GB

**I know I run them at x16/x4 but I see the increase in FPS (almost double) in benchmarks. I should see 5-10 FPS more than 1 gpu.**

Thanks a lot smile.gif

P.S. I'm gonna throw my self from a bridge xD:(

EDIT: I thought it was a CPU bottleneck but it run the same as stock (3.5 Ghz) as it run at 5.1 Ghz (1.55V)

Any idea?

With crossfire don't use mantle, more ram will help, those games (bf4 at least) uses 6gigs. I don't know muxh about FC3/4 because i don't have it.

Also disable ULPS (ultra low power saving) when running CF it always gived me problems in games.

Main rig. Updated :D CPU: FX8350 @stock Cooler: Corsair h110 Motherboard: Ga-990fxa-ud5 Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 1866Mhz GPU: MSI GTX 970 SLI (blower cooler)  PSU: Cooler Master Silent pro 850w SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue Case: Thermaltake core V71 Fan controler: NZXT Sentry

Secondary PC: CPU: i5 4670k @stock Cooler: Thermaltake NIC L/31 Motherboard: Asus Z97I-PLUS Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 2133Mhz GPU: ZOTAC GTX 780 (Titan cooler) PSU: Antec 520m Pro SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue & WD 2TB Green Case: Thermaltake core V1

try using sapphire trixx and enabling the option to synchronize cards in multi-gpu config. 350x700px-LL-2b70f82d_trixx.PNG

also, in Catalyst control center, try adding a custom gaming profile for the game you are playing, and see if there is a custom pre-defined crossfire profile for that game. otherwise, the driver will stick with the default mode which may or may not always work.

might look something like this (random image from google):

WORd6J.png

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

With crossfire don't use mantle, more ram will help, those games (bf4 at least) uses 6gigs. I don't know muxh about FC3/4 because i don't have it.

Also disable ULPS (ultra low power saving) when running CF it always gived me problems in games.

I didn't run BF4 with mantel. I run it with DX11. Yes I now that I need more RAM but with 1 GPU I get 60 AVG FPS while with 2 GPUs it's unplayable.

I did disable ULPS but didn't help :S

try using sapphire trixx and enabling the option to synchronize cards in multi-gpu config. 350x700px-LL-2b70f82d_trixx.PNG

also, in Catalyst control center, try adding a custom gaming profile for the game you are playing, and see if there is a custom pre-defined crossfire profile for that game. otherwise, the driver will stick with the default mode which may or may not always work.

might look something like this (random image from google):

WORd6J.png

Ok, thanks. I will try that and post back if it fixs anything :)

Tried the Sapphire Trixx and adding custom profile but no luck :( Still stutters a lot and FPS sometimes drops to 30. It's really unplayable.

Tried the Sapphire Trixx and adding custom profile but no luck :( Still stutters a lot and FPS sometimes drops to 30. It's really unplayable.

Check with GPU-z the memory bandwidth of each card, if the second doesn't say 256bits then ULPS did not disable properly, and you will have to do it manually from registry

Main rig. Updated :D CPU: FX8350 @stock Cooler: Corsair h110 Motherboard: Ga-990fxa-ud5 Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 1866Mhz GPU: MSI GTX 970 SLI (blower cooler)  PSU: Cooler Master Silent pro 850w SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue Case: Thermaltake core V71 Fan controler: NZXT Sentry

Secondary PC: CPU: i5 4670k @stock Cooler: Thermaltake NIC L/31 Motherboard: Asus Z97I-PLUS Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 2133Mhz GPU: ZOTAC GTX 780 (Titan cooler) PSU: Antec 520m Pro SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue & WD 2TB Green Case: Thermaltake core V1

You're running it in PCI/e 2.0 x4 slot? I mean... that should be a bit of a bottleneck shouldn't it? If it was PCI/e 3.0 x4 it'd be okay, as that's v2.0's x8...

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

If its a pcie 2.0 4x slot it may likely be the cause.. not having enough bandwidth on the slot.

Note - some games are wayway more bandwidth heavy than other games and this is no doubt why it isn't happening in everuthing.

Look up data rates for pcie 2.0 4x and you'll see its not a lot compared to pcie 16x in 2.0/3.0 mode.

One main reason why I myself have not upgraded to 2x 290's cos I have 16x/4x also.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

In GPU-Z it says 256 bit.

Yes I am runing x16/x4 CrossFireX, but I have seen people runing R9 270s in x16/x4 and they have maybe 10% loss.

Also I have 90%-100% scaling on heaven and valley. I have an 600W (40A dual rail 12v) can this caus this problem?

Any solution? :)

Every game I play I get lower FPS and a lot of stuttering, but when I run Benchmarks (3D Mark, Heaven, Valley, Furmark etc.) I have double the FPS :( Any fix or should I get an 8x/8x mobo. But I'm worried that even when I get the new mobo it won't work :( 

Every game I play I get lower FPS and a lot of stuttering, but when I run Benchmarks (3D Mark, Heaven, Valley, Furmark etc.) I have double the FPS :( Any fix or should I get an 8x/8x mobo. But I'm worried that even when I get the new mobo it won't work :(

Try uninstalling drivers and use an older version or a beta one.

Also select custom install and dont install hdmi sound or something like that it gave me problems with my 280x cf

Try uninstalling drivers and use an older version or a beta one.

Also select custom install and dont install hdmi sound or something like that it gave me problems with my 280x cf

Ok, I will try that. Can you please explain me what to do step by step ( I mean do I have to remove the graphics,bridge or anything?) Thanks a lot :) I appriciate all your help guys :)

Ok, I will try that. Can you please explain me what to do step by step ( I mean do I have to remove the graphics,bridge or anything?) Thanks a lot :) I appriciate all your help guys :)

Well you can always take out the cards phisically and then put them back in (on the same PCI slots) just to make sure that proper contact is being made, but if you get good FPS on benchmarks i wouldnt do it.

just uninstall the graphics driver, you may want to use one of those programs for removing drivers that everyone recomends, i dont use them though.

then download the previous version or a more updated version that is still in BETA stage from AMDs website.

Once you start the installation, just select a custom installation, and install everything BUT HDMI AUDIO driver, because it will cause a hardware conflict that will sometimes make your gpu driver to fail or mess up with your sound.

after the installation is over you will have to disable ULPS again (manually is my recomendation).

after that si done, delete the bf4 forlder in your documents folder, and do a file check on BF4, my friend had a lot of issues with his bf4 and it was because there where some files damaged (from a clean install of windows and bf4, some files somehow where bad)

see if that helps, you may want to try another game that supports crossfire after the drivers install.

come back to us wheter it worked or not.

ALSO make sure you have some of those Visual C++ Runtime libraries (the newer ones), also download directx installer, you may be missing some files @__@, and Net Framework. These things are required by some programs to run smoothly , it may be whats missing =D

EDIT: more RAM will help, try running the x86 (32bits) version of BF4 until you have more ram, faster ram also helps on BF4, as was proved by some testing made by Corsair.

-The 32bit version of BF4 is on the gaes folder, i don`t know if you can..like choose in origin which version you want to run.

Well you can always take out the cards phisically and then put them back in (on the same PCI slots) just to make sure that proper contact is being made, but if you get good FPS on benchmarks i wouldnt do it.

just uninstall the graphics driver, you may want to use one of those programs for removing drivers that everyone recomends, i dont use them though.

then download the previous version or a more updated version that is still in BETA stage from AMDs website.

Once you start the installation, just select a custom installation, and install everything BUT HDMI AUDIO driver, because it will cause a hardware conflict that will sometimes make your gpu driver to fail or mess up with your sound.

after the installation is over you will have to disable ULPS again (manually is my recomendation).

after that si done, delete the bf4 forlder in your documents folder, and do a file check on BF4, my friend had a lot of issues with his bf4 and it was because there where some files damaged (from a clean install of windows and bf4, some files somehow where bad)

see if that helps, you may want to try another game that supports crossfire after the drivers install.

come back to us wheter it worked or not.

ALSO make sure you have some of those Visual C++ Runtime libraries (the newer ones), also download directx installer, you may be missing some files @__@, and Net Framework. These things are required by some programs to run smoothly , it may be whats missing =D

EDIT: more RAM will help, try running the x86 (32bits) version of BF4 until you have more ram, faster ram also helps on BF4, as was proved by some testing made by Corsair.

-The 32bit version of BF4 is on the gaes folder, i don`t know if you can..like choose in origin which version you want to run.

Oh, thanks a lot :) I will try everything that you stated and than I will let you know :)

No fix yet :( Tried everything you stated. In every game I tested I see less frames than with one R9 270. (CS:GO, BF4, BF3, Far Cry 3, NFS:MW, NFS:Rivals) but in benchmarks it's dooble.

Does anyone have this problem or am I the only one ? If so please help me guys :( Got this card a week ago to have better FPS and to game better but I just made it worse :(

No fix yet :( Tried everything you stated. In every game I tested I see less frames than with one R9 270. (CS:GO, BF4, BF3, Far Cry 3, NFS:MW, NFS:Rivals) but in benchmarks it's dooble.

Does anyone have this problem or am I the only one ? If so please help me guys :( Got this card a week ago to have better FPS and to game better but I just made it worse :(

:c try swapping them.

Do you run the game at the same settings on single and CF?

:c try swapping them.

Do you run the game at the same settings on single and CF?

Tried no fix :S

But I borrowed my cousins motherboard with CPU to test it (Couldn't change his CPU to give my CPU a shoot with that mobo because I didnt have thermal paste to change after the CPU change but I thing the FX 8320 is the same as FX 6300 in core preformance, just has two more cores, but since games can't handle more than 4 cores it's the same, btw he is running stock while mine at 4.6 Ghz) He has an MSI 990FXA-GD65 (2x PCIE 16x running both at 16x) and hes 8320 stock, and had no issues. The FPS in games was dooble! :) So do you think if I buy an 16x/16x or 8x/8x mobo I will fix this problem? Thanks a lot :)

But I borrowed my cousins motherboard with CPU to test it (Couldn't change his CPU to give my CPU a shoot with that mobo because I didnt have thermal paste to change after the CPU change but I thing the FX 8320 is the same as FX 6300 in core preformance, just has two more cores, but since games can't handle more than 4 cores it's the same, btw he is running stock while mine at 4.6 Ghz) He has an MSI 990FXA-GD65 (2x PCIE 16x running both at 16x) and hes 8320 stock, and had no issues. The FPS in games was dooble! :) So do you think if I buy an 16x/16x or 8x/8x mobo I will fix this problem? Thanks a lot :)

My CF is running on 16x 8x and only ulps gave me problems, so you can start there and see what fits your budget, if you can get a 16x 16x with appropiate spacing for airflow on the gpus go for it.

My CF is running on 16x 8x and only ulps gave me problems, so you can start there and see what fits your budget, if you can get a 16x 16x with appropiate spacing for airflow on the gpus go for it.

Ok thanks a lot for you help SkulD :)

I will get an 16x/8x motherboard and then I will let you know :) Btw what do you think about this mobo? http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A99X_EVO_R20/ ? Should I get it for 135 euros in my contry (Montenegro) ? :) Thanks

EDIT: Or should I go with the lower cost (120 Euro) MSI 990FXA-GD65 http://www.msi.com/product/mb/990FXAGD65.html#hero-overview

but the problem with this mobo is that the GPU2 fan1 will be almost touching the PSU ?  This one is 16x/16x btw :)

Also try updating your mobo's bios if there is an updated version it may do the trick, before comiting to buy a new one

Edit: sorry double post, conection at the airport sucks

Ok thanks a lot for you help SkulD :)

I will get an 16x/8x motherboard and then I will let you know :) Btw what do you think about this mobo? http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A99X_EVO_R20/ ? Should I get it for 135 euros in my contry (Montenegro) ? :) Thanks

EDIT: Or should I go with the lower cost (120 Euro) MSI 990FXA-GD65 http://www.msi.com/product/mb/990FXAGD65.html#hero-overview

but the problem with this mobo is that the GPU2 fan1 will be almost touching the PSU ? This is 16x/16x btw :)

Go with the msi one, if your cards are only dual slot and not 2.5slot it will be fine, my crossfire setup has the second card just as low like the msi mobo so it will be fine.

Go with the msi one, if your cards are only dual slot and not 2.5slot it will be fine, my crossfire setup has the second card just as low like the msi mobo so it will be fine.

Ok :) I think it is dual only. My card is MSI R9 270 2GB Gaming so I think it is 2 slot.

Also try updating your mobo's bios if there is an updated version it may do the trick, before comiting to buy a new one

Ok I will try. How should I do it? And is there a risk that the mobo won't boot? Also I have the DualBIOS feature but there is no switch in the board to change it? Does it change automatically if I broke the first BIOS? :)

Ok :) I think it is dual only. My card is MSI R9 270 2GB Gaming so I think it is 2 slot.

Ok I will try. How should I do it? And is there a risk that the mobo won't boot? Also I have the DualBIOS feature but there is no switch in the board to change it? Does it change automatically if I broke the first BIOS? :)

Ill have to do some research on the dual bios thing, as for updating your mobo, there should be a program on your mobo's manufacturer's page, go to your mobo's page and it should be on utilities, on the same page there should be the option to download the latest bios.

The bios updater program should also tell you which version you are running right now