Double Amputee Controls Bionic Arms with his Mind

Looks like we're one step closer to Deus-Ex style augmetics.  :P

Some good news for amputees coming in the next five to ten years thanks to Johns Hopkins University and DARPA.

Scientists recently equipped double amputee Les Baugh with a pair of Modular Prosthetics Limbs (MPL) that he controls with his mind.

But it wasn’t easy for Baugh, a Colorado man who lost both arms in an electrical accident nearly 40 years ago. Surgeons at Johns Hopkins essentially had to wake up dead nerves, and reassign others in Baugh's chest, so he could control the arms through his nerves. The process of “re-enverating” was, as Baugh said in the above video, quite painful.

Currently in a prototype phase, the bionic arms were attached to a special harness that uses pattern recognition to observe muscle activity generated by the re-awakened nerves. It then translates the activity into impulses that move the fully articulated arms and hands. According to researchers, they provide Baugh with 30 degrees of motion on both sides.

Source: http://mashable.com/2014/12/18/double-amputee-bionic-arms/

Give it 20 years, and losing your arm won't even be that bad

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

This is awesome.

CPU i7-9700K @ 5 GHz Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F RAM Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (4x8) 3000 MHz GPU ASUS RTX 2080 ROG Strix OC x2 SLI Case Corsair Graphite 780T Storage 256 GB Samsung 860 EVO, 6 TB Seagate Barracuda PSU Corsair HX1200i, 1200W Display(s) ASUS PG279Q (1440p 165 Hz), ASUS VG248QE (1080p 144 Hz) Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin 360 radiator Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Logitech G502 Sound Logitech G35 Operating System Windows 10

So he is a psychic. Telekinesic?

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Did he ask for that?

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

Super cool!

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

It will still be pretty fucking painful, but you will be able to recover. I wonder what will come first, prostetic arms or lab grown arm replacements.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Bad? Stupid enough people will themselves cut their arm to attach that arms :D

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Its more like using muscle activity in his chest and shoulders. The painful part that most people skim is that they had to perform surgery to re-purpose some of the nerves in his chest and back just so electrodes can classify them.