Well derp me. MSI H97M-G43 problems

dragoon20005

Well this trouble is really puzzling as I never encountered this problem before.

This pc was built just few days ago.

Initially the integrated HD4600 was wonky because i installed the old drivers from the included disc(yes my first derp...). This issue was sorted after i reinstall the OS which is Win 8.1,update the BIOS to version 2.7 and installed the latest drivers.

All the above went well without a hitch.

But this morning, my dad called me and say the display was not working and was showing the error code A2.

According to sources online ,the error code is related to drives problems.

There are 4 drives in which one is a SSD from Sandisk and the rest are WD Blue 1TB, black 500GB and a 320GB.

But the odd thing here starts, my dad went to adjust the memory allocation value for the iGPU to 64MB and poof, it works!

Just to be sure we did a cold boot and it pass the error and shows the MSI Logo and then boot to OS. Then he try 128MB and it works too. But 256 and 512 will not work and will give the A2 error.

@i_build_nanosuits

Spec of the PC are as follows.

Intel i5 4460

MSI H97M-G43

Kingston HyperX Black Fury 1866MHz 4GBx2

CoolerMaster V550 Gold PSU

CoolerMaster N400 casing

SanDisk Ultra Plus 128GB SSD

WD 1TB Blue

WD Black 500GB

WD 320GB

need your wisdom on this witch craft.

Thanks

Regards

dragoon20005

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Do you have a spare GPU you can use? Maybe the iGPU is a bit wonky.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Do you have a spare GPU you can use? Maybe the iGPU is a bit wonky.

sadly i don't

this build was build without the dGPU in mind

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

sadly i don't

this build was build without the dGPU in mind

Darn. I would lend you my GT610, but I want mine as a backup. Get a GT610, they're like 20-30 bucks. If you don't game, the card is fine.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

looking into this nothing comes up in mind will have to do some research will come back with results tomorrow has i have to go to sleep right now...is the bios on optimised default settings?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

looking into this nothing comes up in mind will have to do some research will come back with results tomorrow has i have to go to sleep right now...is the bios on optimised default settings?

most likely could be BIOS troubles

will have to get back home to check on the settings

Darn. I would lend you my GT610, but I want mine as a backup. Get a GT610, they're like 20-30 bucks. If you don't game, the card is fine.

I went for this board as it has DisplayPort, HDMI and DVI 

my dad is using a Dell 26" 1920x1200 monitor which uses DVI-D

in the near future when he pick a bigger monitor, he could use the onboard to power the 3440x1440 ultrawide monitors via DisplayPort

Ok new update.I reflash the BIOS again to make sure it properly flashed. The A2 error is gone when i use 512 & 256. But now the pc refuse to shut down when i press shutdown in Windows!!! I revert back to 64 and everything fine.

What the hell man MSI...

Ok new update.I reflash the BIOS again to make sure it properly flashed. The A2 error is gone when i use 512 & 256. But now the pc refuse to shut down when i press shutdown in Windows!!! I revert back to 64 and everything fine.

What the hell man MSI...

Maybe it's just a bad board maybe. Try to RMA it.

What the hell man MSI...

this is most likely software related issue...but my question is why do you allow so few memory for the Igp to access...i would give it at least a GB (1024mb)...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

this is most likely software related issue...but my question is why do you allow so few memory for the Igp to access...i would give it at least a GB (1024mb)...

The highest it can go is 512MB. Which is kinda broken... Might have to wait for version 2.8 to see if this is fixed by then.

The highest it can go is 512MB. Which is kinda broken... Might have to wait for version 2.8 to see if this is fixed by then.

that's wierd...you should be able to give the IGP access to the full 8GB if you would want to...is it working alright now?

that's wierd...you should be able to give the IGP access to the full 8GB if you would want to...is it working alright now?

Nope when i set to 512 the system could not shut down -.-

• 2 months later...

here is a new update to this tread

I noticed version 2.7 of the BIOS is removed from the MSI Product page

maybe they found out the BIOS is broken so they nuked it and add in Ver 2.8

also there are driver updates for Intel Graphics and Chipset driver

will be trying the newer BIOS and driver and see if that works

http://www.msi.com/support/mb/H97MG43.html#down-bios

http://www.msi.com/support/mb/H97MG43.html#down-driver&Win8.1 64

well good news and bad news

the update went smoothly

bad news is the 512MB settings is still refusing to let the PC shut down

and noticed a funny bug upon bootup, the audio will be muted but will work fine after i unmute it