Broken graphics card

yourdad165

So I'm at my friend's house, and he has an old PC that could potentially still run games fine. However the graphics card seems to not be working properly because there is no signal on the monitor whatsoever. All components turn on and all fans run but the monitor says no signal, although it does recognize it is plugged in.

Any suggestions? Thanks for any help! :)

So I'm at my friend's house, and he has an old PC that could potentially still run games fine. However the graphics card seems to not be working properly because there is no signal on the monitor whatsoever. All components turn on and all fans run but the monitor says no signal, although it does recognize it is plugged in.

Any suggestions? Thanks for any help! :)

What graphics card, graphics card driver, and monitor?

Maybe the Bios has reset itself to defaults and is trying to use the onboard output instead of the dedicated gpu output.

Go into bios and make sure everything GPU wise, is set properly.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Maybe the Bios has reset itself to defaults and is trying to use the onboard output instead of the dedicated gpu output.

Go into bios and make sure everything GPU wise, is set properly.

How can I get to it if the screen is black?

What graphics card, graphics card driver, and monitor?

Old Zotac card, old motherboard.

Pull out the graphics card for now and use the onboard video...

Pull out the graphics card for now and use the onboard video..

I don't know if the processor has integrated graphics.

Can you give the model of the mobo? It should be printed on the pcb somewhere around the CPU socket...

Older systems (most) have onboard graphics built into the board, not the CPU. If there's a video output on the I/O, it'll work. (Assuming the onboard video actually works)

Deciding what to put in my sig is too much of a task for me. 

Older systems (most) have onboard graphics built into the board, not the CPU. If there's a video output on the I/O, it'll work. (Assuming the onboard video actually works)

Still a black screen.

Still a black screen.

If the motherboard has a built in speaker try taking all of the memory out. If the board doesn't beep then the board is bad. If it does beep, I'm going to assume it's either the CPU or RAM. I would lean more towards the RAM however. 

Deciding what to put in my sig is too much of a task for me. 

If the motherboard has a built in speaker try taking all of the memory out. If the board doesn't beep then the board is bad. If it does beep, I'm going to assume it's either the CPU or RAM. I would lean more towards the RAM however. 

Probably the RAM, it's old DDR2 memory so it's not a big deal if it's broken.

Well if it has an onboard output on the back of the motherboard, put the cable into that.

WHich you've already tried by the look of it above...

You could also remove the PCIE SLOT GPU, boot into onboard, Then put it back in, select PCIE GPU and reboot.

Sometimes you have to do stuff to the PC it should have been able to do itself without your intervention.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Well if it has an onboard output on the back of the motherboard, put the cable into that.

WHich you've already tried by the look of it above...

You could also remove the PCIE SLOT GPU, boot into onboard, Then put it back in, select PCIE GPU and reboot.

Sometimes you have to do stuff to the PC it should have been able to do itself without your intervention.

Thanks for the help, we ended up just taking the HDD and moving it to his new PC. It was only 300 GB but memory is memory right? :)

Thanks for the help, we ended up just taking the HDD and moving it to his new PC. It was only 300 GB but memory is memory right? :)

Ahem, "storage is storage"*. ;P

Should have tried taking out the graphics card and then try to use the onboard one. 

Totally Rad Dude!   :D

Should have tried taking out the graphics card and then try to use the onboard one. 

I did try that and it didn't work so I guess the board is fried? Although everything else did work perfectly, by that I mean at least all the fans were spinning.