Blu ray player or 5.25" blu ray drive?

Alir

I'm building a PC for media, gaming, work, programming, some other things, and need to choose an optical drive - believe it Gabists.

I am trying to decide between a regular optical drive and a blu ray drive - of course the blu ray drive will be backwards compatible.

If I don't get a blu ray drive, I will get a blu ray player at some point. Which should I go for?

Is it better to go for a blu ray drive for my pc, or a separate blu ray player? Both are approximately the same price - between £50 - £100 on amazon - though more for around £50.

Here's the problem with a BR drive for my PC: non of the drives I've found come with software for actually playing blu ray discs. You need to find or pay for your own software for playing blu ray discs.

Though VLC - free - can play blu ray discs - I don't think it can play blu ray 3d discs though - I think those exist lol

I don't have a 3d tv, but want to keep my options open since I will be buying a new monitor next year.

Anyone with experience on either a player of a 5.25" drive: Your input is welcome.

There's nothing a pc can't read one way or another. So I'd go for the drive. If you choose the player, wait: 4k blu-ray is coming relatively soon so you might want to wait for a player that reads h265.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

There's nothing a pc can't read one way or another. So I'd go for the drive. If you choose the player, wait: 4k blu-ray is coming relatively soon so you might want to wait for a player that reads h265.

A medium for 4k? Awesome!

But doesn't that mean there will also be 4k blu ray 5.25" optical bays?

Would it not then just be better to buy a regular drive now cheap and wait for the new drives?

I don't have any blu ray discs right now.

Most Blu-ray players in the last year, year and a half  support upscaling to 4K.

No need to spend a lot,. if the main selling point is upscaling to 4K, chances are it's overpriced.

it's like those "HD Antennas"......They are just UHF antennas with HD slapped on the label and sold at a premium.

I opted for the blu ray drive. I found a logitech drive that was cheaper then most other blu ray players and it came with software to play blu ray discs. Also if you wanted to watch something on a tv you can just hook up your pc to a tv. Here is the drive I bought.

Edit: I just realized you aren't in the US so I don't know if this will be available for you or not but yeah worth a look. 

Intel i5 3570k
NVidia Geforce GTX 670

A medium for 4k? Awesome!

But doesn't that mean there will also be 4k blu ray 5.25" optical bays?

Would it not then just be better to buy a regular drive now cheap and wait for the new drives?

I don't have any blu ray discs right now.

No, because the actual discs will be the same. Only the format of the file changes. There are some 4k blu rays atm, but tey use h264 and usually take 4-5 discs for a single movie.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I opted for the blu ray drive. I found a logitech drive that was cheaper then most other blu ray players and it came with software to play blu ray discs. Also if you wanted to watch something on a tv you can just hook up your pc to a tv. Here is the drive I bought.

Edit: I just realized you aren't in the US so I don't know if this will be available for you or not but yeah worth a look. 

sweet! That's the one I found from amazon i posted in the other forum.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AK29B26/ref=gno_cart_title_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

I'll go for it. :)

No, because the actual discs will be the same. Only the format of the file changes. There are some 4k blu rays atm, but tey use h264 and usually take 4-5 discs for a single movie.

Dayum.

Heard what happened to your ring. Sad story bro.