Taking Raid1(mirror) drives from Synology NAS and putting to PC ?

bydus
Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,

I'm building a pc and wanted to have the hard drives from my synology network nas in my PC. I have the drives setup as Raid1 2x3tb drives in Mirroring mode, my question is what will happen if I put them both in my pc ? Will I need to format them both first or will they work no problem ? I can setup RAID1 mirroring mode on PC as well yes ? Many thanks

Hey there bydus,

I believe Synology uses Linux on their NAS devices. If you run Linux on that build, you should be able to stick the drive in and see the data. A simple test would be to get one of the drives, run Linux and connect it. your data would be safe since you are running a mirror mode.

If your OS cannot read the files, a simple workaround would be to get one of the drives out of the Synology NAS, install it in the PC, prepare the drive the usual way (partition, enable RAID, format, etc.). Your system should be able to run RAID1 in degraded mode if you still plan on using RAID1 on the new build. Just turn on the Synology NAS and copy the data from it to the drive inside your build. Once it's done, just get the second drive from the NAs to the PC and your system should start mirroring the data. All data should stay intact. 

This should avoid any data loss. I would do a full backup, just in case.

Hope this helps,

Captain_WD.

I'm building a pc and wanted to have the hard drives from my synology network nas in my PC. I have the drives setup as Raid1 2x3tb drives in Mirroring mode, my question is what will happen if I put them both in my pc ? Will I need to format them both first or will they work no problem ? I can setup RAID1 mirroring mode on PC as well yes ? Many thanks

Hey there bydus,

I believe Synology uses Linux on their NAS devices. If you run Linux on that build, you should be able to stick the drive in and see the data. A simple test would be to get one of the drives, run Linux and connect it. your data would be safe since you are running a mirror mode.

If your OS cannot read the files, a simple workaround would be to get one of the drives out of the Synology NAS, install it in the PC, prepare the drive the usual way (partition, enable RAID, format, etc.). Your system should be able to run RAID1 in degraded mode if you still plan on using RAID1 on the new build. Just turn on the Synology NAS and copy the data from it to the drive inside your build. Once it's done, just get the second drive from the NAs to the PC and your system should start mirroring the data. All data should stay intact. 

Hope this helps,

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey there bydus,

Hope this helps,

Captain_WD.

Many thanks for detailed explanation :) all my questions answered, best regards! 

What you can do is remove one drive and put it into the PC and format it. Keep the other drive in the NAS and copy all files to your PC and hope that the drive doesn't die before you finish.