Advice needed - Building a PC for graphics and 3D works and moderate gaming - Budget $2000usd

Go to solution Solved by Archangel1994,

The GTX 980 can beat the 780Ti with equal overclocks because maxwell is stronger per core. Go for GTX 980. 

Edit: 780Ti and 980 are about equal in performance

Hello, my fellow LTT lovers!

I'm planning to build a new pc mainly for graphics design and 3d work use, and for some moderate gaming as well ( League of Legends, StarCraft2 and maybe other not too demanding games).

I'm kinda newbie on the fields of pc techs and builds, but done a lot of reading on this matter in the last two months.

I would like to ask your help in building my PC.

This is what I'm thinking of so far (everythings up for changes):

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($374.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 94.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($239.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($259.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 730 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($216.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate SV35.5 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($62.00 @ B&H)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB Video Card  ($569.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($142.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1981.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-25 10:09 EDT-0400

So this is it. I'm waiting for your opinion.

As you can see, i didn't put the components into a case, because I didn't decide if i want to buy one or build a custom one yet. I don't have much experience on the field of building cases either, but i really like the idea, and think would be able to manage it. The reason i want to build a case is because i can't find a case that's build is featuring wood, and I want it to be made of the same wood that my table is made of.   Anyway i might end up buying a cheap one for the moment.

You might ask "why the x99 mobo and ddr4 rams, when they bring lower value compared to older techs? - welll that's up for discussion... I put them into the build because I think this generation is going to be on spotlight for the next few years, meaning it might get way better eventually, and i won't regret the extra bucks spent on them. (I may be totally wrong - feel free to share your opinion on this matter)

The 5820k sounds to be a great pick over the 4790k since I need the PC mainly for graphics work and that kind of stuff, so I can make a good use of the two extra cores.

The real question is if I want to go with the new GTX 980 or the 780 ti instead, because of the lower price of the 780ti and the extra CUDA cores it has - that I might take advantage of - but it's got 3gb, doesn't have display port and maybe it's lacking other important things too. I need your opinion on this as well.

I would like to hear your recommendation on great monitors for graphics works too, likely to be 30" or around. I like the 32" BenQ bl3200pt. It's pricy, but im willing to pay that kind of money for a good monitor. (The monitor costs aren't part of the $2000 budget-neither are the case and other periferals.)

Thanks in advance for your replies, advices and recommendations!

The GTX 980 can beat the 780Ti with equal overclocks because maxwell is stronger per core. Go for GTX 980. 

Edit: 780Ti and 980 are about equal in performance

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Why would you get the Intel 730 when you can get the faster Samsung 850 pro 256GB for cheaper?

Edit: I noticed that you said wood. I would suggest getting a metal case and cutting out pieces/building around it, but if you want a fully wooden case, look at this: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/26658-fully-wooden-computer-case-woody/

Thanks for your adivce guys, i will stick with the 980 and a metal case with wood built around it.

Thanks!

Adde at least one backup drive  ... it would be a shame to lose all your hard work ... just because of a drive failure

and you may consider dual GTX 780Ti s the price is falling and they are better for rendering