Upgrading from old I5 750

Patramix

Hello everyone

as title says, i am currently on an old I5-750 oc'ed at 3.8 since launch and starting to show signs of age and damage or its the motherboard, either way i had to lower the clock down to 3.6 to stop some glitching i was having.

so starting in November ill be starting to buy replacement parts

gonna keep my GTX 680, intel 320 128g ssd, and a few other HHD, might need a new PSU not sure currently got an old XFX Black Edition 850W silver, 800D and also keeping my custom water cooling loop 

Looking at getting :

CPU :I7 4790k,

MB: possible the MSI Z97 Gaming 7, haven't decided yet

Ram : 32gig of (A-Data XPG 2133 or G.Skill Ripjaws X or similar )

was also looking at getting a bigger SSD and maybe using the onboard M.2 slot for it, found some Crucial M550 512gb M.2 for a decent price i think or should i just stick with a normal 2.5 ssd

i am trying to keep the price bellow 1000$can for the upgrade so the ssd might be an add-on later on if i need to change the psu

any thoughts on motherboards and M.2 standards ? 

Have a good day

Pat.

All of life is forged from Hell, Yet from its beauty our legacy began.
 My Boinc Stats

Spoiler

CPU : I7-4790K, MB : ASUS Maximus VII Hero, Ram : Vengeance Pro 32gb, GPU : Asus Strix GTX 1070, PSU : XFX 850w Black Edition

i am in canada, forgot to mention that!

My Boinc Stats

Spoiler

CPU : I7-4790K, MB : ASUS Maximus VII Hero, Ram : Vengeance Pro 32gb, GPU : Asus Strix GTX 1070, PSU : XFX 850w Black Edition

i am in canada, forgot to mention that!

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($358.78 @ DirectCanada) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Plus ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($126.00 @ DirectCanada) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($310.48 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Crucial M550 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($282.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($219.89 @ DirectCanada) 
Total: $1298.14
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-22 19:13 EDT-0400

Don't know why you need 32gb. If you're doing heavy workload stuff, you might as well move on up to X99. By the by, you can see here the difference in price between two different Crucial SSDs, one m.2 and one conventional 2.5''.

i wish i could afford an X99 system, but cant really spend more then 1k, maybe 1.2 if i get an extra bonus at work next month.

i currently have 16gig and i keep running out, i am a heavy multitasker, gamer, eve-online (up to 4 clients), and do a bit of video editing and rendering. 

that board... blue... no, lol current build is blue so i am staying away from that this time.

yeah i was looking at m.2 and wondering if it had better performance, but from my research i don't think there would be much difference. so might as well save some money and get a 2.5''.

My Boinc Stats

Spoiler